Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2018 10:58:10 AM EDT
Is that normal? I was shooting my SR25 ECC with 762QDC in a blacked out indoor range and my PVS30 (one of the refurbished units Knight’s released last year) tube got streaked from a small ember of unburnt powder exiting the barrel. Should that happen? I’m kind of afraid of using it more for fear of it streaking again.

Update: here’s a pic of the streak

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any idea what tube they use in the refurbished units, but at least older ITT tubes do streaking with brighter lights and at least my Pinnacle tubes have gotten no damage from said thing. Happens most when the unit is first powered on (about 5min and it needs a brighter source to happen).

Here's some footage, unknown year unknown tube, but I guess if it can take that (almost) every day then I would be guessing it is ok. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so1f2W1gEGA
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Micro channel plate oversaturation, its not a big deal it'll fade after a little while. Keep shooting and have fun.
View Quote
This happened months ago and it hasn’t faded much if any at all yet, though I’ve probably used it less than 10 hours since.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This happened months ago and it hasn’t faded much if any at all yet, though I’ve probably used it less than 10 hours since.
View Quote
Sock drawer trick?
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sock drawer trick?
View Quote
Tried it. Is my PVS30 possibly defective to have streaked so easily?
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 11:54:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can you take a pic of the current issue?
View Quote
Pic added to my original post.

@tnvc
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 12:35:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I’m no expert but I’m guessing that it’s actually some debrit in there that got jarred loose under recoil.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 12:48:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I’m no expert but I’m guessing that it’s actually some debrit in there that got jarred loose under recoil.
View Quote
I concur.  Even though it is hard to tell on a thru-tube pic, that looks an awful lot like something I had in my first PVS-14 many years ago that turned out to be crud in the housing.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Negative. Read my OP. Almost certain I actually saw the ember that streaked it. I checked and cleaned both lenses.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 2:02:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Negative. Read my OP. Almost certain I actually saw the ember that streaked it. I checked and cleaned both lenses.
View Quote
My vote is it’s not on an outside lens but inside. If you’re sure you saw it burn maybe. I’m still theorizing it’s in the housing. Hopefully you get it fixed either way.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My vote is it’s not on an outside lens but inside. If you’re sure you saw it burn maybe. I’m still theorizing it’s in the housing. Hopefully you get it fixed either way.
View Quote
Bingo. I’m with you. Sucks OP, hope you get it fixed. Those are nice units.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#13]
one end of the streak does look out of focus , like it is a hair type thing that is lifted off the screen a little and goes out of focus , would have thought if it streaks the tube as easy as that it would have marks all over it from even a little use. output screens seem magnets for dust and hairs and stuff
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks like a hair that got dislodged after shooting. maybe the ember you saw was the output side of the tube reflecting off the hair?

If it was light damage, I would expect to see more of a fade pattern. This looks like a hair. Could be wrong, but that's my guess.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sure looks like debris as it doesn't look like the streaking from firing I have seen before.  Streaking is almost always very linear along the path of whatever caused it.  Yours isn't.

It could have become dislodged and the next round highlighted/reflected off it making it look like it streaked.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Why would there be debris of that size inside his unit?
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Repurge, debris shaken loose.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Agree.  That’s debris probably.  I have never seen a burn that sharp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top