Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2018 9:53:20 PM EDT
This also might apply to SCARs, but I don't know if the plastic is the same....

Will the stock formulation hold up to DEET? Will it distort or melt like plastic watches or fake leather shoes?   I'm a new FS2000 owner, and this being VA, bug spray is a part of outdoor life.  I'd hate to think that such a simple/common consumer/military product would damage it.

Any thoughts or experience???
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:21:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I going to go with "bad idea."

Used DEET in the mil and will eat a lot of different types of plastics; I wouldn't chance it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Using "Off" does no harm to my FS2000.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#3]
"OFF" doesn't contain very high levels of DEET.

Mil issue repellants contain much higher DEET levels; I don't know about the FN stocks, but it was enough to dissolve/distort/disfigure things like watch faces, bands, etc.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 7:34:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"OFF" doesn't contain very high levels of DEET.

Mil issue repellants contain much higher DEET levels; I don't know about the FN stocks, but it was enough to dissolve/distort/disfigure things like watch faces, bands, etc.
View Quote
Makes one think about spraying that on your body.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll try it with my SCAR this summer

On a side note, this answers why my Subaru Crosstrek's wheel would melt on my hands after spraying myself with OFF
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd use picaridin anyway
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
DEET won't harm natural materials (like cotton), only synthetics.
Most deep woods Off is only around 25% DEET, but Deep Woods Sportsmen contains 98.25% DEET. That's the good stuff.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 1:47:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Never had an issue with mine.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 1:57:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well, I'm not made of plastic, so...
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I was in training for a few months down south several years back.  Each morning I sprayed myself with deep woods OFF containing a high DEET percentage in my room. Towards the end of training, I noticed dimples in my barracks TV frame. The overspray from my morning bug spray application was seriously eating away at it.

I switched to Skin So Soft but then had to put up with comments on how pretty I smelt.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:18:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was in training for a few months down south several years back.  Each morning I sprayed myself with deep woods OFF containing a high DEET percentage in my room. Towards the end of training, I noticed dimples in my barracks TV frame. The overspray from my morning bug spray application was seriously eating away at it.

I switched to Skin So Soft but then had to put up with comments on how pretty I smelt.
View Quote
Skin so soft is interesting, researchers determined the ingredient that repels mosquitoes and it genuinely works. I like that I don't feel compelled to scrub all the kids clean as soon as we get back inside.

Doesn't do anything for ticks, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top