Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2022 10:12:52 AM EDT
Looking through the tacked topics, I didn’t really see anything going over small upgrades you can purchase/make to improve your experience with your NOD, better protect it, or other improvements. I’ve seen a few mentioned off and on and seen some in the research I did before buying my PVS-14, but wanted to see what else was out there.

Last night I replaced the day cap with a Butler Creek cover that I drilled a 1/8” hole in to make a refocus cap. Seemed to do the trick and I’m no longer having to worry about putting Velcro on the day cap to keep it from dangling about. I looked into the adjustable iris setups, but I’m not really sure it’s worth the effort.

What are folks doing for protecting the objective? I still throw the plastic cap back on when I’m at home, but is the a better solution that can stay with the unit?

Are there any other upgrades/ideas?
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking through the tacked topics, I didn’t really see anything going over small upgrades you can purchase/make to improve your experience with your NOD, better protect it, or other improvements. I’ve seen a few mentioned off and on and seen some in the research I did before buying my PVS-14, but wanted to see what else was out there.

Last night I replaced the day cap with a Butler Creek cover that I drilled a 1/8” hole in to make a refocus cap. Seemed to do the trick and I’m no longer having to worry about putting Velcro on the day cap to keep it from dangling about. I looked into the adjustable iris setups, but I’m not really sure it’s worth the effort.

What are folks doing for protecting the objective? I still throw the plastic cap back on when I’m at home, but is the a better solution that can stay with the unit?

View Quote

The adjustable iris with a butler creek cap and an Amazon iris is easy.  I don't really like that you have to ditch the protective screen though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The adjustable iris with a butler creek cap and an Amazon iris is easy.  I don't really like that you have to ditch the protective screen though.
View Quote

Are you talking about the sacrificial lens? I saw one YouTube walkthrough where they take the lens out of the cap and drop it into the Butler Creek cap before putting the adjustable iris in.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Put a sacrificial lens underneath your butler creek
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Put a sacrificial lens underneath your butler creek
View Quote

My unit came with a LIF, so I’ve got that installed. I’m in a semi-urban area so it helps some with lights.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:30:11 AM EDT
[#5]
$60.00 and you can get roughly same results. Not enough to really notice at all and not worth the extra $440.00 when buying two. The black sharpie I just colored over the white dried crazy glue. Very easy to make. 10 min with a dremel and glue.

photo upload site
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:57:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Upgrading to a dovetail mount/ J-arm is definitely worth it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Mini caribiners

Split rings 10mm

These have multiple uses once you get into NV ^
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:31:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mini caribiners

Split rings 10mm

These have multiple uses once you get into NV ^
View Quote

No doubt. I got a NERD type thing with the helmet, plus the two hooks that come standard on the OpsCore helmets. I also got a mohawk with it but walking 2-3 miles with everything on, I don’t feel like a counterweight is needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top