Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2021 7:59:31 PM EDT
we are trying to get this thing stripped down to bare bones but I have no idea on how to take out the "hinge pin" or "pivot pin"  ( not really sure what to call it )
I've found a few threads else where that say you can just tap it out with a punch.  We have tried this and the thing doesn't budge.  I'm scared to put it in a press and risk damaging something I don't know about.
any help would be appreciated.  This is the version with the solid pivot pin.  on the left side the pin is flat.  on the right side the pin has a slight bevel around the edge.  

Link Posted: 5/25/2021 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The one you tap out are 2 piece with a split pin inside a hollow pin.

That looks like some sort of solid pin that has been peened over or maybe its screwed together in the middle?

Link Posted: 5/26/2021 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I could be wrong, but I think the WW2 Russian PPSH-41's had a solid pin like yours, and the 2 piece pins were in Polish or Hungarian ones.  I was under the impression the solid ones just drifted out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I could be wrong, but I think the WW2 Russian PPSH-41's had a solid pin like yours, and the 2 piece pins were in Polish or Hungarian ones.  I was under the impression the solid ones just drifted out.
View Quote

this is about as much information as I could come up with as well.
I was just worried because we had a few solid whacks at it with a pretty large punch and a hammer that is probably more suitable for driving railroad spikes.  The thing wouldn't budge.  
I guess maybe just soak it in some penetrating oil and have a little patience.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I have no idea really.  I have seen a few of the split pins you have described for the polish variant.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I just found this pic online.  It looks like it might have a detent locking the henge pin in place.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I've read the thread that picture came from.  If I recall, the thread author said they just drifted it out.  I can appreciate the concern about hurting the gun.  I have a Russian PPSH-41 in NFA jail right now.  It has a solid pin like yours.  Once I take possession of it, I will be trying to remove that pin and swap out the lower.  I hope I don't have the same trouble you are having.....
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Soak it in Kroil over night then give it a good whack with a punch just about the same size as the pin
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Don’t forget to support the area around the pin, on the side opposite of your hammer & punch. That will keep most of the impact force on the pin, rather than on bending the sheet metal of the firearm into a banana.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don’t forget to support the area around the pin, on the side opposite of your hammer & punch. That will keep most of the impact force on the pin, rather than on bending the sheet metal of the firearm into a banana.
View Quote

we have a 2x4 set up with a hole drilled to prevent bananafication
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Soak it in Kroil over night then give it a good whack with a punch just about the same size as the pin
View Quote

thats good advice.  i'm gonna pick up some penetrating oil tonight.  hopefully a good soak for a few days does the trick.

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 11:35:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Check the hole on the bottom of the receiver that intersects the solid cross pin. There may still be a split, thin wall spring retainer that keeps the solid pin from walking out. I destroyed it to remove it and threw it away. It  was not missed, friction fit will keep the solid pin in place. If the solid pin tries to walk out, take a center punch and dink up the pin a little bit.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you ever get the pin out?
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 7:25:35 AM EDT
[#13]
At :30 sec
PPSh-41: full disassembly & assembly

CD
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 3:00:44 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

That is the 2 part pin which is easier to take out. Many have the single pin which is a pain to get out. I'm having issues getting mine out. Got it to move but it doesn't want to move any more so I'm going to freeze and heat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top