Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/10/2020 4:57:11 AM EDT
I am looking at buying either a 9CT or SP5 and am leaning toward the 9CT.  I see the pros as follows:

9CT
- welded top rail
- diopter sight
- SBR ready
- $1700 less than the SP5 (at current prices)
- readily available

SP5
- its an HK
- hammer forged barrel

I plan on SBRing this as soon as I get it and putting an HK collapsible stock on it when the form 1 is approved.  Is the 9CT as reliable as the SP5? Are there any known issues with the 9CT (mags, barrel, buffer, etc)?  Thanks in advance for any knowledge or experience you can share.  If the HK is decidedly better, I will spring for it.  It appears prices on GB have settled in around $3500 for an SP5, kind of steep which is why I am looking at alternatives.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 7:10:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Just my 2 cents but I don't find the welded on rail to be a Pro for the 9CT because I prefer an absolute co-witness mount which you can't get with a rail.

I use the Battle Steel mount that is made for Aimpoint T1/T2/Holosuns that provides this absolute co-witness.  Their are others that probably do as well.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 7:19:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't mind the welded rail.  There's a shop that will remove it, weld on the HK style mount on top so you can use the HK mounts (saw it on reddit and I believe the guy said it cost $500).

I bought the 9KT and the 9CT and have been happy with them both.  I've had no issues to speak of beyond the 9KT needing a 80degree LP to run suppressed, but he 9CT doesn't need it.

Fit and finish is good, and the recoil is so much nicer than my 9mm blow back setups.

I believe Atlantic has the 9CT in stock, but they have raised the price about $80 from when I bought it a month or two ago.

I say get the 9CT.  Shoot it a LOT.  If you love the platform buy a SP5 once the craziness settles.  Sell the 9CT or keep it as a beater gun.

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been perfectly happy with my 9ct and 9kt.

Fit and finish is really nice and they shoot real good like. I have had no issues.

Gratuitous nudes

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been extremely happy with mine.  I only run HK mags though.  I sold the plastic ones that came with it.  If you are planning on a can with a 3 lug, get the 9c, not the 9ct.  Had a couple of FTF's during break in.  Got about 3500 down the pipe so far.
I made the mistake of putting a brace on it then doing the Form 1.  It was just a waste of cash and time.  I sold the brace along with a short case and ETS mags at a slight loss.

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't mind the welded rail.  There's a shop that will remove it, weld on the HK style mount on top so you can use the HK mounts (saw it on reddit and I believe the guy said it cost $500).

I bought the 9KT and the 9CT and have been happy with them both.  I've had no issues to speak of beyond the 9KT needing a 80degree LP to run suppressed, but he 9CT doesn't need it.

Fit and finish is good, and the recoil is so much nicer than my 9mm blow back setups.

I believe Atlantic has the 9CT in stock, but they have raised the price about $80 from when I bought it a month or two ago.

I say get the 9CT.  Shoot it a LOT.  If you love the platform buy a SP5 once the craziness settles.  Sell the 9CT or keep it as a beater gun.

View Quote

+1

Except I only have the 9CT, haven't got a 9KT yet.  YET.

The gun you can buy now at its "regular" price has a value that's hard to express.  The SP5 is awesome, but due to its provenance as being an actual HK and the ongoing madness, you will pay at least $1000 over MSRP if you can even find it.  If you're a well-heeled collector, that may not matter.  Unfortunately, I missed the ARFCOM Millionaire bus so I have to be more realistic with my spending.

I think I've spent less on my 9CT, KAC MP5 rail, A3F stock, Magpul grip/safety, and NFA tax stamp than the base MSRP of the SP5.  I don't diminish the HK's quality, and HK-USA actually does a kick-ass job at customer service, but I've also been a long-time PTR owner and generally happy with their products and service too.  Like balloo said, if you love it, add the SP5 later on.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a 9ct. Its treated me well and have had no issues. Id probably sooner buy two 9cts for the same price as 1 sp5
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#7]
If you go look on any internet forum you will find a lot of QC issues with the PTR.  Some guys have good luck but PTR has a long track record of bad QC that has only gotten worse since it's move to SC.  From out of spec BCGs, canted sights, KAC rails not fitting, etc.  I've handled PTR's and am not impressed, from mushy controls to the crappy paint and fit.

You don't see problems with the SP5. I've owned German guns and clones, I wouldn't buy another clone.    The SP5 is made far better, with much more consistent quality.  You also get significant upgrades in the updated and beefed up F BCG, as well as the Ambidextrous pack.  That Ambi pack is significant, many people end up wanting the classic pictogram lower.  That's a $500 upgrade, you can't just swap the plastic on a PTR because the internals are different.

The other aspect is the value, if you sell your PTR you will lose money.  If you sell your SP5 you will likely make money.  Imports like the SP5 are particularly volatile to the political climate, since they can be banned by executive order.  Whenever the SP5 stops coming in, that $1,700 difference will seem like pocket change compared to what the German guns will cost.  If I didn't already have 5 German MP5 variants I'd be buying an SP5 ASAP.

When a German roller lock is available, it's silly to by a clone if you have the means to go German.

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I've owned both a PTR 9CT and an SP5, and I currently have the SP5.

For what it is, the PTR is a good value. I picked mine up last December from Atlantic Firearms for $1489 with a brace, whereas my SP5 was $2650 (both pre-COVID). Nearly $1200 is a whole other gun or two. The PTR ran like a champ, though I only put about 300 rounds through it and none were suppressed. There are some negative reviews/QC issues out there, but the general consensus is their customer service is pretty solid. If you go the PTR route, you'll be getting a well made, solid clone.

That being said, the SP5 really is on another level. The fit and finish is beautiful, it comes with two German mags, a really nice case, and most importantly, it's HK. If you're a fanboy like me, that alone was worth the extra investment. Having had one for about six months now, I have to say I'd easily turn around and pay far over MSRP for one. They're absolutely beautiful firearms that are well worth the price. I recently SBR'd mine and will never part with it under any circumstance. It's my favorite firearm.

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've been extremely happy with mine.  I only run HK mags though.  I sold the plastic ones that came with it.  If you are planning on a can with a 3 lug, get the 9c, not the 9ct.  Had a couple of FTF's during break in.  Got about 3500 down the pipe so far.
I made the mistake of putting a brace on it then doing the Form 1.  It was just a waste of cash and time.  I sold the brace along with a short case and ETS mags at a slight loss.
View Quote

My 9CT currently has the brace, and the brace is probably the lowest quality part of it. Had to grind on it to fit, and I've tried it with other guns also and it's definitely the brace. Feel isn't bad, but I'd sort of like to SBR it but haven't in case I want to sell it later on. Plus, probably wouldn't get anything for the brace anyway.

I haven't have any issues with using the 3 lug on my ct though, is there some issue?

Anyway, yeah, the ct runs great and it's great fun. Mine came with 2 metal mags and I bought 2 more metal mags (forget whose) and all have been excellent. the K might look sweeter, but I didn't want to monkey with changing bolt's.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My 9CT currently has the brace, and the brace is probably the lowest quality part of it. Had to grind on it to fit, and I've tried it with other guns also and it's definitely the brace. Feel isn't bad, but I'd sort of like to SBR it but haven't in case I want to sell it later on. Plus, probably wouldn't get anything for the brace anyway.

I haven't have any issues with using the 3 lug on my ct though, is there some issue?

Anyway, yeah, the ct runs great and it's great fun. Mine came with 2 metal mags and I bought 2 more metal mags (forget whose) and all have been excellent. the K might look sweeter, but I didn't want to monkey with changing bolt's.
View Quote

Some have reported that the thread protector is a hair too fat for some 3 lug silencers to slide over it. My C is nice and tight fit. But aftermarket does make a thinner thread protector.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the replies.  Since I am going to SBR this thing and commit to keeping it, I think the best choice would be the SP5.  It sounds like it definitely is a step above.  Buy once cry once right?
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a PTR 9CT and have been really happy with it. Great customer service too. If the SP5 had been available at the time I would have been very tempted to buy that. I definitely wouldn't pay panic prices for one though. All in all I'm glad I went with a PTR for the ease of SBR'ing it: just slap on a stock and go. Too many parts to replace on the SP5 to meet 922r, not to mention the sear block that isn't present in the PTR.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 1:44:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought my PTR 9ct about 2 and a half years ago when the sp5 wasn’t an option for me. I initially had problems with FTE. I thought it was the mags that came with it so I ordered a KCI and an HK mag from brownells. I still had the occasional FTE even after about 500 rounds.  Then I read the mp5 was designed for 124 gr NATO rounds. So I ordered 500 rounds of 9mm NATO from brownells. Since then I haven’t had any jams. I ordered more 9mm NATO and haven’t looked back. I need to try some 147 and some 115 to see how it does with them.

Other than that Hangup I really love mine.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I bought my PTR 9ct about 2 and a half years ago when the sp5 wasn’t an option for me. I initially had problems with FTE. I thought it was the mags that came with it so I ordered a KCI and an HK mag from brownells. I still had the occasional FTE even after about 500 rounds.  Then I read the mp5 was designed for 124 gr NATO rounds. So I ordered 500 rounds of 9mm NATO from brownells. Since then I haven’t had any jams. I ordered more 9mm NATO and haven’t looked back. I need to try some 147 and some 115 to see how it does with them.

View Quote

Have you inspected your extractor?  My PTR ate everything I fed it.  Steel case, aluminum case, all weights tested.  I like the 147 the best with the silencer because subsonic.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 10:24:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Front what I've seen, not all the HK ones are superior quality.  There was one for sale on our EE from HK with some sloppy looking welds.  So I don't think you can make any blanket statements like that.  You have to look at them on an individual basis.

As far as barrel goes, the ptr one is nitride.  If you watch the IV8888 meltdown videos, they ran a 9mm nitride barrel full auto for an hour straight.  5000 rounds.  They could not trash the barrel.  After the abuse, the barrel was still shooting fine.  I don't know if you'd get any real benefit from a CHF one.

So far, my experience with PTR is with their MP5 mags and their larger caliber roller guns.  I have a bunch of different MP5 mags.  The PTR ones are pretty much identical to KCI ones.  I think they are getting korean mags and refinishing them in a little grippier finish and calling them PTR mags.  But as long as they run in your gun, it doesn't really matter where they came from.

Based on my experience with my larger PTR, the quality of the gun and the customer service, I have ordered 2 of the ptr mp5k clones.  I already have the pof ones.  I like them a lot, but could not bring myself to pay the current HK prices.  I think those prices are pants on head retarded for what you get for your money.  The ptr were close enough in form and function and less than half the cost.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 10:56:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a 9ct and use KCI mags. With factory ammo and most reloads it's 100%. I've only had trouble with some overly long hollow point reloads.

Mine is SBR'ed with a Paki stock.

It's hard to find a red dot that will co-witness at all. I used a Buchnell but didn't like it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Front what I've seen, not all the HK ones are superior quality.  There was one for sale on our EE from HK with some sloppy looking welds.  So I don't think you can make any blanket statements like that.  You have to look at them on an individual basis.

View Quote
The esthetics of the welds have nothing to do with quality.  It's a stamped sheet metal gun, not a Holland and Holland shotgun.

The "Jus as Good" crowd may not like it, but EVERY German MP5 is superior to the PTR's.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think they said something about breaking it in with the Nato then it'd work with anything, but not sure offhand. I mainly shoot 147gr, and don't really shoot the cheaper stuff in 115gr (I don't shoot a ton to make it worth the discount and like the 147gr lawmen for silencers), so can't speak to it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think they said something about breaking it in with the Nato then it'd work with anything, but not sure offhand. I mainly shoot 147gr, and don't really shoot the cheaper stuff in 115gr (I don't shoot a ton to make it worth the discount and like the 147gr lawmen for silencers), so can't speak to it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought my PTR 9ct about 2 and a half years ago when the sp5 wasn't an option for me. I initially had problems with FTE. I thought it was the mags that came with it so I ordered a KCI and an HK mag from brownells. I still had the occasional FTE even after about 500 rounds.  Then I read the mp5 was designed for 124 gr NATO rounds. So I ordered 500 rounds of 9mm NATO from brownells. Since then I haven't had any jams. I ordered more 9mm NATO and haven't looked back. I need to try some 147 and some 115 to see how it does with them.

Broke both mine in with 124gr NATO now all I really shoot is 115gr and 124gr ball. I use factory HK magazines, KCI and the ETS that came with them and no issues.

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The esthetics of the welds have nothing to do with quality.  It's a stamped sheet metal gun, not a Holland and Holland shotgun.

The "Jus as Good" crowd may not like it, but EVERY German MP5 is superior to the PTR's.
View Quote

Well, the "HK fanboi, I paid $4k for this" crowd may not like to hear it, but no, not every HK gun is superior to every PTR.  They have put out stinkers in the past, they will put out stinkers in the future.  Anybody unwilling to acknowledge that fact is not capable of being impartial in the matter.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Well, the "HK fanboi, I paid $4k for this" crowd may not like to hear it, but no, not every HK gun is superior to every PTR.  They have put out stinkers in the past, they will put out stinkers in the future.  Anybody unwilling to acknowledge that fact is not capable of being impartial in the matter.
View Quote
lol.  Glad you have convinced yourself you have a superior gun.  

I didn't pay 4k for mine, and OP shouldn't pay 4k for his.

Also, I'd encourage you to browse this site and the other sites while keeping a running tally of how many QC issues you see reported with PTR and H&Ks.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Also, I'd encourage you to browse this site and the other sites while keeping a running tally of how many QC issues you see reported with PTR and H&Ks.  
View Quote

I wonder what the numbers look like in relation to sample size though.  How many PTRs got sold this year verses how many HKs.  I'd be curious to know how many total over the last 2-3 years (can't remember when PTR started to produce their 9CT and 9KTs).

I am under no illusion that my PTRs are of the same quality as the HK offerings.  Fortunately for me, my go bang every time and are very accurate, so in that regard I am very happy with my purchase.  

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 11:14:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's that strowman argument.

At no time did I say my ptr in better than your or all HK MP5s.  I said you have to look at the guns on an individual basis.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 11:20:59 PM EDT
[#24]
OP, if you can financially swing the SP5, I would recommend you go with the authentic German HK.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There's that strowman argument.

At no time did I say my ptr in better than your or all HK MP5s. I said you have to look at the guns on an individual basis.
View Quote
And that is silly, you don't need to look at them on an individual basis.  It's no different than comparing a Wilson Combat to a Rock Island Arsenal 1911, or a Knight's Armament to a Doublestar AR.  You know which one is better, you don't need to look at them individually.

In the (Very) unlikely event you get a lemon, you will get taken care of and end up with a superior gun.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Depends what you're using it for and what if any future plans?

I just picked up a PTR 9ct the other day. It's extremely early but I think it's awesome. They must selling, mine was made the beginning of December.

It works well for me. I'm not a H&K purist or fanboy so the name doesn't matter and I wanted one before they get canceled.
Honestly I probably shoot the shit out of it at the range (whenever ammo comes around again) barely clean it, drop it on the shop floor a few times, Scratch it, beat it and let everyone slap it. So for me it didn't make any sense. I pretty much treat my range guns as tools.
If I was going to baby it, carry it in a case everywhere, keep it in the safe and actually take care of it then I would of went that route but I missed being rich, on a budget and I like to use my stuff.

Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
And that is silly, you don't need to look at them on an individual basis.  It's no different than comparing a Wilson Combat to a Rock Island Arsenal 1911, or a Knight's Armament to a Doublestar AR.  You know which one is better, you don't need to look at them individually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's just silly. The PTR is no doublestar or rock island. It's like comparing a Baer to a Colt custom shop gun, either will serve you well, one will probably have a bit better fit and finish and either might have the occasional issue. When you're paying that money for either, you should probably give it a look over to make sure yours isn't the one with obvious errors.

Likewise, the idea that Fit & Finish aren't part of the quality of a firearm seems like koolaid talk.

In the (Very) unlikely event you get a lemon, you will get taken care of and end up with a superior gun.

I do hear HK's CS has gotten better, but the idea that they would take care of you would cause quite a laugh back when I dealt with them. Do they even have SP5 tech support in the USA? They used to have to send P7M8's back to Germany to fix...

But really, the HK is a great gun, I just don't understand the need to put down others to try to justify your purchase. It's especially bewildering when comparing the PTR to POF or the turkish guns, just because they were made on machines bought from HK some decades previous rather than actual quality variances.

Certainly the HK will retain it's value very well, and if it existed when I bought my PTR, I'd have given it a good look.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's just silly. The PTR is no doublestar or rock island. It's like comparing a Baer to a Colt custom shop gun, either will serve you well, one will probably have a bit better fit and finish and either might have the occasional issue. When you're paying that money for either, you should probably give it a look over to make sure yours isn't the one with obvious errors.

Likewise, the idea that Fit & Finish aren't part of the quality of a firearm seems like koolaid talk.
View Quote
We will have to agree to disagree.  The PTR is a very low quality product.  It's silly to compare to a semi-custom 1911.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a PTR 9CT and a PTR 91.

I got the railed MP5 because my one regret on my 91 was NOT having a rail. However, I dunno why, the diopter sights on the MP5 size are so great I don't even want the red dot I want on my 91. Go figure.

No failures at all (using Gen 2 Korean mags), stupid accurate out of the box, pretty great all around.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I completed the "break in on both my 9KT and 9CT.  After approx 350rds on the 9KT with the 80degree LP, it will now fire 115grn without any issues.  Before it had FTF with the 80degree LP and 115grn ammo but would shoot 124grn nato all day without a single issue.  Same gun would shoot 115grn suppressed without any issues.

The 9CT is a pussy cat with the factory 100degree LP and shoots 155grn without any issue from the start.

I picked up 6 more KCI Gen2s and 2 HK mags and will buy 4 more HK mags next year.  I picked up 4 of the AC Unity 30rd mags and swapped the followers out for ETS MP5 mag followers.  Once sanded to fit they haven't given me any issues either.  For range mags, the 4 ETS mags that ship with the 9KT and 9CT have also had no feed or eject issues either, just very tight fit.

I will be SBRing both of mine next year and it will be super easy due to the fact these are american made (no 922 compiance to deal with).

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#31]
For the guys who SBRed their PTR9CT, did you have a model number engraved on your receiver somewhere?  I am trying to locate that on my PTR so I can SBR it and it is nowhere to be found.  I see the S/N, caliber, manufacturer/place, but no model number.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
For the guys who SBRed their PTR9CT, did you have a model number engraved on your receiver somewhere?  I am trying to locate that on my PTR so I can SBR it and it is nowhere to be found.  I see the S/N, caliber, manufacturer/place, but no model number.
View Quote

@TEOTWAWKI

Model is: 9CT
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

@TEOTWAWKI

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@TEOTWAWKI

I know that's the model name, but where is that located on the receiver?  Some of the newer 9CTs seem to have the model engraved on the mag well.  Mine doesn't.  

Edit:  in balloo93's post/picture, you can see his has the model "PTR 9" engraved on the mag well.  It doesn't say 9CT.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I know that's the model name, but where is that located on the receiver?  Some of the newer 9CTs seem to have the model engraved on the mag well.  Mine doesn't.  

Edit:  in balloo93's post/picture, you can see his has the model "PTR 9" engraved on the mag well.  It doesn't say 9CT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@TEOTWAWKI

Oh, wow, you have an OG, first run model circa 2018. I've seen some with no "PTR 9" engraved.

For the Form, it's still 9CT for model... unless you don't have a threaded barrel, then it's 9C

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Oh, wow, you have an OG, first run model circa 2018. I've seen some with no "PTR 9" engraved.

For the Form, it's still 9CT for model... unless you don't have a threaded barrel, then it's 9C

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@TEOTWAWKI

Thanks!

ETA:  I purchased it new 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a Coharie CA94 (fullsize MP5), a Zenith Z5P (MP5K-PDW), and a H&K SP5. The two clones work great. No issues to speak of. The SP5 is on a whole different level.

If you are just looking for a shooter, and a Rock Island 1911 is "good enough" for you, great. If you want a beautiful firearm that works great and FEELS great, get a custom 1911 and a SP5.

There's no GOOD reason to go with the higher quality and refined firearm other than pride of ownership in appreciating the finer things.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Go with the SP5. If you have the means to go German, go with it, as it will only increase in value especially with the current administration coming in. The PTR has so many bad reviews and if you decide to sell it later, you'll be lucky if you split even.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Look on the top of the receiver. I have another manufacture but, they put both the s/n and model on the top of the receiver so maybe PTR put it there as well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:34:43 AM EDT
[#39]
I am not a MP5 expert by any means but I have a PTR 9C with a2 stock and navy trigger pack auto sear. Runs all types of ammo. Only issue I had was with the ETS mags, they wouldn't function when loaded to capacity. Ordered some HK mags and a few dozen KCI. No issues anymore.

Last week I picked up an SP5 and SBR'd it (form 2 so no wait time).

Maybe I got lucky but the fit and finish on the PTR is damn close to that of the HK.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#40]
I've had no issues at all with my PTR 9CT. It ran all ammo weights immediately right out of the box, runs great suppressed, and the fit and finish is great. I'd buy one again without hesitation.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#41]
I was going to start a similar thread, but I’ll just resurrect this one.
The price of these keeps drifting apart as the PTR stays about the same and the SP5 creeps up.
It’s hard to tell how much the defenders of each option are being realistic, or if they’re defending why they went Gucci or thrifty.
I can see the SP5 being worth 50-75% more than the PTR, but 200% on up seems excessive. Then again, I’ve never owned either one.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 2:15:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The price of these keeps drifting apart as the PTR stays about the same and the SP5 creeps up.
It’s hard to tell how much the defenders of each option are being realistic, or if they’re defending why they went Gucci or thrifty.
I can see the SP5 being worth 50-75% more than the PTR, but 200% on up seems excessive. Then again, I’ve never owned either one.
View Quote

While lately there is less talk about import restriction, that would be a wild card in the guns value going even higher.  That or HK may prove how much they do hate us and stop importing them because they're HK.  I would love a SP5 and SP5K, but I doubt I would shoot them as much as I do my PTRs.

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#43]
I don’t need to quote it, but the comments about cutting the rail off the PTR and adding the FAR INFERIOR block so you can use a FAR INFERIOR mount... is fanboy hilarious.

If HK gave a single shit about this gun they would have welded the exact same rail in the exact same spot years ago.

No. The HK is not worth 2x the clone objectively. If you need your gun to say HK on the side it is, but that seems a little silly to me personally.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#44]
While I own many HK's I was late to the party on the SP series so I'll be sitting it out til this all settles down. With that said...absolutely love my 9CT and have a 9KT in route.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

While lately there is less talk about import restriction, that would be a wild card in the guns value going even higher.  That or HK may prove how much they do hate us and stop importing them because they're HK.  I would love a SP5 and SP5K, but I doubt I would shoot them as much as I do my PTRs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I completely understand why someone would choose to spend a significant amount more on a genuine HK as an investment, or for pride of ownership. I just can’t tell from variety of posts what the actual increase in functionality is. They run the gamut from “PTR is garbage” to “PTR is superior to HK”
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I completely understand why someone would choose to spend a significant amount more on a genuine HK as an investment, or for pride of ownership. I just can't tell from variety of posts what the actual increase in functionality is. They run the gamut from "PTR is garbage" to "PTR is superior to HK"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was going to start a similar thread, but I'll just resurrect this one.
It's hard to tell how much the defenders of each option are being realistic, or if they're defending why they went Gucci or thrifty.
I can see the SP5 being worth 50-75% more than the PTR, but 200% on up seems excessive. Then again, I've never owned either one.

I completely understand why someone would choose to spend a significant amount more on a genuine HK as an investment, or for pride of ownership. I just can't tell from variety of posts what the actual increase in functionality is. They run the gamut from "PTR is garbage" to "PTR is superior to HK"
As someone who has used/trained with HK MP5's for work, I am more than happy with my 9CT. It's ate everything I have thrown at it and I bought it early this year, with a build date of late Dec 2020. I have a 9KT I just purchased and waiting for it to come in. Seems there have been issues with PTR's K variant as of late but I'm willing to gamble.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:37:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I don’t need to quote it, but the comments about cutting the rail off the PTR and adding the FAR INFERIOR block so you can use a FAR INFERIOR mount... is fanboy hilarious.

If HK gave a single shit about this gun they would have welded the exact same rail in the exact same spot years ago.

No. The HK is not worth 2x the clone objectively. If you need your gun to say HK on the side it is, but that seems a little silly to me personally.
View Quote

Weird thing to me is that I have a PTR-91 and wish I'd gotten a rail for it. So I got the PTR-9 for the rail. And I like the diopter sights on the PTR-9 so much more that I have no desire to put an optic on it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#48]
I ended up getting a PTR 9CT.  The SP5 just wasn’t available unless I wanted to pay $4k for one.  The PTR does not appear to be any less quality than the MP5 I had issued to me several years ago.  It’s accurate, and runs flawlessly including with HP ammo I have ran through it.  Fit and finish is perfect.  I guess I got lucky.  I was able to purchase it for $1700 with free shipping.  Transfer was $20.  

I left the two ETS mags in the case and have been using factory HK MP5 mags.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 2:32:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I ended up getting a PTR 9CT.  The SP5 just wasn’t available unless I wanted to pay $4k for one.  The PTR does not appear to be any less quality than the MP5 I had issued to me several years ago.  It’s accurate, and runs flawlessly including with HP ammo I have ran through it.  Fit and finish is perfect.  I guess I got lucky.  I was able to purchase it for $1700 with free shipping.  Transfer was $20.  

I left the two ETS mags in the case and have been using factory HK MP5 mags.
View Quote

Congratulations on your purchase.The PTR roller guns are awesome.I’ve got an SP5 and PTR 9ct.Removing emotions from it, I prefer the PTR because of the welded on rail.I like red dots and am not a fan of the claw mounts.When I wanna shoot diopter irons I grab the Sp5.Both great guns although the HK’s are overpriced imho.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I completely understand why someone would choose to spend a significant amount more on a genuine HK as an investment, or for pride of ownership. I just can’t tell from variety of posts what the actual increase in functionality is. They run the gamut from “PTR is garbage” to “PTR is superior to HK”
View Quote

It's just elitism at the end of the day, that's all.  It is people who need to justify their purchase by shitting on something else to feel better about their item or themselves.  I look at everything objectively and try to be unbiased in my opinion.

The reality is that you are spot on and functionally it's not going to be that much different if the guns are made to the right specs and have good QC behind them.  I own a Century imported MKE MP5, and have trigger time behind an SP5, full auto HK MP5, Zenith Z-5RS (same as my MKE but different importer), and an Omega OM-9.  All of them were very reliable and had no issues.  Some guns will have slightly tighter tolerances than others, and the metallurgy on the HK guns will be a slight step above the others but that's it.  The MKE guns in my experience seem to be a bit tighter fitting than the HKs and they have better welds, but the HKs will have slightly better metallurgy and the better barrel although both are cold hammer forged.

Battlefield Vegas, for instance, runs both Turkish (MKE) and German MP5s and have stated both variants are extremely reliable (saw that in a Mr GunsnGear video).

The bias always seems to come from people who have the least amount of experience.  I have a friend who owns a Zenith Z5RS and a SP5 and has a ton of rounds through each and said functionally you wouldn't know the difference and both guns are high equally reliable.

I've only handled a PTR so I can't speak too much to their reliability as I have not shot one.  The most common examples out there for comparison seem to be Zenith/MKE, HK, and POF.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top