Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2021 12:29:26 AM EDT
I was browsing a thread in the archives lastnight that was made in the middle of last year about "old school webbing rigs" and it vanished on me and can't seem to pull it back up.

My post title will hopefully grab a gent or two from that thread, but basically it's exactly what I want. I just don't know where to get em in the US.

I have no hips to speak of, so I almost always use either a suspender system or an FLC. Neither of those systems mesh real well with my plate carrier, but the British web system has a yoke with 6 points of contact to the belt, AND is made to go under the plate carrier.

I'm not made of money, I'm just trying to get my gear to ride better than it currently does. Surplus normally fits the bill for me. ??
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:58:49 AM EDT
[#1]
The thread title may be " Old-style Belt and Suspender Rigs/LBEs for SHTF, Hiking, LARPing, etc"... apparently access to the archive has been restricted due to the recent big tech commie shenanigans.

Check out the ATS Warbelt and the ATC Warbelt Harness... low profile and rides under a PC okay.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The thread title may be " Old-style Belt and Suspender Rigs/LBEs for SHTF, Hiking, LARPing, etc"... apparently access to the archive has been restricted due to the recent big tech commie shenanigans.

Check out the ATS Warbelt and the ATC Warbelt Harness... low profile and rides under a PC okay.
View Quote
Something like this might be a better choice if worn under a PC: https://atstacticalgear.com/protection/suspenders/
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:07:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Since there is a PLCE thread opne I also have a question:

What attachment systems fit the belt? My understanding is that it is 2.5" wide which is pretty big compared to most belts.

Also, is the holster any good at all? I know it will be slow but can it hold a Glock 17 or a P226?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Something like this might be a better choice if worn under a PC: https://atstacticalgear.com/protection/suspenders/
View Quote

I noticed ATS was even mentioned in a thread I found pinned that goes all the way back to 2008ish.
I guess they've been around for a bit huh?

I was actually debating on them as well, till I discovered someone posted the PLCE system up. Looks way more substantial.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Well most everyone has moved on past that because we can separate kits into first, second, and third line items. Can you not wear a simple gun bel? What do you want to actually keep on you?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well most everyone has moved on past that because we can separate kits into first, second, and third line items. Can you not wear a simple gun bel? What do you want to actually keep on you?
View Quote

I personally can't stand wearing a plain gun belt doing double duty of holding my pants up along with gear. I'm a skinny puke with no padding on my hips ??

I like to keep things separate.

Also, the reason im keeping most of my gear on a belt is to keep my back free to ventilate. If I absolutely have to, I'll wear armor with some basic Mag singles on front to supliment the belt kit, but I want most of my gear to be on a belt, and existance gear in a small assault pack of sorts.

First line would be what I have on my simple pistol belt, which would then come off my belt and go into my 2nd line padded belt when that is put on.

Most of the year in Florida it's humid as ballsack, and I live in the woods in a rural area. Not much breeze either. Need to keep cool with a basic PC or none at all.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I personally can't stand wearing a plain gun belt doing double duty of holding my pants up along with gear. I'm a skinny puke with no padding on my hips ??

I like to keep things separate.

Also, the reason im keeping most of my gear on a belt is to keep my back free to ventilate. If I absolutely have to, I'll wear armor with some basic Mag singles on front to supliment the belt kit, but I want most of my gear to be on a belt, and existance gear in a small assault pack of sorts.

First line would be what I have on my simple pistol belt, which would then come off my belt and go into my 2nd line padded belt when that is put on.

Most of the year in Florida it's humid as ballsack, and I live in the woods in a rural area. Not much breeze either. Need to keep cool with a basic PC or none at all.
View Quote

What gear are you trying to carry? Specifically.

First line: belt
Second line: chest rig or plate carrier
third line: packs

Also, try wearing your belt higher. This is a common problem with people who don't know to keep their belt higher and end up riding it on the outside of their hips, instead of above them. Additionally, if you're going a long way you're not going to be wanting a plate carrier, but a chest rig and a ruck that has a cummerbund.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What gear are you trying to carry? Specifically.

First line: belt
Second line: chest rig or plate carrier
third line: packs

Also, try wearing your belt higher. This is a common problem with people who don't know to keep their belt higher and end up riding it on the outside of their hips, instead of above them. Additionally, if you're going a long way you're not going to be wanting a plate carrier, but a chest rig and a ruck that has a cummerbund.
View Quote

First line is my wilderness belt with CCW and a Mag, normally my Beretta 92fs. I wear it almost daily, but it kills me. Yeah, I wear my belt higher than most do now a days, I even buy higher waisted pants because it's more comfortable to have my belt more on my waist than my hips(which I really dont have) along with whatever I happen to have in my pockets at the time.

2nd line would be a combat load, the pistol will either disappear or be moved into my 2nd line, which I plan to be based around a belt system with suspenders. Magazines on my right side, since I'm primarily a lefty with rifles. Along with medical, water/purification, poncho and quick calorie food just incase it turns into a bit longer of a trip with the 2nd line gear. Adding the plate carrier would add 3 more mags into the mix for my rifle, along with a camelback on my back. Those mags would be used to feed my belt if my belt runs dry. I keep the front pretty slick even on my belt because I love being able to go prone and not kill myself with stuff on the front.

3rd line is replacing the small camelback with a larger pack for more long term gear, shelter, food, etc.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

First line is my wilderness belt with CCW and a Mag, normally my Beretta 92fs. I wear it almost daily, but it kills me. Yeah, I wear my belt higher than most do now a days, I even buy higher waisted pants because it's more comfortable to have my belt more on my waist than my hips(which I really dont have) along with whatever I happen to have in my pockets at the time.

2nd line would be a combat load, the pistol will either disappear or be moved into my 2nd line, which I plan to be based around a belt system with suspenders. Magazines on my right side, since I'm primarily a lefty with rifles. Along with medical, water/purification, poncho and quick calorie food just incase it turns into a bit longer of a trip with the 2nd line gear. Adding the plate carrier would add 3 more mags into the mix for my rifle, along with a camelback on my back. Those mags would be used to feed my belt if my belt runs dry. I keep the front pretty slick even on my belt because I love being able to go prone and not kill myself with stuff on the front.

3rd line is replacing the small camelback with a larger pack for more long term gear, shelter, food, etc.
View Quote

A first line is a belt, second line is your chest rig/carrier, and third line is a pack. If you have a bunch of stuff on a belt but use suspenders, that's still first line serving as a belt.

You should keep things on your belt that you'd need immediate access to. A poncho, water purification, and food does not go on your belt, that goes in a backpack. You COULD go for something like a Crye suspenders system with their padded belt, but again it's gonna be wonky with a plate carrier and you're better with a regular belt and putting the rest in a pack or on your literal carrier.

Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A first line is a belt, second line is your chest rig/carrier, and third line is a pack. If you have a bunch of stuff on a belt but use suspenders, that's still first line serving as a belt.

You should keep things on your belt that you'd need immediate access to. A poncho, water purification, and food does not go on your belt, that goes in a backpack. You COULD go for something like a Crye suspenders system with their padded belt, but again it's gonna be wonky with a plate carrier and you're better with a regular belt and putting the rest in a pack or on your literal carrier.

Just my $0.02
View Quote

This is how I've looked at it, 1st line is daily edc stuff, 2nd line is combat gear / 24hr load out. 3rd line extends the 24hr mark to more like 72.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/article/three-lines-of-gear-placement-right-gear-in-the-right-place/65506
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I ended up sourcing some decent gear. I'll take a photo of the setup when I get home. I have some packages to open when I get back from work.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 9:35:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's the most modern setup I've made so far.

Pretty minimal for me, need a smaller trauma kit for the belt, planning on an LPVO for the AR. My aimpoint is currently on my FAL.
Went with hsgi tacos for Mag compatibility between my AR AK and FAL.
Gonna hit the tacos with some matte paint to break up their outlines more and remove the shine.

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the Tactical Tailor suspenders on a battle belt. Super thin, could probably go under a PC without issue.

I mean, that's my plan but I've never tried it. Just 5-7 mile runs.

https://skdtac.com/tactical-tailor-fight-light-4-point-battle-belt-harness/
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#14]
@sparkfly88
That was my thread. I got 11x14 plates after Black Friday, but don't wear them much other than around the house and driving a few times. The PLCE and ALICE rigs will both fit under the PC, but I have a long torso so that might not work for everybody.

After some mock patrols and hikes totaling about 15 miles, I ended up going back to the ALICE rig because the PLCE shoulder straps kept trying to slide off my shoulders. I added a sternum strap but that only slightly mitigated the issue.

Other thing was that the PLCE felt like a giant rubber band around my hips/waist, even though the belt was the exact same length as my ALICE setup. Unsure of what caused that, but it limited my mobility and made it more tiring to carry than ALICE with the same weight.

For a heavy "sustainment" load of ~48 hours they both worked well, I just prefer the ALICE.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Jayjays in the UK makes molle and sewn in webbing kit and offers an under armour specific yoke. British tactical also makes a yoke well designed for under armour. This is basically the standard rig for UK infantry.  I am personally using a brittac molle webbing belt and custom yoke from 1157 gear. The difference between a good under armour yoke and a regular yoke is that the buckles are at the bottom and not at the top of the webbing where it would rub under plates.
Most of the UK companies, jayjays, Dixies corner, brittac will ship to the us for reasonable rates.
For those recommending lighter us made battle belts and 4 point suspenders they are not substantial enough to carry full battle load under armour. They have fine for a pistol, couple magazines etc but not a full load of magazines and water.

YouTube channel military kit review has good reviews and comparisons of webbing vs light belt kit and he is a serving UK infantry soldier
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I have my Sure Grip belt set up to somewhat emulate the PLCE belt kit, although mine has provision for a holster, better access to TQ's, and some other changes to suit my needs.

I have two sets of suspenders: Tactical Tailor for use without armor, and HSGI low-pro for those times I want to throw a PC on top. The TT has a bit more padding, loops for cord routing, and a drag strap. All of those are great if your are not wearing armor over it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top