Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/19/2018 10:37:00 PM EDT
So I was offered a silly deal on either of these cans and I am trying to decide which one to get. I thought I was set on the spectre being it’s rated for more calibers and I’ve shot it many times before from Ruger mark IV’s to M16s. It’s performed very well. I’ve been reading up on the element and it seems solid also. I do like the fact that the element is considerably lighter being titanium and SS. I will be using this primarily for .22lr.

My main requirements is that it’s easy to clean and also can accept the Gemtech fast attach 4 lug mount. I believe both cans can take that mount but am not 100% certain. Also it seems the element may get dirtier b/c of the non shielded baffle design so that was a concern. I know the spectre needs the included fixed barrel spacer for rifles but does the element also need that? What say you?
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Spectre II and it's a workhorse but my gut reaction is the Element II - maybe that's just a case of "you want what you don't have"
Idk
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I just found a Spectre II for $210 shipped recently, so I stopped there between my debate between these two. I've not shoot either yet. In for info.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:47:27 PM EDT
[#3]
That's really a tough one. Both are great cans - ease of cleaning goes to the Spectre II, but the pusher tool that comes with the Element II makes getting the baffles out a fairly trivial event if you do it on a regular basis. Both sound good but the Element II does it in a shorter package. I have 4 Spectre IIs and one Element II in hand with another in jail. But I'd be hard pressed to tell you which one to go for.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:48:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Element if mostly pistol, Spector for more rifle.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:50:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just found a Spectre II for $210 shipped recently, so I stopped there between my debate between these two. I've not shoot either yet. In for info.
View Quote
That’s a good price and I’d jump on it from a retail standpoint. Unfortunately I have been offered these cans for the same price and I don’t know which to pick. The element’s weight and slightly better frp may be the winner but I’d like more feedback on it. Keep it coming!
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:51:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I get that from a weight standpoint but any other reasoning behind that?
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have a SS tumbler, the spectre 2 is incredibly easy to clean.

AAC’s situation (parent company) worries me too much to touch.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's really a tough one. Both are great cans - ease of cleaning goes to the Spectre II, but the pusher tool that comes with the Element II makes getting the baffles out a fairly trivial event if you do it on a regular basis. Both sound good but the Element II does it in a shorter package. I have 4 Spectre IIs and one Element II in hand with another in jail. But I'd be hard pressed to tell you which one to go for.
View Quote
Damn that doesn’t help haha. But thanks for the input. I don’t likely cleaning things but with the tool you mentioned should make it less concerning like you said. I would like to go at least 1000 rounds before cleanings.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I get that from a weight standpoint but any other reasoning behind that?
View Quote
Mostly based on weight. Either way you’ll be happy.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:57:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have an ultrasonic cleaner at work so throwing the baffles in makes short work of it.

That’s a very good point you mentioned which I completely forgot in the OP. The future of AAC and really any suppressor company in general you could say. It just is a bit concerning with what’s going on at AAC currently whether I want to take that risk.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#11]
On second thought... it’s AR15.com. Why not both?
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 11:00:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have an ultrasonic cleaner at work so throwing the baffles in makes short work of it.

That’s a very good point you mentioned which I completely forgot in the OP. The future of AAC and really any suppressor company in general you could say. It just is a bit concerning with what’s going on at AAC currently whether I want to take that risk.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ultra works good, but it’s nothing like SS. I have both, and I only use the ultra for the end caps now. It will fade the caps though.

Truthfully a .22 more than likely will never need warranty support unless you do something really dumb.

Either one will serve you well.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 11:08:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ultra works good, but it’s nothing like SS. I have both, and I only use the ultra for the end caps now. It will fade the caps though.

Truthfully a .22 more than likely will never need warranty support unless you do something really dumb.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point on the SS.

I don’t plan on doing anything to the suppressor that should present an issue. If there ever was anything needing to be warrantied, it’s nice to know it’s there. Perhaps you are right though in regards to the caliber. I don’t imagine baffle strikes or some castraphic failure to happen so I suppose I shouldn’t weigh too heavily on warranties
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do tell...
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
On second thought... it’s AR15.com. Why not both?
View Quote
For the price I’m getting it for I should. I have other priorities however so for now this will have to do.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm a complete noob. I own only one can. But, I bought the Element II due to everything I read about first round pop, and how the Element II handled it better than most. I have no idea about the other one, so this may be of no help.

ETA: I second the recommendation of the SS wet tumbler for easy cleaning.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Damn that doesn't help haha. But thanks for the input. I don't likely cleaning things but with the tool you mentioned should make it less concerning like you said. I would like to go at least 1000 rounds before cleanings.
View Quote
Stainless pin tumbling is the way to go if you hate cleaning. All you need is a pound or two of stainless pins along with a small tumbler like a Thumler A-R1. Drop the baffles in with some detergent, walk away, come back in a few hours and rinse them off and dry them and you're done.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 11:22:13 PM EDT
[#18]
It was a deal through GunProDeals.com. I had never used them, but they actually had the can to my dealer within a week.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 2:07:01 AM EDT
[#19]
What hosts do you plan to use it on?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 2:10:14 AM EDT
[#20]
If you are a high volume shooter or foresee suppressing magnum rimfire or FN 5.7 get the Spectre.  If you shoot mostly pistol, low volume vs blasting, or need to recess the can into a handguard or SBX barrel get the Element 2.  I believe the Element mount is captive.  The Gemtech mount should thread into either's 1/2-28 mount.  I voted Spectre 2 because Silencerco customer support has been very good in the past and I haven't heard of it slipping yet.  If money weren't an object the AAC Halcyon is a very good design and worth the extra cost but both your choices are very good suppressors and those are some of the lowest prices I've seen.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I have both and really like both, but if I could only keep one it would be the element 2 without second thought.

It's not as easy to take apart and clean but the weight savings, shorter length, no FRP, and the mount stays secure all outweigh the easier cleaning of the spectre.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
and the mount stays secure
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe the Element mount is captive.
The captive rear endcap is touted as a feature of the E2, but I believe AAC just Red Loctite/Rocksetts the rear endcap in place. If that feature is important to the end user, there's no reason the same treatment couldn't be applied to the Spectre.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The captive rear endcap is touted as a feature of the E2, but I believe AAC just Red Loctite/Rocksetts the rear endcap in place. If that feature is important to the end user, there's no reason the same treatment couldn't be applied to the Spectre.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe the Element mount is captive.
For cleaning the element, the tool makes removing the baffles easy I imagine even with 1000+ round count, correct?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have both and really like both, but if I could only keep one it would be the element 2 without second thought.

It's not as easy to take apart and clean but the weight savings, shorter length, no FRP, and the mount stays secure all outweigh the easier cleaning of the spectre.
View Quote
Exactly the same for me.

For maximum accuracy in precision rifles, the only other Rimfire can I wouldn't want to give up is the Thunderbeast 22 Takedown.

But, with all the other newer choices out there, I recently ordered another... Element 2.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

For cleaning the element, the tool makes removing the baffles easy I imagine even with 1000+ round count, correct?
View Quote
I've never gone that long on mine so I'll defer to someone who has.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I will never get a rimfire can without encapsulated baffles again, too much of a pain, so Spectre II for me.  Have a Dead Air Mask too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  I own both as well as other 22lr cans.  Honestly the only place the Spectre wins is cleaning due to the shielded baffles.  Element wins every other category.  Quieter, lighter, and shorter.  I've been tempted by AAC's Halcion but I need another 22lr can like I need a hole in my head.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Spectre
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Tough call. The Spectre is a bit more rugged, but the Element is shorter and lighter. I have both pending, but I think the Element is the better choice, personally.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
You would be correct.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You would be correct.
View Quote
Thanks for confirming!

Looks  to be almost a 50/50 horse race. So much for making a definitive choice for OP.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thanks for confirming!

Looks  to be almost a 50/50 horse race. So much for making a definitive choice for OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would be correct.
Thanks for confirming!

Haha yes. Whatever the vote is at a week from yesterday I’ll get.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
The correct answer is to get both, of course!
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha yes. Whatever the vote is at a week from yesterday I'll get.
Now you have no choice, I just evened up the poll results.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask me how I know...

Love my Spectre IIk...SiCo took really good care of me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:18:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ask me how I know...

View Quote
Come on, let's hear the story!
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:18:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, of course but the deal I’m getting applies to one. I rather get a rifle can down the road before another rim fire.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ask me how I know...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AAC's situation (parent company) worries me too much to touch.

That's a very good point you mentioned which I completely forgot in the OP. The future of AAC and really any suppressor company in general you could say. It just is a bit concerning with what's going on at AAC currently whether I want to take that risk.
Ultra works good, but it's nothing like SS. I have both, and I only use the ultra for the end caps now. It will fade the caps though.

Ask me how I know...

To his point, you weren't the one that did something really dumb.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#40]
OP, sounds like you can just flip a coin at this rate.  Tails for the Element. Heads for the Specter. Call it a day.  I think either will do you nicely. Good luck in your decision.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:09:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OP, sounds like you can just flip a coin at this rate.  Tails for the Element. Heads for the Specter. Call it a day.  I think either will do you nicely. Good luck in your decision.
View Quote
Thanks. That’s basically what it comes down to. That’s why I just will let the ARFCOM poll decide at the end of the week.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thanks. That’s basically what it comes down to. That’s why I just will let the ARFCOM poll decide at the end of the week.
View Quote
Unless it's split 50/50, then you'll just have to get both
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#43]
I have an Oculus and an Element 2.  The Oculus is nice, but I like the Element 2 better.  It's smaller, lighter and sounds just as good to me.  The harder to clean thing is overblown imo.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:35:49 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a Spectre 2, Sparrow, and Oculus. If I could only choose one, it would be the Oculus. Well built, durable, modular, sounds good, and it looks sexy.

Out of your choices, Spectre 2. It is a beast of a can.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 4:50:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask me how I know...

I’ll have to see if i still have the pics. @goloud did a story on my issue. Long story short...my friend shot my can and SiCo had to cut the tube down about an inch. It resulted in having to lose a baffle and know technically it’s a Kerz version . They mean it when they say they warranty stupid once.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:50:45 AM EDT
[#46]
After much consideration, I think that if I had to get one now, it'd be an Element 2.

Shorter and lighter are becoming major attributes to me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
After much consideration, I think that if I had to get one now, it'd be an Element 2.

Shorter and lighter are becoming major attributes to me.
View Quote
Yeah. This is really a tough one. Either way I’ll be happy. If there is a tie I guess I’ll have to count the comments
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I’ll have to see if i still have the pics. @goloud did a story on my issue. Long story short...my friend shot my can and SiCo had to cut the tube down about an inch. It resulted in having to lose a baffle and know technically it’s a Kerz version . They mean it when they say they warranty stupid once.
View Quote
"Shot your can" as in actually put a bullet through the side of your suppressor with another firearm?!?

Now that's a story!
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
"Shot your can" as in actually put a bullet through the side of your suppressor with another firearm?!?

Now that's a story!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that's a story!
Yeah, I’d like to know how that happened too?!
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
I remember that one, hopefully you’re not friends still.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top