Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2018 1:33:40 PM EDT
I like to shoot .44 magnum subs through my TiRANT 45.  I used to have a marlin 1894 for the job but now I have a CVA single shot cut down to 16".  It is quieter than a nail gun.

I prefer using Magnum cases as with .44 special cases I can't push them to 1000fps.  My Speer manual had I want to say a starting load of 6.0 gr and max of 6.5 for 231 with 240gr LSWC.  Then for 240gr JSP it was 7.5 up to I think 9.5 but had it also said you could use this data for 240gr lswc if the max charge was reduced by 1 gr.

Anyways after much testing using X-treme plated 240gr FPRN I found that 7.2 gr 231 at 1.575" OAL would yield 1050fps consistently.  It is very clean, very quiet, and accurate.

I had previously used Trailboss but it produced more smoke and less consistent velocity.

Just wanted to share
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:11:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Something like Clays if you want clean burn (since it a bulky powder in the first place), or something like bullseye or promo (uses red dot loading data) if you don't mind a dirtier burning load. Hence your looking for a fast burning, bulky powder that will give you a decent case fill.

For Clays, click the below link  and select  44 mag and Clays powders only (leave the center selections alone).
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Bullseye,
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?page=/reloaders/powderlist.aspx&type=1&powderid=1&cartridge=33/

Promo (uses red dot loading data by weight).
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=1&powderid=4&cartridge=33

As for spherical powders, veer way from them for your 44 mag subsonic load, since they are a too dense of a powder (opposite of a bulky powder that take up more room in the case for the same amount of weights) and even with a fast burning power like 231/Hp38, you not going to have enough case fill for times that you may be aiming downward, with all the spherical powder against the bullet/away from the primer flash channel instead.

And trust me, out of a marlin 1894 with a 270gr bullet with about 4gr of Clays, is hilarious at 100 yards, since you can hear the round going down range all the way if you have side berms on the shooting lane.  Hence tried this out for a light load in 44 mag for my 270gr cast bullet, but could not bring myself to keep shooting such a slow bullet taking that long to find the target, and stepped up to universal Clays as my med load isntead.
View Quote
There were several other loads that said DO NOT REDUCE in my Speer manual but 231 fills it enough at 6 gr to be plenty safe.  It made no mention of DO NOT REDUCE with 231 until you got to lighter bullets that take up less of the case volume.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been experimenting with subsonic for my 5.5" Redhawk. I've developed a few loads but haven't tested yet. I'm not going specifically for cheap though so I'm using 300 gr Nosler RNHP.

I have been using x-treme plated in .357 loads. Using 5.5 gr of Titegroup and 158 gr SWC I get less than 1000 fps out of a 6.5" blackhawk. They were too tame though and not much fun so I upped to 5.8 gr. Haven't chronoed  those yet.

I know you aren't looking for options, but I'd also check out Titegroup. I'm using it for my 44 mag subsonic tests as well and from what I've read it's not position sensitive.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe theoretically 231/hp38 isnt the very most ideal.  I can tell you though that 7.2 gr was VERY consistent with hardly any smoke upon removing the brass from my single shot.

Im not gonna lie though.  There was another motivator for me trying it.  I stocked up after sandy hook when powder valley had stock.  So i have a crapload of the stuff.  It works so well i have no desire to try anything else..
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hence the reason for wanting a full pressure load as the speed you want to run.

With a full pressure load, not only does the case seal well off to the chamber walls to prevent soot'd cases, but the cleanest of possible burns as well.
View Quote
I literally took the different test loaded cases i had fired and reloaded them again.  Didnt tumble them clean, wipe them down, or anything.  There was literally zero soot on the cases.  Inside they didnt look as bright and shiny as the brass cleaned with stainless pins but good enough to go.  Just resized, primed, etc.

We can go back and forth all day but im telling you what i experienced first hand.  That was a very clean burning consistent quiet load with cases coming out with the exterior spotless.  With trailboss there was alot more soot.

I am wishing i didnt clear the different strings on my chronograph now to tell you what the sd was.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#9]
6.5 win231 / 240gr SWC has been my favorite 44 mag bunny fart load for many years.

very accurate
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Are these loads in danger of double charging?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#11]
My light 44mag load is 240gr RN over 9.0gr of Bullseye.

I will say that Tightgroup is not position sensitive, unlike many other powders, and yields good results.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes you could double charge if you get careless for a moment.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you're worried about double charging a case, you need to change your technique or pay more attention.

It's folly to only look for powders based on how much they fill the case.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If you're worried about double charging a case, you need to change your technique or pay more attention.

It's folly to only look for powders based on how much they fill the case.
View Quote
Thanks mom :)
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top