Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2021 7:15:10 PM EDT
Why couldn't you file for a form 1 SBR on a pistol chassis? Thinking something like a Recover Tactical brace or B&T USW or even a chassis for the Ruger PCC. In all three cases the buttstock attaches to the chassis and not directly to the pistol frame. Without the chassis, the frame can't accept the stock.

One argument might be that the pistol frame is serialized, but what if you use an 80% frame or even 3D print the frame?

Another argument could be that the chassis doesn't meet the definition for a firearms, however neither do registered auto sears or for that matter AR15 lowers.

Has anyone tried registering a chassis and been approved?
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#1]
The form 1 will be denied because the device being registered doesn't meet the legal definition of a SBR.

Registered sears and the like are different because conversion parts are explicitly included in the legal definition of "machinegun"
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#2]
When marking form 1 suppressors you can engrave the end cap, tube, or mount. When marking your info on an AR15 SBR, you can mark the barrel with your info instead of the receiver. Why wouldn't the chassis be different? Couldn't the frame of the chassis qualify as the frame to be marked?
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 8:20:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When marking form 1 suppressors you can engrave the end cap, tube, or mount. When marking your info on an AR15 SBR, you can mark the barrel with your info instead of the receiver. Why wouldn't the chassis be different? Couldn't the frame of the chassis qualify as the frame to be marked?
View Quote

SBR "conversion parts" are not a NFA item like they are with machineguns, you have to register an actual firearm, be it an existing title 1 firearm you are converting or a firearm you are making from scratch. It'd be like trying to register an AR stock with the belief that you can now make any firearm a SBR just by using that stock.

The engraving requirements are a completely separate thing, just because ATF lets you engrave maker info on the barrel instead of the frame doesn't make the barrel itself a NFA controlled item.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#4]
EDIT: I was going to say something but honestly it made me more confused than when I started, lol.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 1:09:58 AM EDT
[#5]
You should read the latest ATF proposal on what will constitutes a firearm frame.  It’s only going to get more confusing.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I also noticed the BATFE doesn't like when people try to get creative, i.e; loophole that people find.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I decided to take the path a least resistance and ordered a completed P80 lower that I'll dedicate for use in a chassis.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top