Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2022 5:25:12 PM EDT
Looking to pick up a dot for an 11.5, and looking hard at the PA Microprism (due to astigmatism).
I want to try my hand as passive aiming with nods, and noticed it's available in green or red.

Anyone used both a green and a red dot for passive aiming? Curious if one is better than the other. In my head, red would be dimmer, and better for NV because of less bloom. That may not be the case though, so I thought I'd ask for anyone with experience with both.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a green acog and it looks the same as my pa3x micro, eotech etc. If it gets bright enough but not too bright color shouldn't matter.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Right on. Do you prefer one color over the other at all? Day or night?
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Right on. Do you prefer one color over the other at all? Day or night?
View Quote

They look the same at night. During the day my acog and accupoint are a very unnatural nuclear green which pops very well even in the lush environment here so I'm happy with it. All my other optics are red and I'm fine with that too. Reds probably the safe choice for most people. If you're interested in the green PA there's a thread on the 1x micro prism in the optics forum which should have some insight. My PA micro is a red 3x and the illumination is well executed.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#4]
USA legal lasers are limited to 5 Milliwatts for visible and 0.7mw for IR lasers. for night vision the IR laser is what matters. night vision is sensitive enough that 0.7 is good enough for passive aiming. 5Mw is NOT enough for day light visible usage outside. all things being equal green is easier to see with the naked eye and usually cost more. since most users only use the visible laser to sight in their IR lasers it doesn't matter that much. both work fine for night use without NVG.

ETA I am an idiot and didnt read the OP correctly. I saw NVG and assumed we were talking about lasers.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 2:51:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine reds and greens all look the same to me under nods
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Prefer everything in Green.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m color blind and green has always stood out much more to me. Red us definitely useable but prefer green

But if you’re talking passive with NODs because this is the NV forum then color doesn’t matter with NV.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Not gonna matter under nods so pick what you like for day shooting
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m color blind and green has always stood out much more to me. Red us definitely useable but prefer green

But if you’re talking passive with NODs because this is the NV forum then color doesn’t matter with NV.
View Quote

I’ve got a Holosun 503 with the gold reticle that’s suppose to be for color blind folks abs I really like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top