Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2020 1:35:46 PM EDT
Sold as used, but looks never fired. With the 2 mags I paid $1150, good grab? Always wanted one!
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice price.

Pics not loading
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Ill get some up here asap, feds must be getting slammed for NICS checks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#3]
In for pics.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sold as used, but looks never fired. With the 2 mags I paid $1150, good grab? Always wanted one!
View Quote

Yep.  That's a really good price.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Still waiting to pick up...in the mean time...

Are there more desirable "older" SA58  variants? All I can recall off memory, is that this one had the not fold-out charging handle (a knob I guess?).

Upper was park, lower seemed to be shiny black aluminum? Bolt carrier has the sand cut in it.

Edit: Also could have sworn it was marked "IL" made on the receiver. Going to have to check as I do further research, but if its a "DS" prefix and marked "Grayslake, IL or Lake Barrington, IL" its an LMT made receiver?
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Still waiting to pick up, doing more research though, its serial is DSA25XXX, meaning it should be forged correct?
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:58:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still waiting to pick up, doing more research though, its serial is DSA25XXX, meaning it should be forged correct?
View Quote

That's a cast one
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:24:44 AM EDT
[#8]
IIRC, DSA-prefix is in-house production.  Some are forged, most are cast.  Issues being in-spec apply to both.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 7:07:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Boo, I should have done more research.

I read that DSA would confirm cast/forged, but also read they might not be honest about such things? Who knows, its the internet.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I read that DSA would confirm cast/forged, but also read they might not be honest about such things? Who knows, its the internet.
View Quote

I don't think it really matters much if it's forged or cast.  Whether it was made by DSA or LMT would seem to be a more important distinction.  But if it runs and everything fits like it should, then there shouldn't be a problem with it.  I've heard that the quality control hasn't been as bad on the most recent batches of receivers.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

The real deals were forge and later cast

Properly done it doesn't matter

I have always had luck with DSA, even their mags. They've even hooked me up with custom made springs on my RPD that I built and didnt buy from them

I think DSA gets some undeserved crap from the net sometimes but that's just my opinion
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The real deals were forge and later cast

Properly done it doesn't matter

I have always had luck with DSA, even their mags. They've even hooked me up with custom made springs on my RPD that I built and didnt buy from them

I think DSA gets some undeserved crap from the net sometimes but that's just my opinion
View Quote

I agree.  DSA has always treated me great.  They have hooked me up with parts that were not on their website, and
their customer service has always been great.  

People want to bash cast receivers, but when you bring up that FN did the same thing, they don't want to talk about it.  
The technology is probably better now that it was back when FN made theirs.  

Go figure.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Nice find! It's on my bucket list.
Pants are tight....
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks! I'm just not going to worry about cast vs. forged. It would be nice to have a desirable receiver, but functionally speaking, as others have said, no difference to the end user.

Thanks for all the great info!
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Some info on the transition from LMT and cast vs forged receivers.

https://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399887
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 6:40:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks!

Now, could someone clarify what i'm reading in the thread below? This R1shooter (who appears to have been a DSA employee), states that "DSA28388" was the last forged receiver to be made. My serial falls a few thousand below that.

https://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386904
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 6:54:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Edit, double post.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 7:38:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks! I'm just not going to worry about cast vs. forged. It would be nice to have a desirable receiver, but functionally speaking, as others have said, no difference to the end user.

Thanks for all the great info!
View Quote

This. Even FN changed their production to cast receivers. If I were you I'd shoot it and stop focusing on the forged vs cast issue.

If it still bothers you I'll buy it for $1,150 with the two mags. Serious offer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Haha, appreciate that!
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#21]
It all depends on how it was built. I have an Imbel para built by a respected gunsmith and the bolt won't go into battery if you use the cocking handle (which gets hung up in the charging handle slot) and while shooting it I had a nasty FTE that required me to pry the bolt carrier open.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#23]
On these folders. How hard is it to convert to a fixed stock? The standard FAL fixed stock?
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#24]
You will have to change out the lower and bolt carrier

As the non folder stocks the recoil systems is in the stock and the bolt carrier has a "rat tail" on it push on the recoil springs.

Where the folder version the recoil springs are above and built into the bolt carrier

I would swap out a full lower and bolt carrier, for the para lower, and para carrier if you are interested
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 11:00:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm having issues with my DSA Voyager right now in terms of getting it to accept surplus magazines. It seems as if they sit too low for the bolt to catch the casing. I'm still waiting for customer service to get back to me so I can hopefully send it out to be fixed.  Beyond that I've had no issues with my DSA and quite like it. If I had stuck with DSA magazines, I doubt I would have ever noticed the issue as they sit a little bit higher up.

Cast vs Forge doesn't seem to matter much as there isn't an epidemic of FAL cast receivers cracking. Honestly, forged receivers are becoming so hard to get a hold of that it would end up costing you half the build anyway.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
On these folders. How hard is it to convert to a fixed stock? The standard FAL fixed stock?
View Quote

Easy, just swap the lower. You can run a para recoil system in a full stock configuration. You're just going to be carrying around extra weight. If you want to do it 100% correct, you'll need a rat tail bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This. Even FN changed their production to cast receivers.
View Quote

Yes, but those were Type 3 receivers. Beefed up. OP's is a Type 1. OP, I'd bet yours is forged. Does DSA make Type 1/2 cast receivers?
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yep.  That's a really good price.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes, but those were Type 3 receivers. Beefed up. OP's is a Type 1. OP, I'd bet yours is forged. Does DSA make Type 1/2 cast receivers?
View Quote

Looks like it, per their website. Type 3s, too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Even FN changed their production to cast receivers.

Type 3s were forged.  Type 4 were the cast ones, made in the final years of production.  FN also near the very end also made a cast Type 4 lower.  A bunch of other parts were changed to castings along with the receivers, although IIRC, they had problems with the cast long flash suppressors banana-peeling (not an issue with the forged ones).

DSA makes Type 1 and 2 cast receivers.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Op you did good.in my opinion the para is the one to have,I wouldn't convert it to a fixed stock if I were you.
para conversion parts are a 400 to 600 dollar premium.
I've got both as well as a Izzy heavy barrel.The para with a red dot is my favorite.
Good score. DSA is good to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top