Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2024 1:33:42 PM EDT
Does anybody have these? Currently like 6800 from nocturnality/nvdevices. I think these are basically the same thing that several companies were offering for around 6kish a couple years back (correct me if I'm wrong please). What's the consensus on 6-7k photonis duals? Worth buying? Seems like they are the best value currently.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 2 photonis pvs-14's one just below 2k fom and one just above.
At a nightvision class I took a few weeks ago everyone else had l3 and elbit systems.
At one stage while in a dark barn with almost no  ambient light all but one guy said they would need supplemental ir to identify things in the dark corners and under things. That guy had high end high fom l3 duals that were north of 10.
I find the edge to edge clarity of the photonis tubes to be second to none.
I keep my gain in the lower one third of its adjustability and can shoot and move just fine under no moon conditions.
I like them and feel like you wouldn't be disappointed, especially if that extra 3 to 4 grand is of consequence to you.
I'm sure someone will be along to tell me why I'm wrong, but I'm happy.
Also, with both pvs-14's and a panobridge I'm at $4600 all in.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
Great product, sold a ton of them.
View Quote

Yes you were the supplier I was thinking about that largely sold these at the time. I figured they were probably similar or the same. Any idea if you are going to be moving them again in the future?
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:06:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Love my set from JRH. Did burpees in them the other night. Quality product.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:48:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bbridson] [#5]
I picked up a pair during NV Devices' fall sale. I really like them, but I know some people don't like the lightweight diopters. Make sure you get them ported for the battery pack in case you want one later. I think they're still the best priced goggles if manual gain and articulation are a must. I personally use the manual gain all the time and wouldn't consider anything without it. If you want videos or pictures just send me a message.

I bought during the holidays and wanted to have a little more cash on hand for gifts. I asked if they could split the charges so I could pay half off now and use an Amex plan-it for the second half. They did me one better and charged half up front and half before shipping. I also paid for like 2,300 FOM min and got something like 2,750 with 38-ish SNR. They're great people and I have nothing but nice things to say about them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By bbridson:
I picked up a pair during NV Devices' fall sale. I really like them, but I know some people don't like the lightweight diopters. Make sure you get them ported for the battery pack in case you want one later. I think they're still the best priced goggles if manual gain and articulation are a must. I personally use the manual gain all the time and wouldn't consider anything without it. If you want videos or pictures just send me a message.

I bought during the holidays and wanted to have a little more cash on hand for gifts. I asked if they could split the charges so I could pay half off now and use an Amex plan-it for the second half. They did me one better and charged half up front and half before shipping. I also paid for like 2,300 FOM min and got something like 2,750 with 38-ish SNR. They're great people and I have nothing but nice things to say about them.
View Quote

If you have some pics or vids to put up that would be cool. I'm sure there are other people looking into these right now. What's wrong with the diopters?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 2:22:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bbridson] [#8]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:

If you have some pics or vids to put up that would be cool. I'm sure there are other people looking into these right now. What's wrong with the diopters?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:

I have no issues with them, but the main complaint that I've heard is that they can get loose over time. I would probably just RTV it in place if you don't have to worry about forgetting glasses. These are the only pictures I have on me right now, but they show the diopters well enough.

Click To View Spoiler

Probably an Elbit SLH (3rd gen) then, rare to see a Photonis Echo over 2200 FOM.

Sorry, I should have specified that I got a pair with L3 tubes. It was a very similar price to what the photonis tubes are right now. I figured I could at least share my experience with the housing and the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:53:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got BNVD-SG with WP SLH and the new diopters as pictured. There is "lash" in the adjustment system, but it doesn't bother me one bit, and doesn't go out of adjustment. I tend to focus everything each time anyway, instead of just looking at the number and calling it good.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah same here (Elbit SLH BNVD's from JRH).  I also use 100 Concept's lens covers on the back, which have a ring to anchor the bungees used to hold covers on.  If you mount this anchor ring up against the adjustment rings, it provides enough extra drag to keep them from moving easily.  I like this set up because they are super low profile, and the bungee is field adjustable/repairable.  The lash is a non-issue.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Thoughts on photonis vs elbit tubes? I thought these budget ones only came in photonis tubes but maybe not? I will say my eyes enjoy the elbit pvs14 I have now. I'm really pleased with it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#13]

The Photonis tubes will run close to lower FOM Elbit tubes in general.

There is a long running thread in our Industry forum with some comparison pics, etc.
View Quote

When they were available the performance of the Photonsis tubes was great especially for the money. The WP color didn't jive with my peepers, but others seem to like them just fine.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Diz:
Yeah same here (Elbit SLH BNVD's from JRH).  I also use 100 Concept's lens covers on the back, which have a ring to anchor the bungees used to hold covers on.  If you mount this anchor ring up against the adjustment rings, it provides enough extra drag to keep them from moving easily.  I like this set up because they are super low profile, and the bungee is field adjustable/repairable.  The lash is a non-issue.
View Quote

Pics?

I'd like to see how you have these set up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top