Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2023 7:33:04 AM EDT
It seems to m that the Burris RT-3 compact 3x prism sight with illuminated reticle would be a near perfect match for a handy .30-30 brush gun. Has anyone tried one of these on a lever action?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I handled the primary arms version last weekend my brother offered it or the pa 1-6  to put on the new 44.  

Depends on your use but I'v just never loved fixed power optics especially when i need to identify things 3 x just doesn't do it for my eyes.

I took the 1-6 since i have the 1-8 on my 444 i know how much i like those lpv on a levergun.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#2]
The eye relief is way, WAY too short to even consider putting it on a levergun.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zardoz:
View Quote

Even if mounted all the way to the rear of the receiver?
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Appears to me the built in mount is going to make it somewhat tall .

I tend to go with Lyman micrometer peep sights.

On my 1895 45/70 I have a old school Lyman All American fixed 4X . This scope has a fine cross hair and a heavy "post"
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

@SevenShooter (I think) has a different prism optic on his levergun. I want to get another Leupold 2.5x20 for my Henry .44, really like the one I have on an AR and Ashley Performance makes a slick mount for it. ~5" of eye relief on that.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#6]
The perfect optics for lever action rifles and carbines have been around for over a century.

The Lyman 1A is one of the best sights for a lever gun ever made.

The small aperture can be used when maximum precision is needed and in bright light conditions.

In low light, and or at close ranges, and or on moving targets the small aperture can be folded down and the large aperture used.

Its light weight, durable, capable of fine accuracy, adds almost no weight and does not impair the handling of the rifle or carbine.  In fact you can snap shoot with a both eyes open with a tang sight with a large aperture.

—-

Receiver sights like the Lyman 66A on this 20”  Model 64 rifle are also very close to ideal.  Both fixed apertures of different sizes can be used in different light conditions or hunting conditions, or an adjustable aperture can be used.

Link Posted: 11/6/2023 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DakotaFAL:
The perfect optics for lever action rifles and carbines have been around for over a century.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/h470/SDBB57/001(18).HEIC?width=590&height=590&fit=bounds

The small aperture can be used when maximum precision is needed and in bright light conditions.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/h470/SDBB57/001(17).HEIC?width=590&height=590&fit=bounds

In low light, and or at close ranges, and or on moving targets the small aperture can be folded down and the large aperture used.

[url]https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/h470/SDBB57/001(23).HEIC?width=590&height=590&fit=bounds[/url

Its light weight, durable, capable of fine accuracy, adds almost no weight and does not impair the handling of the rifle or carbine.  In fact you can snap shoot with a both eyes open with a tang sight with a large aperture.

—-

Receiver sights like the Lyman 66A on this 20”  Model 64 rifle are also very close to ideal.  Both fixed apertures of different sizes can be used in different light conditions or hunting conditions, or an adjustable aperture can be used.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/h470/SDBB57/EE78BD1E-DFE4-4ADB-B782-A71D6787874B.jpeg?width=590&height=590&fit=bounds
View Quote

I can agree 100% with this post, but(?!), people with aging or less capable eyes have a need to prolong the usability of their guns. That means an optic. A fixed 3X I can still make close range shots with (and have) but a 1-6 on 1X, I can make them a bit faster. A red dot even faster/easier. The change isn't drastic but it's there.

So "ideal" changes drastically as we age. I'm not giving up on my "traditional" type firearms because my vision has deteriorated I'm gonna shoot them as fast and efficiently as possible until they cremate my bones and if that means an optic that offends traditionalists then so be it, I need to make solid hits.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#8]

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/h470/SDBB57/001(18).HEIC?width=590&height=590&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/h470/SDBB57/001(17).HEIC?width=590&height=590&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/h470/SDBB57/001(23).HEIC?width=590&height=590&fit=bounds

—-

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/h470/SDBB57/EE78BD1E-DFE4-4ADB-B782-A71D6787874B.jpeg?width=590&height=590&fit=bounds
View Quote

I plan to add a receiver mounted peep sight to my old Winchester 94 but I can’t deal with tang sights.

I still think a compact 3x prism would be ideal on a modern lever gun.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By triburst1:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By triburst1:

Yep.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Almost every optic mount for lever actions puts the optic too high and most scope mounts put the scope too far aft.  Two popular exceptions are the Ashley performance Leupold scope mount and the midway red dot mount.  There’s also a few mounts for pistol red dots that aren’t too high.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I use a XS lever rail scope mount on a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. I have a Leupold  2.5 power LER scout scope mounted on it. Works great on deer at the range I normally take shots at game.
Gary
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By brachiosaur:

@SevenShooter (I think) has a different prism optic on his levergun. I want to get another Leupold 2.5x20 for my Henry .44, really like the one I have on an AR and Ashley Performance makes a slick mount for it. ~5" of eye relief on that.
View Quote

The 2.5x20 Leupold was going to be my suggestion as well. The high mount and short eye relief of the Burris prism will not pair well with a lever actions stock.  The only thing the Leupold gives up to the Burris is the actual length of the scope.  BUT that length brings the benefit of optics giving you 5 inches of eye relief and a low mount so you can get a proper cheek weld.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JTMcC:

I can agree 100% with this post, but(?!), people with aging or less capable eyes have a need to prolong the usability of their guns. That means an optic. A fixed 3X I can still make close range shots with (and have) but a 1-6 on 1X, I can make them a bit faster. A red dot even faster/easier. The change isn't drastic but it's there.

So "ideal" changes drastically as we age. I'm not giving up on my "traditional" type firearms because my vision has deteriorated I'm gonna shoot them as fast and efficiently as possible until they cremate my bones and if that means an optic that offends traditionalists then so be it, I need to make solid hits.
View Quote

I’ll be 59 next month and blew right through bifocals into progressive readers several years ago.

I still have no issues with tang sights or receiver sights.  They eliminate the need to focus on a barrel mounted rear sight.  The small aperture also works just like it does on a camera and increases the depth of field of your eye, keeping a much greater range of things in focus.  That helps even age accommodation / near focus issue eyes focus sharply on the front sight.

Consequently, unless a shooter’s distance vision is bad enough that they cannot see the target, a scope still isn’t needed.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#14]

I’ll be 59 next month and blew right through bifocals into progressive readers several years ago.

I still have no issues with tang sights or receiver sights.  They eliminate the need to focus on a barrel mounted rear sight.  The small aperture also works just like it does on a camera and increases the depth of field of your eye, keeping a much greater range of things in focus.  That helps even age accommodation / near focus issue eyes focus sharply on the front sight.

Consequently, unless a shooter’s distance vision is bad enough that they cannot see the target, a scope still isn’t needed.
View All Quotes

You've reached a universal conclusion based on one person's (yours) personal experience. There are people who shoot well past the age of 58 and there are people with various eye conditions/diseases that still shoot. My Dad was one of them.
So I'm happy for you and hope you can shoot tang sights for many more years but optics are a great aid for a lot of people.

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:30:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DakotaFAL] [#15]

You've reached a universal conclusion based on one person's (yours) personal experience. There are people who shoot well past the age of 58 and there are people with various eye conditions/diseases that still shoot. My Dad was one of them.
So I'm happy for you and hope you can shoot tang sights for many more years but optics are a great aid for a lot of people.

View Quote

My point here is that there is often no need to jump all the way from a partridge or semi buckhorn style sights to a scope.  A tang or receiver sight allows continued use of iron sights by many aging shooters, without having to accept the increase bulk and and decreased balance and handling issues that come with a scope.

I’m just making sure shooters have that information in order to make a better informed decision.

Thanks for giving me the credit for the discovery, but that’s not the case, tang sights ans receiver sights were around for at least 100 years before I was and old timers in the latter part of the 1800s understood their virtues.   It’s also not just my experience but the experience of many shooters over the last century (as well as a solid basis in physics).

As noted above, if you can still see the target clearly and can bring the front sight into focus with a tang sight, a scope isn’t yet needed.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:44:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc_Zox] [#16]

kills deers dead

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Look into the primary arms glx 2 power.  Little lower magnification but it has 3.5 inches of eye relief which is normally the issue with prism optics poor eye relief
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#18]
This mount will allow a perfect cheekweld with the stock on a lever action.

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:58:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#19]
Cabela's brand 4x BDC scope calibrated to either 44 magnum or 30-30. (Depending on rifle)  I have three of them. IIRC they were made by Burris and were under $300 at the time.  Great light gathering, no lens distortion.  If they made one the the .357 I would have bought one.

I've fiddled around with several  red dots and prism scopes, both magnified and not.   I have yet to find one I'm happy with on a lever gun.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the 1x4 Leupold pig plex. The light transmission is what helps me at dawn and dusk. I can still shoot my Savage 99 with peep sites well but not as well in low light.

They don’t add a lot of weight and on low power they transmit a lot of light.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#21]

My point here is that there is often no need to jump all the way from a partridge or semi buckhorn style sights to a scope.  A tang or receiver sight allows continued use of iron sights by many aging shooters, without having to accept the increase bulk and and decreased balance and handling issues that come with a scope.

I’m just making sure shooters have that information in order to make a better informed decision.

Thanks for giving me the credit for the discovery, but that’s not the case, tang sights ans receiver sights were around for at least 100 years before I was and old timers in the latter part of the 1800s understood their virtues.   It’s also not just my experience but the experience of many shooters over the last century (as well as a solid basis in physics).

As noted above, if you can still see the target clearly and can bring the front sight into focus with a tang sight, a scope isn’t yet needed.

YMMV.
View All Quotes

YMMV.

I didn't "give you credit" for this discovery, my great grandad was using tang mounted sights long before I was born.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 9:52:05 AM EDT
[#22]

I prefer receiver sights. I have run 1.5-5 Leupolds with success. Factory stocks on a lever with a scope is not going to allow for optimum cheek position. Red dots and the like with the adapter and all the other jazz compound the problem.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 11:02:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RichardJBizz] [#23]
I have Japanese Weaver 1-3x, 2.5-7x, and a 2.5x scopes fixed on my batch of Winchester 9422s, but they are side eject so receiver mounting is fine for a standard scope.  

I have a couple of standard top eject Winchester 94 and 92 Clones.  I prefer them with Red Dot sights up near where the traditional rear sight would be.  I kept my Winchester 1873 357/38 (Miroku) traditional with a Marbles rear Tang sight in addition to a Marbles folding rear dovetail sight.  

At distance it is no contest, the RDS / optics are far more accurate for me - probable because (in part) it is easier to get a tight zero with optics and RDS compared to a mechanical rear / tang sight setup.  I sure with more time on the mechanical sights I could get better zeros at distance, but I believe RDS / optics to be generally superior when setup correctly (ie chickweed, etc).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top