Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2024 8:26:32 PM EDT
So I'm in the process of rebuilding my belt kit after having my old belt stolen last year.  I used to run the esstac kywi's and I was very happy with that design but I figured since I'm rebuilding my setup anyway I might as well get some input on some of the new options out there.  Now that they've been out for a while, I'm curious what the consensus is surrounding both the spiritus systems pistol mag pouches and the unobtainium gear pistol mag pouches, and how they stack up against the venerable kywi.  

I'm looking to buy 3 pouches of a similar size total.  I typically like to carry 3 pistol mag pouches around the 9 o'clock, with one sitting in a JSTA pouch, alongside a rifle mag.  Something I really appreciate about the kywi is how easy it is to reindex mags without looking or messing around with the pouch and I''d like to retain that ability. I'm not a big fan, however, of how bulky the belt ends up being with no mags inserted so I'd like to find something that collapses down a bit nicer. And it seems both the SS and UOG do this better while still allowing reindexing.  I also like that they can be setup for active mag retention, though it may be pretty unnecessary for my application.

The third pouch will sit just behind my holster around the 4 o'clock and will house my leatherman MUT.  I definitely like to keep the leatherman in a closed flap pouch to keep dirt and debris out and have used a t3 and ats pistol mag pouch in the past for this purpose but the UOG pouch looks like it might work too.

I'd love to hear y'all's input on these 3 pouches and how they stack up against each other.  Also, if you have any suggestions for pouches I've missed here, I'm all ears
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:08:35 AM EDT
[#1]
The Haley Strategic pistol pouches come with a magnet inside the back.

Discussion of the pistol pouches starts at 8:40.

HSP Rifle & Pistol Mag Pouches
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been using the Haley Strategic pouches on my USPSA/2-Gun/Training belt for a bit over a year now and would absolutely recommend them.

I looked at pouches like the Kiwis but went with the Haley because I wanted to easily change the setup from 2011 to Glock as quickly and easily as possible. Re-indexing is still very easy as the pouches have a bit more structure to them than something like the Blue Force Gear pouches. Retention is excellent, even when sprinting through longer 2-gun stages. The pistol pouches were a bit on the grippy side when I first got them, but have now broken in a bit to be really excellent.  

It's also worth noting that I also have a multi-tool behind my holster and Haley does make a specific multi-tool pouch, which fits my MUT perfectly.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:30:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#3]
Long ago there was a poster here who tested some (Tactical Tailor, I believe) magnetic mag pouches, mounted on front of his belt, against a typical hand-held magnetic compass.  He posted that the magnetic mag pouches caused a deflection in the compass readings: The closer to the pouches, the more the deflection.

Can't say I was surprised.

I have managed to find pouches acceptable for my purposes which do not include magnets.

Wouldn't hurt to do a re-test if one already owns some magnetic mag pouches.  Please report back.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
The HSP pouches look pretty nice.  I've been reluctant to use them in the past because I've heard that the tacky interior can be too much retention when your hands are wet and slippery but if that'll break in and ease up I'm not opposed to that.  My primary sidearm is a Glock though I do have a p320 that I'll use occasionally.  Does the plastic mag body cause any issues with the high-friction interior? Also, what is the purpose of the magnet inside the pouch? Is it supposed to be similar to the magnet KYWIs where you can throw a spare mag or keys or whatever on the outside?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#5]
If anyone has any recommendations on pouches that will fit a Surefire Fury too I'd love to hear it.  I had trouble fitting it in the T3 and ATS pouches I've used in the past and it probably wouldn't fit in the HSP multitool pouch either.  I usually end up keeping it in the JSTA or just in my pocket but I'd rather have a dedicated pouch if possible.  Ideally something with a flap too.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#6]
As a "General" suggestion, see if one of these pistol mag pouches will do: BAE/Eclipse

Stupid cheap for Top-Tier quality.  I have a number of them, and they are fully equivalent to any similar pouches, and better made than most.

I've been suggesting BAE/Eclipse gear for a long time.  I've never had anyone come back to me saying it wasn't "Top-Tier" quality.

Quite the opposite.

Disclaimer:  No Financial Interest.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By raf:
Long ago there was a poster here who tested some (Tactical Tailor, I believe) magnetic mag pouches, mounted on front of his belt, against a typical hand-held magnetic compass.  He posted that the magnetic mag pouches caused a deflection in the compass readings: The closer to the pouches, the more the deflection.

Can't say I was surprised.

I have managed to find pouches acceptable for my purposes which do not include magnets.

Wouldn't hurt to do a re-test if one already owns some magnetic mag pouches.  Please report back.
View Quote

It wasn't me, but I have observed this phenomenon. I cut the magnet out of the TT pouch (threw it in the tool drawer to hold small punches). I have a suspicion that helped demagnetize my Suunto wrist compass. Great pouch, otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By racastaneda:
If anyone has any recommendations on pouches that will fit a Surefire Fury too I'd love to hear it.  I had trouble fitting it in the T3 and ATS pouches I've used in the past and it probably wouldn't fit in the HSP multitool pouch either.  I usually end up keeping it in the JSTA or just in my pocket but I'd rather have a dedicated pouch if possible.  Ideally something with a flap too.
View Quote

A BFG single pistol mag pouch works fantastically for flashlights. My EDC light is a Surefire G2X and I carry one in on their belt pouches. No flap, but the pouch closes around the tube and keeps crud out.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#9]
As a "General" suggestion, see if one of these pistol mag pouches will do: BAE/Eclipse

Stupid cheap for Top-Tier quality.  I have a number of them, and they are fully equivalent to any similar pouches, and better made than most.

I've been suggesting BAE/Eclipse gear for a long time.  I've never had anyone come back to me saying it wasn't "Top-Tier" quality.

Quite the opposite.

Disclaimer:  No Financial Interest.
View Quote

I’d buy several of these right now if they came in multicam. I’d very much like to keep all my kit consistent
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:40:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#10]
I was an early adopter of the haley and hated them

Spiritus are entirely too expensive for what you get... and that's coming from a spiritus whore.
Unobtainium are my standard
Shaws are similar
Kiwi's are solid for pistol magazines but a bit limited for similar sized items
Taco's are the best for multi-purpose pouches for pistol sized items

If you're into the eclipse eco system the axl pouches are awesome
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Here's my P2X Fury in the pistol pouch:

Attachment Attached File

It fits in the HSP multi-tool pouch but the flap will not hit the velcro, so I wouldn't recommend that:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By lew:

It wasn't me, but I have observed this phenomenon. I cut the magnet out of the TT pouch (threw it in the tool drawer to hold small punches). I have a suspicion that helped demagnetize my Suunto wrist compass. Great pouch, otherwise.
View Quote
Did you ever send the wrist compass back to Suunto?  If so, what was the result?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:42:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#13]

I'd buy several of these right now if they came in multicam. I'd very much like to keep all my kit consistent
View Quote
I understand.  The greenish "Khaki" color in which these pouches are offered is one of the base colors included in Multicam, so not a glaring difference.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:55:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#14]
I prefer "universal" pouches since I have a tendency to change my handgun out occasionally (Glock 9mm then HK USP45 then back to Glock 9mm then HK45 then back to Glock 9mm ... you'd think I would just use the Glock).  I read, a few times, about people having issues with magnetic pouches so I gave all of those away.   I've been using Eagle Industries MOLLE SFLCS and MLCS pouches.  Some were a little tight with USP45 mags until they stretched but others were fine straight away.

These are NOT "cool guy gear" but they work well for me.  I don't "re index" as I just let them drop or throw them in a pocket / DP.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Did you ever send the wrist compass back to Suunto?  If so, what was the result?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lew:

Actually, that never even occurred to me. I'll see if I still have it.

To be honest, between my Casio Pro Trek's onboard compass, a baseplate compass, GPS, and the ease of navigation here in The West, I no longer have a need for a wrist compass.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Real_PhillBert:
It fits in the HSP multi-tool pouch but the flap will not hit the velcro, so I wouldn't recommend that:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/400754/1000003864_jpg-3151533.JPG
View Quote

I wonder if a strip of One Wrap attached to the hook and loop on the flap and then onto the body would be a convenient fix for that issue.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Real_PhillBert:

Here's my P2X Fury in the pistol pouch:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/400754/1000003862_jpg-3151532.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/400754/1000003864_jpg-3151533.JPG
View Quote

I want to get an Esstac lidded double pistol Kywi pouch and see if it'll hold my light (Surefire G2x) and multitool (currently the ST300 from Leatherman). The thing is I don't know if I need to order the Glock version or the 2011 version. I think the Glock version is a bit larger, so that one may be the best option. But I'm thinking it probably won't matter since I'll probably just remove the insert anyway. Since it has a lid, I won't need the insert for retention.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:
I was an early adopter of the haley and hated them

Spiritus are entirely too expensive for what you get... and that's coming from a spiritus whore.
Unobtainium are my standard
Shaws are similar
Kiwi's are solid for pistol magazines but a bit limited for similar sized items
Taco's are the best for multi-purpose pouches for pistol sized items

If you're into the eclipse eco system the axl pouches are awesome
View Quote

I’m not super worried about price here. Ultimately this is all just a hobby for me so I don’t mind spending a little extra for the designer brand tax. I haven’t looked at the Shaw pouches yet though so I’ll add that to the list

I know everyone swears by tacos but they are probably my least favorite mag carrier I’ve ever used. I think they’re criminally ugly and, more importantly, I find the bungees get caught on shit all the time.

Unfortunately I’m running a BFG chlk belt so the eclipse kit won’t work for me
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Personally, I only have a Glock and a p320 that I’d use on my gun belt so that’s all I need mag pouches for but I haven’t seen many threads on this topic so I always think it’s good to add general info in these threads for anyone looking for something similar in the future
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:57:00 AM EDT
[#20]

I’m not super worried about price here. Ultimately this is all just a hobby for me so I don’t mind spending a little extra for the designer brand tax. I haven’t looked at the Shaw pouches yet though so I’ll add that to the list

I know everyone swears by tacos but they are probably my least favorite mag carrier I’ve ever used. I think they’re criminally ugly and, more importantly, I find the bungees get caught on shit all the time.

Unfortunately I’m running a BFG chlk belt so the eclipse kit won’t work for me
View Quote

I believe the Axl pouches have a version specifically for the CHLK. I have two node pouches and I like them. They’re nice because you can change the orientation to straight or angled based on the mounting hardware.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top