Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2024 2:04:34 PM EDT
Anyone ever paint their AUG stock?

What did you use and how did it hold up?

I am thinking of painting my spare stock in a MARPAT digital desert digital pattern.
Have a couple of cans of Rustoleum camo colors, and have ordered some digital stencils (so I don’t have to make myself crazy taping the pattern).

Experience? Advice?
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:27:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jkirkon] [#1]
No advice? Well hell, I’ll just jump in and have a go at it.
Worst case I make it ugly.

Lightly sanded the stock with 220 grit, and wiped it all down with denatured alcohol. Masked off the areas I didn’t want to paint (trigger, safety, mag catch) with painters tape.

Base coat of desert beige laid down. I’ll let it dry for a few days before laying out the paint masks.

This is how it looks next to a Mud stock.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 4:19:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jkirkon:
No advice? Well hell, I’ll just jump in and have a go at it.
Worst case I make it ugly.

Lightly sanded the stock with 220 grit, and wiped it all down with denatured alcohol. Masked off the areas I didn’t want to paint (trigger, safety, mag catch) with painters tape.

Base coat of desert beige laid down. I’ll let it dry for a few days before laying out the paint masks.

This is how it looks next to a Mud stock.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/284805/IMG_8922_jpeg-3117454.JPG
View Quote

I've had a stock cerakoted and then water transfer graphics were transferred. The only advise I would give is to not coat the trigger. The cerakote gave it some "drag" that wasn't present earlier.

There was a guy that posted a lot in here about 10 years ago who had a couple AUGs that he spraypainted time and time again. I don't recall his name but he was from the Cody, Wyoming area. If anyone knows him, send him a message...
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jkirkon:
View Quote

Any update?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:18:27 PM EDT
[#4]
No, got called away on a business trip for a few weeks, so I haven’t touched it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:49:30 AM EDT
[#5]
The prep is the most important part.
I like to paint the lightest color first.
With rattle can, be very gentle removing the stickers, adhesion is not the best with that paint.

The barrel gets extremely hot so heat resistant paint only

https://imgur.com/gallery/VIFI6Sp
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:05:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry I’m late but DuraCoat is much better than paint. Tougher, not as smelly and goes on much thinner. I expect paint will goop up the safety and trigger. D.C. doesn’t and if you wanna get fancy they make a slick version and a high heat coating that’s done great on my barrel and can.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top