Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2020 8:40:53 PM EDT
So I'm starting to think I should reassign my pistol suppressors to PCC use only.

While I do enjoy how they sound on a handgun when shooting, no matter what I try I constantly have to retighten the suppressor on the host. Sometimes it's after a few rounds, sometimes it's after a whole mag. But no matter what when there is a break in the shooting I still grab it and make sure it's tight.

Now I haven't tried anything like teflon tape or some other kind of material for a tighter fit.

I have tried screwing it on then torquing it tight by hand. I've tried the method where you screw it on, then back it off and snap your wrist, repeating a few times. No matter what it loosens.

Also unless I have a specific rig for a suppressed pistol it's about impossible to carry on my self, it has to stay on the bench.

Am I wrong in my thinking?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the same problems.  I just bought some of the STA3 from Griffin to try on the threads, but havent gotten a chance to try it out yet.  I tried teflon tape, but my piston threads are so sharp, they just rip the teflon off the barrel threads as soon as I put the piston on the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the same problems.  I just bought some of the STA3 from Griffin to try on the threads, but havent gotten a chance to try it out yet.  I tried teflon tape, but my piston threads are so sharp, they just rip the teflon off the barrel threads as soon as I put the piston on the barrel.
View Quote

Yeah I finally had an end cap strike on my Revolution 9 tonight. Baffles are all fine. Gives me an excuse to buy one of their wipe ready endcaps
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:13:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I rarely shoot centerfire pistols suppressed. Just a cumbersome setup. I will say the Maxim 9 is a really nice package overall and is a far better platform that a standard pistol and long can IMO.

At the end of the day I rather be shooting rimfire or centerfire rifle.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Pistols are meh suppressed.
PCC’s shine when suppressed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy some O-rings on Amazon
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah I finally had an end cap strike on my Revolution 9 tonight. Baffles are all fine. Gives me an excuse to buy one of their wipe ready endcaps
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I might pick up one of the 9mm flash hider endcaps with their 15% off this weekend to try on my Octane 45.  Not sure if I will ever use the wipe, but I guess having the option is nice.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Isn't that a big no no?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:36:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes I have sold all my threaded barrel hosts and my can lives on my AR9. It was an expensive lesson but it's all good now.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:49:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Not for everyone, but I like a can on a full size handgun for home defense.

Sure a shotgun or rifle is going to be more effective, but a handgun is handier.

Hope and pray I never need it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:50:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Isn't that a big no no?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't that a big no no?

explain why it would be a no no.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:28:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:57:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a hybrid on the way and have no desire to get any pistol other than a braced scorpion. A g19 with a can does nothing for me. Ymmv
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

explain why it would be a no no.
View Quote

I assume because it could lead to not being square on the shoulder.

In fact if I remember right the M9A3 I had specifically said to remove the o ring before installing a suppressor.

I could be mistaken though
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

But pistols when PCC'd are pretty sweet.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#16]
A full sized pistol with 15-20 rounds of ammo and 10+ ounces of silencer on the end is indeed unwieldy. Lots of folks are finding new homes for their pistol cans on PCC;s. I've been thoroughly enjoying a couple of non-boostered 9mm cans on a growing collection of .32 auto pistols. A nice old historical gat like a 1903 Colt with a threaded barrel from In-Lead -We-Trust, and a 6-7 ounce 9mm can is just a bit more of a handful than a .22 with a contemporary can, and makes a sound between a suppressed 9 and a suppressed 22. Lots of fun, no recoil, and no ejection port bark like you get with a lot of fixed barrel .380's with a 9mm can.

SilentMike
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I've used an oring when putting my octane 45 on 9mm hosts, I know its not seating perfect but I also check to make sure I'm not deflecting enough to have a baffle strike.

Most of the time though I just tighten it when it's really hot (using a welding glove) and then I don't have a problem.... until it comes to getting the darn thing off.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've been thoroughly enjoying a couple of non-boostered 9mm cans on a growing collection of .32 auto pistols. A nice old historical gat like a 1903 Colt with a threaded barrel from In-Lead -We-Trust, and a 6-7 ounce 9mm can is just a bit more of a handful than a .22 with a contemporary can, and makes a sound between a suppressed 9 and a suppressed 22.
View Quote

@Atlmike, have you tried the In-Lead-We-Trust .25 threaded barrel yet? You know you have to build a complete set:

Note: Yes that is a Spectre 2 on that .25acp, no I didn't shoot it like that, was just to get an idea of supressor sizing.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:I will say the Maxim 9 is a really nice package overall and is a far better platform that a standard pistol and long can IMO.
View Quote

Agreed, actually sold my other handguns and dedicated the Tirant 9s to a PCC after getting the Maxim 9.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

But pistols when PCC'd are pretty sweet.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/123106/Capture_PNG-1429147.JPG
View Quote

I get everyone has different tastes. What does that set up get you that a PCC designed as a PCC doesn’t?  Do you still have a piston/tilting barrel? I want to understand, but just don’t get it.  Why?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@Atlmike, have you tried the In-Lead-We-Trust .25 threaded barrel yet? You know you have to build a complete set:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/219100/20180623_221330-1429170.jpg

Note: Yes that is a Spectre 2 on that .25acp, no I didn't shoot it like that, was just to get an idea of supressor sizing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been thoroughly enjoying a couple of non-boostered 9mm cans on a growing collection of .32 auto pistols. A nice old historical gat like a 1903 Colt with a threaded barrel from In-Lead -We-Trust, and a 6-7 ounce 9mm can is just a bit more of a handful than a .22 with a contemporary can, and makes a sound between a suppressed 9 and a suppressed 22.

Nice family you got there! Definitely have one of their .25 barrels on my to-get list. Gotta track down a decent 08' to go with it.

It'd be kind of interesting to make a .25 cal can, just to see what it'd be like.

SilentMike
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Put a tiny tiny amount of rocksett at 12 and 6 on the threads of muzzle, let it dry.

TINY.

Thread on supressor, it should take a decent amount of torque now, but not too much if you didn't over do it. If it didn't take some torque to overcome the rocksett, try again with a bit more.

This can at least solve the problem of the supressor backing off so easily.

Keep in mind - even on your PCCs, your supressors are all threaded on.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Put a tiny tiny amount of rocksett at 12 and 6 on the threads of muzzle, let it dry.

TINY.

Thread on supressor, it should take a decent amount of torque now, but not too much if you didn't over do it. If it didn't take some torque to overcome the rocksett, try again with a bit more.

This can at least solve the problem of the supressor backing off so easily.

Keep in mind - even on your PCCs, your supressors are all threaded on.

View Quote

3 lug master race. Even more so with the Rugged 3 lug where I can spin it in both directions meaning I can always install/removing while turning clockwise to keep the mount tight on the can.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#24]
When endurance testing pistol cans at AAC/Remington, we used one of the products put out by Vibratite. We would apply it as a viscous liquid to the threads the day before testing. Thee next day you could wind the can onto the now-tacky threads, and the cans would stay put for the duration of testing.

SilentMike
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I get everyone has different tastes. What does that set up get you that a PCC designed as a PCC doesn’t?  Do you still have a piston/tilting barrel? I want to understand, but just don’t get it.  Why?
View Quote

This just makes your Glock 17/19 much more capable and fun.  But it is quieter than an MP5 with Omega 9k......

And it takes glock mags......  

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#26]
My Osprey rarely backs off and if it does it's easy to visually tell so I don't have keep checking it. My round pistol cans I check every magazine.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Obsidian 9 / Stock Glock 19 gen 5 / KKM Suppressor barrel

Suppressor stays tight - if anything gets tighter with fire.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Rockset or however it’s spelled works well

I had a trek-t that would always come loss so I got a bottle of that and it works great just don’t use more than a dropping
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Pistol shooting with suppressors sounds cooler than it is.  As others have said the real deal is PCC
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:20:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Give the threads some plumbers Teflon tape and you'll be in business.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:51:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:25:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Yea my first can was a 9mm and while kinda fun, its fairly useless on a pistol. Now it’s dedicated to my 300blk Sugar Weasel and it excels in that role.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:28:31 AM EDT
[#33]
https://www.griffinarmament.com/st-3a-thread-sealant/

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:54:59 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't like shooting them for different reasons:

-They're too easy to shoot due to the added weight
-The can is basically the length of the handgun (or longer)
-Can't holster without specific holsters

Simply put, once I take the can off, my Glock feels super light and short. Feel like shooting suppressed handguns for a long while ends up being a training scar.

All of my Pistol cans slowly migrated to living on the PCC's

Suppressed pistols mainly only come out for letting friends and family shoot to put smiles on their faces.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 3:02:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Wouldn't the answer be a Beretta 92 (with threaded barrel).  Lol.

I use my 9mm suppressor on a PCC and love it (AR9 and Scorpion).  I will eventually get a G19 and threaded barrel to use it on that.

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Bought my Kraken for a PCC. Have occasionally thought about getting a threaded barrel for my P320, but I think you guys have saved me that money.

I will say that I shoot a rimfire pistol with can and it's OK.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#37]
I guess they are fun to shoot occasionally and I keep one on my nightstand gun (92A1) while I'm home, but IMO the novelty wears off quick.  I like pistol cans for PCCs and lever guns.  3-lug is the way to go!  Kinda cool to shoot .38SPL super quiet and then have the option to take game with .357MAG out of the same rifle and can.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Bought my Kraken for a PCC. Have occasionally thought about getting a threaded barrel for my P320, but I think you guys have saved me that money.

I will say that I shoot a rimfire pistol with can and it's OK.
View Quote

Have you ever shot suppressed centerfire pistol? I believe the 320 is a good host from what I've heard and the Kraken is both very quiet and balances as well as a full size pistol suppressor can. I say give it a try and see if you like it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:16:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Have you ever shot suppressed centerfire pistol? I believe the 320 is a good host from what I've heard and the Kraken is both very quiet and balances as well as a full size pistol suppressor can. I say give it a try and see if you like it.
View Quote

I have never shot a CF tilt barrel gun suppressed. My PCC is technically a pistol, but I know what you mean. A threaded barrel isn't super money. Maybe I will check it out.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Give the threads some plumbers Teflon tape and you'll be in business.
View Quote

I'll say it again. I heard it here, didn't really buy it, but tried anyway. It just works. One single wrap of regular old teflon tape and that can isn't coming off until you unscrew it.

I'll also say it again, as someone that enjoys their silenced pistols, they're really a novelty/toy. Maybe for some (me included) they're useful for deer hunting, but it's always going to be awkward to carry a silenced pistol.

Ever notice the HSLD operators don't have cans on pistols? Because they're bulky, annoying, cumbersome, and even with loctite/teflon still a liability. Maybe some of those cool guys do have a can in their pack to shoot dogs or guards or whatever secret squirrel shit they do, but that's likely such a small minority of use of a pistol that it's negligible. If they're using silencers, it's on long guns.

I've heard rumors that with today's advancements in electronic hearing protection, they're going BACK to loud mode in CQB, because they have ears on and the bad guys (we can assume) don't. Going for the "shock and awe" effect, as well as the added agility of not hanging a can off the gun. Suppose it also helps if they have braked rifles, which I'm sure the actual SF types have access to.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'll say it again. I heard it here, didn't really buy it, but tried anyway. It just works. One single wrap of regular old teflon tape and that can isn't coming off until you unscrew it.

I'll also say it again, as someone that enjoys their silenced pistols, they're really a novelty/toy. Maybe for some (me included) they're useful for deer hunting, but it's always going to be awkward to carry a silenced pistol.

Ever notice the HSLD operators don't have cans on pistols? Because they're bulky, annoying, cumbersome, and even with loctite/teflon still a liability. Maybe some of those cool guys do have a can in their pack to shoot dogs or guards or whatever secret squirrel shit they do, but that's likely such a small minority of use of a pistol that it's negligible. If they're using silencers, it's on long guns.

I've heard rumors that with today's advancements in electronic hearing protection, they're going BACK to loud mode in CQB, because they have ears on and the bad guys (we can assume) don't. Going for the "shock and awe" effect, as well as the added agility of not hanging a can off the gun. Suppose it also helps if they have braked rifles, which I'm sure the actual SF types have access to.
View Quote

I am sure some are Oper8tors here lol, but really most of my cans are for defense type builds. Where I won't be able to don night vision, plate carriers, or necessarily hearing protection - not to mention I may need to actually hear those around me, etc.

So, a k can on a 7" 300blk AR and on a pistol... hey.... now everyone will certainly fucking hear it, but the bark is tamed a bit so as to not absolutely disorient the one having to pull the trigger....

If I were an operator, I'd do all kinds of things differently, like have my stealth blackhawk at the ready for evac, call in air cover from an A10 and have drones take out those fleeing in vehicles.

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have never shot a CF tilt barrel gun suppressed. My PCC is technically a pistol, but I know what you mean. A threaded barrel isn't super money. Maybe I will check it out.
View Quote

I'd actually go the other way and say don't bother.  Only because you said a suppressed 22lr was OK.  Most people would say 22lr is the most fun you can have suppressed, and I'd agree, so if you were meh on that then don't expect anything from centerfire pistols.  They are fun but I don't shoot them much at all anymore.  Usually only with people who haven't had a chance to try them out or new shooters.  I do shoot my Maxim quite a bit but it fixes all the suppressed pistol issues, other than the garbage trigger.  I could just be interpreting your comment wrong also.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Yeah, you misunderstood my OK. Suppressed .22 is great, bolt rifle and semi pistol. Suppressed 9mm AR is good, but I'm already looking towards delayed blowback. But I've only looked at threaded barrels in passing for my Sig 9mm.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Good to see I wasn't the only one in my thinking!

I'll just use this as an opportunity to buy another 9mm PCC
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I am sure some are Oper8tors here lol, but really most of my cans are for defense type builds. Where I won't be able to don night vision, plate carriers, or necessarily hearing protection - not to mention I may need to actually hear those around me, etc.

So, a k can on a 7" 300blk AR and on a pistol... hey.... now everyone will certainly fucking hear it, but the bark is tamed a bit so as to not absolutely disorient the one having to pull the trigger....

If I were an operator, I'd do all kinds of things differently, like have my stealth blackhawk at the ready for evac, call in air cover from an A10 and have drones take out those fleeing in vehicles.

View Quote

Absolutely. A can on a house gun is generally a good idea. Suppose as long as it's not a 20" barrel. K can on a 7" BO sounds great for that use. Or any size can on a pistol.

But what I'm saying is how do you carry that silenced pistol afield? I have a burn proof holster that I like well enough, but it's still damn cumbersome and annoying compared to a regular pistol.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is a definite need here for a new cartridge:  The 5.7 FN SuperShort.     (Just couldn't stand to wait until next April 1st).

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:26:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Pistols that need pistons are a kludge jerry rigged contraption.  I don't even bother to do it since I have a Maxim 9.  That's what you seek, in spite of the crap trigger it's the best suppressed pistol platform.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:30:03 PM EDT
[#48]
They need to release the non NFA version of the Maxim, with an improved trigger.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:22:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

https://www.griffinarmament.com/st-3a-thread-sealant

This product is a vibratite brand product unavailable in small containers through vibratite (a min size bottle is like $80) that is applied to threads (not shoulders) dries in about an hour. It is reusable (remove +reattach) about 5 times.

View Quote

How much should I use on a handgun barrel?  Should I treat it like loctite and put one drop on one side of the threads, or should I paint it on so that most of the threads are covered?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top