Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2019 8:23:51 AM EDT
Looking for some help:

I’m moving from a state to another state permanently with some SBRs & suppressors.  When I did this a few years ago, I listed all NFA items & was told by ATF I didn’t have to report cans.

I requested Form 5230.20 & was planning on just reporting the SBRs, but ATF’s website said there was a rule change, but in looking through their website, I cannot find their “change.”

Do I need to report suppressors?  The SBRs are a given.

I also saw ATF was changing addresses to someplace in Oregon vs West Virginia, but the 5230.20s say return to WV....

Help!
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 8:31:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 8:43:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry—dumbass move by me—it’s on Gun Trust lawyer blog, not ATF, which was why I couldn’t find it on ATF’s site:

-“ATF has recently updated their forms and now requires notification when you move within a state for any NFA Firearm.  This can be done using the 5320.20 form which is described on this page.  While the document states that it is not necessary when moving across state lines for a suppressor, it is now required by the instructions on the Form 4.  Regardless of how you feel, we would recommend that you complete a Form 20 for any move even if across the street.

The ATF requires prior authorization after a written request to transport any destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun under Section 922(a)(4), The ATF does not require this prior authorization for a suppressor.  While the prior authorization from the ATF is not required, we do still recommend obtaining an approved Form 20 from the ATF for Suppressors before crossing state lines. We feel that it is better to have a document from the federal government stating it is legal to be in possession of the item in another state than is listed on your Form 4 or Form 1 which was used to acquire the item.”

My mistake—thank you.  More coffee.....
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#3]
The form 4 says notification is required for a permananent address change and doesn't specify for what.

I don't think there is anything in law that says noticiation is required, at least for silencers.
Top Top