Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2024 12:42:32 PM EDT
To complement a thermal, I am considering a Clip-On Gen 3 tube option.

I know a good while back, PVS-30 refurbs were all the rage.  What is the PVS-30 market like today?  Are they still a good deal on the used market?  I am wondering if I should hold out for a good PVS-24 though.

I run a 3.5X ACOG on my KAC LPR and 1-8X Steiner on my SR-25, though I sometimes run a 3x18X on it.  My usage would generally be 200yds~400yds in East Texas, though closer and farther occasionally would be needed.  This tends to make me think a PVS-24 is a better fit for my application but, I am open to other suggestions.

My only data point with NV scopes was a 3rd Gen PVS-4, a really long time ago.  I am not really considering a PVS-14 FWIW.  I know the PVS-14's are super popular but, they seem like a compromise to me on a rifle other than something like a Ruger 10/22.  And, I want a clip-on to use with rifle daytime scopes.

TIA,
Sid
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:53:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ews] [#1]
they seem to have gone up to around 5.5-6k recently. but also not many pop up.

a better option would be the kac uns a3 though i think that was disco'd too.

or get one of the eotech clip-ir's
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#2]
It seems to me guys are dropping them in favor of a thermal clip on. I’m keeping my eyes open on the right 27 from the right member that I feel I can trust sending that much money to.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 6:59:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wjoutlaw] [#3]
I lucked into a PVS-30 not too long ago. I haven't had a chance to put it through the paces yet. It has a really nice tube in it so I'm  sure it will meet or exceed my expectations.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Currently I have a KAC UNS-SR Green tube and PVS-24 WP tube. I have owned a KAC PVS-26, 30, and recently sold a PVS-27 which were all green tubes.

In my opinion the refurbished 30's are still a good deal under $5k as are used 27's but as you know they are big and heavy.

I think it all comes down to how much magnification you want when shooting at night. The 27 and 30 allows one to go up pretty high if conditions allow for it or if you want to introduce IR illumination.  The quality of your day glass does come into play when using NV at distance.    

The UNS-SR and 24 can only be used up to certain magnifications.  Based on my experience the UNS-SR is 5x max and the 24 I have lets me go to 8x.
I know some people have said they have used the UNS-SR out to 400+ yards but they did it with limited magnification. Some people can do that but I am someone that likes more magnification when shooting. Example most of my shots are under 100 and I like 5-8x. Hell I took a shot at a yote last year with the 27 at about 125 yards and had the Vortex 4-27 cranked up to 25.

No experience with the 22 but many say it is a great compromise between the 27, 30 and devices such as the 24.
Top Top