Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#1]
i am TOTALLY painting one of my AR's and my 700P with that method.   those look GREAT!  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By hsracer:
i am TOTALLY painting one of my AR's and my 700P with that method.   those look GREAT!  

well, i said i was gonna do it.  i finished it about 12:30 a.m. this morning.   i am at work now, so no pics of it in the outdoors, but here's a few pics.

yeah, i know it's not an AR, i'm gonna do that on monday or tuesday.  i'm not really happy with these colors and i want to pick up something a little lighter.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#3]

well, i said i was gonna do it.  i finished it about 12:30 a.m. this morning.   i am at work now, so no pics of it in the outdoors, but here's a few pics.

yeah, i know it's not an AR, i'm gonna do that on monday or tuesday.  i'm not really happy with these colors and i want to pick up something a little lighter.

i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/hsracer201/0106-251307.jpg

i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/hsracer201/0106-251313.jpg

i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/hsracer201/0106-251316.jpg

None of my business...just my opinion...but from my experience it looks as though you either held the can too close to the rifle or tried to cover too much of the rifle with paint.  Personally, I would have used more needles and less paint.  I like to spray one color (say OD) in stripes that are about 5"-6" apart.  Then go back and spray brown between the OD stripes.  

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:43:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hsracer] [#4]

Originally Posted By bjwar10:

i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/hsracer201/0106-251307.jpg

i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/hsracer201/0106-251313.jpg

i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/hsracer201/0106-251316.jpg

None of my business...just my opinion...but from my experience it looks as though you either held the can too close to the rifle or tried to cover too much of the rifle with paint.  Personally, I would have used more needles and less paint.  I like to spray one color (say OD) in stripes that are about 5"-6" apart.  Then go back and spray brown between the OD stripes.  

you are right.   this was my first time ever trying to do anything like this, so i will learn from my mistakes.  i may re-do it, or i might just leave it alone.

i went home on my lunch break today to try to get some outdoor photos and only had time to upload 1 to photobucket, but i'm fairly pleased.  i need to lighten the inside of the sun shade, it is way too dark in there.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#5]

The pic outside looks much better...whether it is because of the lighting or it's the other side of the rifle...very effective looking in the grass.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Per request from the OP, here's my pinestraw project.
Paint selection from left to right, Rust-Oleum multicolore texture,Deep Forest Green, Autumn Brown and textured Sandstone. Krylon Matte finish and el cheapo flat black I had lying aorund for possible dusting.
Cleaned weapon of oil and dirt. Painted base coat of Sandstone.

Painted Forest green first on my mags and red dot scope.

Then painted them with the Autumn Brown.

Dried everything over heat register inbetween coats.
Yes,the dates on the camera are wrong.
Hey guys and gals. I just finished doing the next steps on the left side of my rifle.
I think I got too complex of a paint for my project as the Rust-Oleum Texured Multicolor paint is VERY thick and as sticky!  
Just the green spray over.

Brown added next.

The thick paint totally covered the serial # so I took a swab and fingernail polish remover and stripped the paint from around it and over it. I will repaint it with a brush or leave it for the 'end of a hollow limb' look. Undecided as of yet.

Finished product.

Pics aren't that good but you get the idea.

If you like the tecnique and final look of the rifles in this thread and want to try it yourself...go for it! You might really be surprised at what you can do if you just try!
Good luck and happy painting!

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Better pics.

Link Posted: 12/7/2007 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Just finished my new Grip-Pod...I did not have any Norrell's Tan on hand so I used some Krylon Satin Nutmeg as a base coat on the Grip-Pod.  Dug out my pine needles and finished it off with the same old Krylon OD, Brown and Khaki.  

You can see that the Grip-Pod has a bit more of a coyote look than the FDE of the Norrell's...same goes for the GGG front sight.

Link Posted: 12/18/2007 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#10]

A few more pics just for the heck of it...

Link Posted: 12/21/2007 12:57:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Great work guys...I'm looking forward to a possible spray job in the near future.
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#12]
These look great. Awesome idea.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Another pinestrawed AR...from lenny16
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the resurection BJwar. My experiences with the pinestraw were these.

1. Cheap way to make a very nice unique rifle.

2. Matches the surroundings the best.

3. Everyone asks "Who did that???? That looks great.

For me I'm looking for a long term finish so instead of Krylon I will be redoing mine with duracoat. The Krylon looks great but comes off easily. If your looking for an easy camo job try this 100%
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Excellent job, brother!
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 11:05:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for resurrecting this thread! I had no idea those camo jobs were that easy....I think I might just beable to do it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 11:50:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: all4freedom] [#17]
To the OP, still the best looking camo job I have seen. I have been looking at camo for years now. You are the king of the can!

To me, nature is random. The OP threw those needles down on the flashlight in the tutorial. They weren't all straight and he didn't lay them at different angles when switching colors. At least that's what I saw. Going to give it a whirl one of these days. I just don't know if I could camo an AR.
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By all4freedom:
To the OP, still the best looking camo job I have seen. I have been looking at camo for years now. You are the king of the can!

Thanks...
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks great I'm going to have to play around with it
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Tag for my summer project
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 10:41:29 PM EDT
[#21]

IMPRESSIVE!

Mike
Link Posted: 2/25/2008 11:42:42 PM EDT
[#22]
tag
looks great!! I have to try this!
Link Posted: 2/28/2008 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#23]
great looking rifle, ill have to try it...
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 3:18:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: all4freedom] [#24]
Well I took the plunge!

First of all, thanks to bjwar10 for the great idea. Thanks for this thread and the tutorials, it was a great help. I hope you don't mind me adding these pics, etc. Here we go...

I've had a synthetic stock for a Mini-14 in the storage room for a couple years. Haven't used the Mini much since I got my AR. So, I figured this would be a good test run.

I bought Krylon Flat Khaki, Olive and Brown from their "camo" line of paint. I also got a can of cheap flat black but ended up not using it.

I went for a ride in the country this morning looking for some good prairie grass to use instead of pine needles because we don't have those 6" pine needles in this part of MO. I found some grass and got a good amount of it. It was a waste of time, it didn't work well at all IMO. It was too flimsy and hard to deal with. So I bit the bullet and went to the Dollar General and got a $5 corn straw broom. Man that thing was a pain to dismantle, but I got her done. A few test runs on cardboard and I was ready to go.

I degreased the stock with brake cleaner and layed down a couple good coats of the flat khaki.

Then I tossed some straws on the stock and sprayed approx 10" away from the stock fairly quicky, working in the same direction as the straw was laying. I used olive first, then brown, but it really doesn't matter.

Then lay some more straws down at different angles elsewhere.

I started to see some coverage here. I started getting brave with the paint after this point. Heck with it, it's not like I'm painting a Bentley.

Then I laid the stock on its back to get some paint on the underneath side.

And again, moving the straws.

And the top of the stock...

And here is the finished stock...

And here it is outside...

Here is a pic of it all put together.

I will be honest, I was a bit unsure of how it was going to turn out. I expected it to be another one of those projects where I get a big idea then am disappointed by the results. So far I'm pretty happy with this one. I'm not sure if I will use a matte clear on it or not. Not today at least.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 11:13:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pjsjr] [#25]
Some more THANKS to bjwar10 and all the others who have "taken the plunge" camoed their pieces and posted their results and tips.

Here's the start of my camoed 10/22...

Some lessons learned, make sure you degrease very well.  BC is cheap, do it several times, and paint the piece in short sessions...don't try to cover the entire piece in the first setting.  I tried to cover with the first coat, got runs and found places where the BC didn't get/or was left and the paint didn't stick.  Takes alot of time to off the paint and start over.  I ended up painting 3-4 thin coats of Krylon waiting 15-20 minutes between coats.

It's snowing and blowing today but my plan is to get pine needles and some yucca tines and try'em out on cardboard and see which I like best.

More later, Preston

ETA
Well after a fight with Mother Nature/yucca and a tussle with Imageshack here are a couple of pics of the finished(?) piece.   My thanks again to bjwar10 and the others who have posted.  Preston

Link Posted: 3/2/2008 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#26]
The camo krylon now has "Fusion Technology" which I figured was a joke. I am amazed thus far at how well it has stuck. I rubbed my thumb across the paint for a while, trying to get it to rub off. It hasn't yet. Keep us updated with pics of course.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 9:38:40 PM EDT
[#27]

The camo krylon now has "Fusion Technology" which I figured was a joke. I am amazed thus far at how well it has stuck. I rubbed my thumb across the paint for a while, trying to get it to rub off. It hasn't yet. Keep us updated with pics of course.

Thanks for posting your pics and procedure.  That's kind of what I had hoped this thread would turn into so other folks could see that it is really pretty easy to do.  

I don't think I have seen anyone's project turn out bad.  Your Mini looks great!
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By pjsjr:
Some more THANKS to bjwar10 and all the others who have "taken the plunge" camoed their pieces and posted their results and tips.

More later, Preston

My pleasure.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 4:29:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eastky454] [#29]
More Duracoat Broomstraw fodder for ya.  Its an essential arms lower, cmmg upper and 18" middy barrel, yhm rifle length tube, and millet 4-16 ill. with tps rings.  Colors are base of magpul FDE, aug green, dirt brown, and combat green shadows.  Make sure you dont miss the howling coyote.  Looks like I need a ARD really bad or mist the inside of the sunshade.

Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't make it over to the refinishing threads much, but I'm sure glad I saw this thread.  That pattern looks GREAT.  Good job to all you guys.  I can't wait to try this on my own.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 10:50:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By 2tothechest:
I don't make it over to the refinishing threads much, but I'm sure glad I saw this thread.  That pattern looks GREAT.  Good job to all you guys.  I can't wait to try this on my own.

Be sure you post pics when you do. I need to camo something else now.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 11:18:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, I had to try it.  I didn't have pine needles, so I used tall grass.  My old .22 became my first victim, and you guys are right, it is addictive.

Link Posted: 3/8/2008 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Nice work. I tried the tall grass, but found it hard to work with. bjwar10 has created a monster.
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#34]

Nice work. I tried the tall grass, but found it hard to work with. bjwar10 has created a monster.

Link Posted: 3/15/2008 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#35]

One more time with the pine needles...

Link Posted: 3/16/2008 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Installed...

Link Posted: 3/16/2008 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I was wondering how the heck this got pushed to page 2. Krylon again this time? I'm tired of drooling over your rifle. Full specs on it please.
Link Posted: 3/16/2008 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#38]

I was wondering how the heck this got pushed to page 2. Krylon again this time? I'm tired of drooling over your rifle. Full specs on it please.

Armalite AR10A4 with factory trigger and medium weight chrome-lined 20" barrel
EMOD stock on VLTOR 5-position tube with Slash's buffer
Hogue grip
KAC 300m rear BUIS
GG&G front BUIS
Nightforce 2.5-10x24 NXS in Larue mount
SWS E1 FF tube with TD panels
Gripod
Phantom 5C2
Modified CQB Solutions 3-point into adjustable 2-point
SAS .30 suppressor

Link Posted: 3/17/2008 7:07:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sanchez24] [#39]
I have truly been inspired by this post.  This is a troy MCS in a "broom pattern"http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3008/2341089321_9103bc77bf.jpg?v=0.  I will be finishing the rifle in another week or so.  Just waiting on the stock.  I followed the writeups but I added a lighter tan color as a fourth color.  Let me know if it works or not.  I'm not sure if I like it or not as much with the light (almost) white color.  I will be doing an M4 with the same pattern colors as BJWAR10.  Thanks again BJWAR, This has been alot of fun!  A few more inside and outside.

Without Flash
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3168/2341082173_476ed163eb.jpg?v=0

With Flash
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2164/2341913742_93575490ac.jpg?v=0

Another Outside Shot
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2033/2341920806_665b5c686f.jpg?v=0
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By sanchez24:
 Let me know if it works or not.  I'm not sure if I like it or not as much with the light (almost) white color.  I will be doing an M4 with the same pattern colors as BJWAR10.  Thanks again BJWAR, This has been alot of fun!  

My pleasure.

FWIW I kind of like the white on that TROY chasis.  I used Krylon khaki to get the shade slightly lighter than the Norrell's...not a lot of it just a few spots here and there.
Link Posted: 3/20/2008 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Refinshed my KISS gun after adding a new FF tube from YHM.  A new set of BUIS are on order to complete it.  Duracoat colors are base of desert warrior dark earth, accented with AUG green, custom brown, and combat green.

Link Posted: 3/21/2008 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Nice job, guys...that stuff looks awesome.

I especially like all4freedoms mini-14. That thing looks slick.

-Jbot
Link Posted: 3/22/2008 1:23:27 AM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By Jesusbot:
Nice job, guys...that stuff looks awesome.

I especially like all4freedoms mini-14. That thing looks slick.

-Jbot

Why thank you. Some good looking guns on here. By far my favorite camo pattern. Bill Jordan ain't got nothin' on this.
Link Posted: 3/27/2008 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#44]
updated with the new set of BUIS.

I just cant make myself paint the aimpoint yet.  The problem is the paint on lettering they use on them...there is no way to save it.......any suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/27/2008 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By eastky454:

I just cant make myself paint the aimpoint yet.  The problem is the paint on lettering they use on them...there is no way to save it.......any suggestions?

Here is my scope with the base coat only (prior to krylon).  After each of the light coats of KG, I took a q-tip and some MEK and removed the KG from the lettering and numbers.  On the final VERY light misting, I left the KG and this is what it looks like.  It subdued the areas without totally covering the lettering.  My only thought for you is that the MEK might take the lettering off the Aimpoint...

Link Posted: 3/28/2008 1:14:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Along the lines of what he said, you might just tape off the lettering then mist it with paint instead of putting it on heavy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2008 9:09:55 AM EDT
[#47]

Along the lines of what he said, you might just tape off the lettering then mist it with paint instead of putting it on heavy.

I tried using tape and my biggest issue was when I went to remove the tape it peeled off some of the finish with it.  YMMV
Link Posted: 3/28/2008 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Has anyone tried the Testors Enamel Paint?
Either through and Airbrush/HVLP or rattle can.

They do have some pretty cool  camo package colors available.

Testors
That shotgun of mine getting stripped and degreased this weekend and pinestrawed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2008 9:39:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: perimedik] [#49]
I did it...
Removed the Duracoat and rattle canned my Mossberg... Never thought I'd get the stones...
Anyhow, stripped and degreased

$1.99

$4.79 for the rattle cans

Base coat Khaki then the Olive

Followed with The Brown

Parts

Fore end

Assembled

Great thread, I had to do it... Did the 18" & the 28" barrels
What do you guys think,

Link Posted: 3/29/2008 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#50]

Looks good to me...a great addition to the thread!
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top