Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2020 11:25:12 PM EDT
OPTION NUMBER 7 IS A BROWNING T-BOLT SPORTER, JAPANESE MODERN MODEL, PURCHASED 2013, PLEASE REPLY TO VOTE FOR THE BROWNING

I'm going to be trying several .22's, most of which I've had for some time, one of which, the Savage Mark II TR was just purchased.

50 and 100 yard testing, about 7 different types of Ammo, 5 shot groups.  What does everyone think will be the winner of the top prize for smallest overall average group both ranges combined?

ALL RIFLES ARE OUT OF BOX STOCK, MIX OF TARGET AND SPORTER MODELS

Might be a while but I'll post results

Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:44:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I chose the 512 just because I loved shooting my dads 511 when I was younger.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

50 and 100 yard testing, about 7 different types of Ammo, 5 shot groups.  What does everyone think will be the winner?

View Quote

7 different types of ammo and 6 different rifles?..Why? Why not 1ammo and 6 rifles,, seems that would be a better accuracy test?
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:30:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

7 different types of ammo and 6 different rifles?..Why? Why not 1ammo and 6 rifles,, seems that would be a better accuracy test?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I’m going to try to get average group sizes as an aggregate but I should easily be able to pick a winning rifle from each type of ammo. I just figured that the rifle that did best across all of them should be the most inherently accurate

Quoted:
I chose the 512 just because I loved shooting my dads 511 when I was younger.

The 512 was a gift from a friend almost 30 years ago and my first ever rifle.  The emotional favorite for sure and I still think tubular magazines are the best type, rare as they are now.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 1:01:42 AM EDT
[#4]
The Kimber HS is a bolt gun and has a pillar block bedded action and free floated match barrel.  I voted for it.  Feed it match ammo.  It should shoot the tightest groups, provided the crown has not been damaged.

The Savage, also a bolt gun, has perhaps a better trigger.  Its supposed to be a target rifle and has a heavier barrel profile.  It might be more accurate, but I think the Kimber, despite its sporter profile barrel and stock, will beat it out.

I have a Remington 541 Custom Sporter, much like the Kimber.  It is easily sub MOA and approaching 1/2 MOA with Ely Tenex or Black Box Match.

The Zastava 5 might surprise me, but I think it would need action work and re-bedding to keep up.  It had potential, but I think it will need work.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#5]
My Savages (I've had 3) would all do MOA or better with the right ammo. "Right ammo" usually defined as "just about anything subsonic"
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Kimber HS is a bolt gun and has a pillar block bedded action and free floated match barrel.  I voted for it.  Feed it match ammo.  It should shoot the tightest groups, provided the crown has not been damaged.

The Savage, also a bolt gun, has perhaps a better trigger.  Its supposed to be a target rifle and has a heavier barrel profile.  It might be more accurate, but I think the Kimber, despite its sporter profile barrel and stock, will beat it out.

I have a Remington 541 Custom Sporter, much like the Kimber.  It is easily sub MOA and approaching 1/2 MOA with Ely Tenex or Black Box Match.

The Zastava 5 might surprise me, but I think it would need action work and re-bedding to keep up.  It had potential, but I think it will need work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Started out with the Zastava yesterday and the trigger must be 6 or 7 pounds with a midtravel through gravel, not going to help it's case.  It did print a not yet measured or recorded group with CCI SV that looks to be about 3/8" at 50 but it's only gone through 2 of the 8 or 9 different ammo's I've selected.  The Mark II TR trigger feels like about 2 pounds, going to be a huge advantage but I think the Kimber has a decent trigger and it's definitely in great shape, will be interesting.

This is just as much an ammo test as a rifle test, of course.  I've ordered some of the cheaper Wolf Match Target recently, will also be running CCI SV, Green Tag and Mini-Mag 40 and 36HP, Norma Tac-22, Winchester Super X 1300 fps cprn, Velocitor, Aguila Super Extra CPRN 40.  Nothing really high dollar but a few solid std velocity rounds.  There will be a few nice data points for both rifle and ammo that I'll make sure to post.

Quoted:
My Savages (I've had 3) would all do MOA or better with the right ammo. "Right ammo" usually defined as "just about anything subsonic"

Will be nice to see how the older Mark II sporter compares to the new Mark II TR and how these rifles compare to the group in general.  Some of the rifles have scopes above 9X  but I'm going to try to set them all around 9 or 10 for the test except for the Rem 512 which will have to make do with a Diamondback 2-7X35 Rimfire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top