Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2018 12:13:49 AM EDT
I've narrowed it down to 3 plate carriers and I'm sure I can't go wrong with whichever I choose, but figured I'd ask. I'm looking for a plate carrier to purchase for my wife and I. It'll mainly be used for taking training classes and to just have in case a situation comes up where it might be needed. After lots of research I've narrowed it down to the SKD Pig, Crye JPC 2.0, and the Mayflower APC. Which one would you suggest? Any first hand reviews on these 3? If you have any questions feel free to ask. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 12:37:32 AM EDT
[#1]
You mentioned also buying one for your wife. How big/strong is she? I'm just wondering if you've factored in that she might be less physically capable than you. Also, due to obvious things associated with being female what fits you may not fit her the same way. I know that training/equipment familiarity within a group is important, but it's entirely possible that what works well for you may not work so well for her.

If you find a carrier that works well for both of you, awesome. Just something to consider. Armor that isn't comfortable is armor that doesn't get worn. A blanket solution is not always the best solution.

The only thing I can say about those carriers is they're all good to go in respect to quality of construction and materials. Heads up though, the JPC 2.0 is in demand right now and people are struggling to source certain size/color combos. We just had a thread in here with a guy trying to hunt one down. Seems the production dates are way out too for getting more in stock.

Some advice I give people for picking gear: pick the simplest piece of gear possible that will do what you need it to do. You might like the idea of having loads of bells and whistles, only to find out you don't use half of it and it ends up being dead weight or getting in the way.

Another thing, have you sized yourself and your wife for plates?
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 2:59:23 AM EDT
[#2]
JPC all the way.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 3:20:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
JPC all the way.
View Quote
This.  The JPC is probably the best plate carrier out now.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 3:46:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Might as well cross the JPC 2.0 off your list unless you want to pay a premium or wait indefinitely for it to come back in stock.

By chance have you looked at the SKD/FirstSpear STT?

When I was selecting my plate carrier, my list was very similar to yours. I found the STT to be a better overall value.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Might as well cross the JPC 2.0 off your list unless you want to pay a premium or wait indefinitely for it to come back in stock.

By chance have you looked at the SKD/FirstSpear STT?

When I was selecting my plate carrier, my list was very similar to yours. I found the STT to be a better overall value.
View Quote
Depends on what size/color you want. OP Tactical has med and large Ranger Green available, as well as large Black. All for $242
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, when I find a good quality piece of kit if it's hard to get I'll just give up.  That's always the best thing to do

ETA:
OPtactical has two colors in stock
Amazon has multicam (at a rape me price)
Google turned up a few more that had some colors and sizes in stock
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, when I find a good quality piece of kit if it's hard to get I'll just give up.  That's always the best thing to do
View Quote
I misread the OP.  I thought he had a class coming up requiring a plate carrier.  I must be thinking of another JPC thread.  Regardless, banking on acquiring one from Crye or quite a few vendors when they themselves have no time frame on availability could leave one short.

When I last checked OPTactical, they were OOS across the board.  I myself am in need of a Medium in Black for work because multicam is against policy and apparently makes me stand out.  I thought it would make me blend in, it is multicam afterall.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I misread the OP.  I thought he had a class coming up requiring a plate carrier.  I must be thinking of another JPC thread.  Regardless, banking on acquiring one from Crye or quite a few vendors when they themselves have no time frame on availability could leave one short.

When I last checked OPTactical, they were OOS across the board.  I myself am in need of a Medium in Black for work because multicam is against policy and apparently makes me stand out.  I thought it would make me blend in, it is multicam afterall.
View Quote
My bad too

Black was one they had when I checked...OOS now. Dang.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe just get a chest rig?
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 8:40:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 12:54:57 AM EDT
[#12]
So I’ll try to address some of the questions…

My plan was to purchase one of those 3 plate carriers for me and then have my wife try it and make adjustments from there. If she likes it then we’ll order the correct size and if not then I’ll be back on here asking more questions. Once both plate carriers are ordered, received and we’re both happy then we’ll look into ordering the right size and cut plates. We haven’t been sized for plates yet. Looks like the JPC 2.0 is the carrier to get if it's available. What makes the JPC 2.0 more popular than the Pig PC and the Mayflower APC? I’m in no rush right now to order a carrier, but would like to have an idea of what to order. I’m not signing up for any classes right now until I get a plate carrier and it somewhat setup. My current loadout is a belt (can’t remember what brand) with x2 HSGI double decker tacos (rifle/pistol) and an admin pouch on the back. I had a Serpa holster, but didn’t like it so I took it off. Ordering a different one here soon. Besides the holster the only thing else I want to add to it is a small IFAK. I have my concealed carry license so I also CC. I have the typical bug out bags and a quick grab ammo bag. Down the road after the plate carriers are all setup for both of us, I would like to order a chest rig and set it up just to have.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So I’ll try to address some of the questions…

My plan was to purchase one of those 3 plate carriers for me and then have my wife try it and make adjustments from there. If she likes it then we’ll order the correct size and if not then I’ll be back on here asking more questions. Once both plate carriers are ordered, received and we’re both happy then we’ll look into ordering the right size and cut plates. We haven’t been sized for plates yet. Looks like the JPC 2.0 is the carrier to get if it's available. What makes the JPC 2.0 more popular than the Pig PC and the Mayflower APC? I’m in no rush right now to order a carrier, but would like to have an idea of what to order. I’m not signing up for any classes right now until I get a plate carrier and it somewhat setup. My current loadout is a belt (can’t remember what brand) with x2 HSGI double decker tacos (rifle/pistol) and an admin pouch on the back. I had a Serpa holster, but didn’t like it so I took it off. Ordering a different one here soon. Besides the holster the only thing else I want to add to it is a small IFAK. I have my concealed carry license so I also CC. I have the typical bug out bags and a quick grab ammo bag. Down the road after the plate carriers are all setup for both of us, I would like to order a chest rig and set it up just to have.
View Quote
Well I might catch flak for this but what makes it more poplar than the others?

It’s the current cool guys preferred PC. I’m nit saying it’s not a good PC but lots of guys don’t figure out exactly what they need. They just look to SEALS and DELTA and copy.   Which is why you still have guys that use/defend EOjunk despite their horrible durability record. Poor battery life compared to competitors. Et cetera.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So I'll try to address some of the questions

My plan was to purchase one of those 3 plate carriers for me and then have my wife try it and make adjustments from there. If she likes it then we'll order the correct size and if not then I'll be back on here asking more questions. Once both plate carriers are ordered, received and we're both happy then we'll look into ordering the right size and cut plates. We haven't been sized for plates yet. Looks like the JPC 2.0 is the carrier to get if it's available. What makes the JPC 2.0 more popular than the Pig PC and the Mayflower APC? I'm in no rush right now to order a carrier, but would like to have an idea of what to order. I'm not signing up for any classes right now until I get a plate carrier and it somewhat setup. My current loadout is a belt (can't remember what brand) with x2 HSGI double decker tacos (rifle/pistol) and an admin pouch on the back. I had a Serpa holster, but didn't like it so I took it off. Ordering a different one here soon. Besides the holster the only thing else I want to add to it is a small IFAK. I have my concealed carry license so I also CC. I have the typical bug out bags and a quick grab ammo bag. Down the road after the plate carriers are all setup for both of us, I would like to order a chest rig and set it up just to have.
View Quote
Do not do this. That's backwards. Carrier sizes are based on plate size, not body size. For example, a Small carrier will typically be sized for SAPI Small plates and will NOT fit anything else.

I'll pull up typical plate dimensions in a minute and tell you what I do to size plates.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 11:07:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok, plate dimensions:
  • SAPI Extra Small - 7 1/4 X 11 1/2
  • SAPI Small - 8 3/4 X 11 3/4
  • SAPI Medium - 9 1/2 X 12 1/2
  • SAPI Large - 10 1/8 X 13 1/4
  • SAPI Extra Large - 11 X 14
Other common sizes are 10x12 and 8x10, but there's no industry standard for those sizes so cut angles and exact size can vary. A lot of manufacturers cut or add 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch on one of the dimensions. For example, HighCom offers 10x12 plates but their actual size is 9.5 x 11.5.

As for how to size plates I draw an outline on a piece of cardboard according to the dimensions of the plate and make a cutout. You can then strap that cutout to your chest and/or back and test for coverage, movement restriction, etc. Good rule of thumb is you should be able to easily "punch out" your hands forward like when shooting a pistol. Also, sit down and make sure it won't ride up into your chin or neck. If it does that size is likely too long.

For dealing with the plate cut (shooters, swimmers, etc) I usually just give it my best guess as to the angle and depth of the cuts because there's no standard for 10x12 and 8x10 plates but there is for SAPI plates. I think @sawlaw1 has the dimensions needed to make proper cut angles for standard SAPI sizes.

To simulate thickness you can attach some foam or other such material of appropriate thickness to the cutout which will move it out from your body. Most manufacturers state plate thickness if you have some specific plates in mind but if you don't typical plate thicknesses range from 1/2 an inch to just over an inch thick.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 11:39:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm sure that's part of it. Especially considering the high price. Now that the price is set to drop by 30% you'll see more people buying them.

I picked the JPC 2.0 for a few reasons, most related to 2 things: modularity and durability.

Modularity: Ability to scale up:
several styles of back panels
several styles of Crye front placards (stretch, MOLLE, airlite, flap mags for AR15 or SR25, triple shingle)
Velcro front with no sewn-in front panel to make it easy to run slick
Easy to add hardware to take swift-clips panels and chest rigs from tons of companies
Easy to add or remove side-plate options
Cummerbund options from Crye and Ronin (skeletonized 3 or 2 band, airlite, elastic, single strap
Low-profile kangaroo pouch which is not noticeable empty, or can be used with tons of Velcro pocket accessories

A lot of the modularity revolves around being able to add options from other companies without significantly adding bulk. In it's stripped-down form its about as minimalist a carrier as exists without being so bare you can't scale up.

Quality:
Crye may or may not be "the best" in every way with no room for improvement. But it's a known quantity. There are plenty of good plate carriers made by smaller companies, but I'm for buying what I know works and I'll leave the testing to people who always need something different.

There's also a built in low-profile admin pouch and the QD mechanisms.
View Quote
Yeah I was in no way talking shit about it. It was on my list too before I bought my new PC. Just offering up my two cents.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I agree, get the plates first. Level III+, ceramic/composite construction, SAPI sized, multicurved. Like a HESCO 3610 or similar. Then get a JPC 1.0 or 2.0 depending on your need to change up your loadout.

A JPC has no structure without a plate. If you want real plate sizes and shapes to fit, buy a plastic toy "100% to scale" multicurved SAPI airsoft plate set. Your wife will be a small or medium and you will be a medium or large 95% of the time. Start with a medium.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top