Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2018 10:39:10 PM EDT
Hello all,

On a pin and weld job is one supposed to drill all the way through the barrel? I was under the impression that the pin would only go so far through the threads and perhaps into a slight dimple on the barrel.

I recently received a barrel back from a gunsmith and was surprised to see the cut for the pin and weld actually protrude into the bore near the muzzle. I don’t believe this is supposed to be the case?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree, it should not protrude in
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 11:30:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Post a picture
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 11:42:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Best I could do tonight, iPhone and flashlight - it’s obvious the barrel is drilled all the way through, I just don’t understand how that could be the best/ most acceptable option. I emailed the company but only a few hours ago so hopefully I’ll receive a response back from them tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:12:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Total screw-up by the gunsmith.

New barrel, not just money back.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:31:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Who was the hack (real gunsmith wouldn't do that) who ruined your barrel?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:36:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Its FUBAR’d... they need to take it back.. did you shoot it?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 1:27:23 AM EDT
[#7]
No, it's not. The Smith should fix or replace it regardless but it is salvageable.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for the answers everyone, the company emailed back and explained it as a miscommunication- the employees were supposed to let me know this was the only option as the barrel thickness is too thin (9MM barrel) for a pin and weld and that it shouldn’t affect accuracy.

I don’t know all about that - I know gas ports are drilled into barrels but those aren’t so close to the muzzle. I wasn’t informed in advance of this and I believe other options may have been a better decision, even a silver solder...? The owner asked me to come back in but I don’t know if I should proceed with any more work from this company after this occurrence.

Any help or advice to rectify is appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#9]
if you shoot a bullet through that it will blow....

This is why i do my own
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for the answers everyone, the company emailed back and explained it as a miscommunication- the employees were supposed to let me know this was the only option as the barrel thickness is too thin (9MM barrel) for a pin and weld and that it shouldn't affect accuracy.

I don't know all about that - I know gas ports are drilled into barrels but those aren't so close to the muzzle. I wasn't informed in advance of this and I believe other options may have been a better decision, even a silver solder...? The owner asked me to come back in but I don't know if I should proceed with any more work from this company after this occurrence.

View Quote
That is just an excuse. I have done hundreds, you have to measure and adjust. They just got into going too fast and punched through. However, being right on the end it can be fixed and it is not too hard. Trusting them or not is another story. I would have accepted that it happened and chalked it up to a mistake but claiming it has to be that way is ridiculous and just excusing it.

Link Posted: 10/24/2018 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

LOfuckinL, who did the work?

The flash hider and pin can be removed/replaced and the barrel will be just fine with a hole by the muzzle.

If they wont take care of it, send it to me and I'll fix it for the just cost of return shipping and a new 9mm flash hider.
View Quote
Awesome offer and from the best. This is your best option.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The flash hider and pin can be removed/replaced and the barrel will be just fine with a hole by the muzzle.

If they wont take care of it, send it to me and I'll fix it for the just cost of return shipping and a new 9mm flash hider.
Yup. OP, ask for your money back and get it done with ADCO.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Like others have said, no it should not go through.  Yes it will affect accuracy, maybe not much, but that is not the question.  As for the excuse, if there's though to thread and hold a flash hider, there's enough to pin without a through hole.  Yes blind holes take more time, patience and setup, but if you don't do it right, you're a hack, not a Smith.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow thank you so much for the offer - I’ll PM you and send it in once I decide on how to progress (perhaps for even more work which I will gladly pay y’all for).

I would prefer to not have a hole in the barrel so I’m considering a cut and recrown/rethread for a VG6 Epsilon but I need to make sure I meet OAL (26”) restrictions as this is a Tavor barrel.

My OAL is 24.75 inches from the buttons to the start of the pin/hole in the barrel, and an Epsilon is 2.21 inches so there should be enough room to meet legality correct?

I feel like I’m getting out of my element here, I was just trying to  set this up as my PCC gun for next season.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 9:21:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I’ll add more pictures (once Photobucket isn’t down) as I think I need y’alls help on completing this task, and I definitely plan on contacting the original company to ask for a refund.

The original company who did the work was Blackjack Gunsmithing out of Austin. Everyone was cordial and friendly but I am disappointed in the work - I hope to send it to Adco to rectify.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Uploaded a picture - so for those in the know, If the barrel was cut and crowned at the current pin location (so I don’t have a hole in the barrel ) then there should be enough length to attach a VG6 Epsilon and maintain an OAL of 26” correct?

There is about 3/4” of threads on the muzzle device I presume and a VG6 is 2.21” so it should work?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks big bore, email sent!
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Total screw-up by the gunsmith.

New barrel, not just money back.
View Quote
The barrel is pretty much trash now.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The hole might not affect the barrel life or accuracy, but it DEFINITELY should NOT have been done that way.
View Quote
And it also might affect life or accuracy.

Defects like that in a barrel tend to collect metal and debris as the bullet flies on by.

They are NOT known to improve accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thank you for the answers everyone, the company emailed back and explained it as a miscommunication- the employees were supposed to let me know this was the only option as the barrel thickness is too thin (9MM barrel) for a pin and weld and that it shouldn’t affect accuracy.

I don’t know all about that - I know gas ports are drilled into barrels but those aren’t so close to the muzzle. I wasn’t informed in advance of this and I believe other options may have been a better decision, even a silver solder...? The owner asked me to come back in but I don’t know if I should proceed with any more work from this company after this occurrence.

View Quote
Bull fucking shit!
Who says pins have to go straight into the barrel wall? I have blind pinned many a barrel with the pin on tangent.
It's only a little math.
OP you got fucked and fucked hard by incompetence.
They owe you a refund of their fees and a new barrel.
Accept nothing less.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#24]
I am no gunsmith, but I can guarantee that I can do better than that. They simply didn’t have their stop set at the right depth. The BS about thin barrel wall is just to appease you into not coming after them. If they truly had to do that crap, they should have checked with you before doing it.

Full refund + new barrel, accept nothing less

Then have a competent person do it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Following up - my money and my repair job went to Adco yesterday, it should arrive there next week.

I’ll update when it returns!
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Following up:

Sorry for the delay, finally got to shoot after the pin and weld and Adco did a great job - a big thanks to Adco and to the Arf collective, my PCC is now ready to rock and roll!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top