Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2023 5:11:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Medcop]
So, mossberg has pistol grip only guns that shoot shotgun shells. Putting a pistol brace on them is common. With the new stance by the alphabet gang wouldn’t this “pistol shotgun” with a short barrel now be “illegal”?  Would they allow the amnesty registration? I can’t find info on this (probably didn’t look hard enough)

(Ok, it’s in the faq of 2021-08, at the bottom. Says no SBS can be registered)
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 4:44:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I was wondering about this as well.

Poop.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve asked multiple times in different places. I’ve got a tax-14 with a pistol brace.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:51:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chumpmiester] [#3]
Here is the section that talks about these smoothbore firearms in the Factoring Criteria document (page 47).

Attachment Attached File

As stated a 'firearm" is designed to be shot using two hands and has never had a stock attached. And since they are designed to be shot using two hands, they do not meet the legal definition of a pistol.

So yes a braced Shockwave, TAC14, or similar smoothbore firearm is illegal once the new rule goes into effect.

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#4]
So does that mean it needs to be registered in the same process as the other firearms?
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#5]
The new interpretation is for pistol to SBR

SBS is not part of the process outlined
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
The new interpretation is for pistol to SBR

SBS is not part of the process outlined
View Quote

Yes the tac-14 or shockwave with a brace is considered a short barreled shotgun now. According to the online FFL training yesterday they said they hadn’t reach a ruling yet on those specifically and suggest moving it back to a birdshead grip configuration. Which mean if you bought it with a brace, and they were sold this way from Remington and mossberg that you would have to buy a birds head grip somewhere and take the brace off.

Unless they decide to rule that they will slow them to be registered just like the pistols.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#7]
And for those that need a birds head grip, you can get them directly from Shockwave Technologies fro $25 each.

https://shockwavetechnologies.com/product/raptor-grip-for-mossberg-500/

For the people who own Shockwaves or Tack13/14 that came with a brace, you might or might not have to get a new bolt. I don't know if the bolts for the braces are different or not. But you can get them from Shockwave Tech. for $4 if needed.

https://shockwavetechnologies.com/product/replacement-hardware-for-raptor-grip-m500/

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:26:58 PM EDT
[#8]
What about the Black Aces Tactical Pro Series S Mini 12GA PG Firearm with a 10" barrel and brace? You can't replace the brace with a raptor grip and reach the 26" minimum OAL.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AZ_Raptor:
What about the Black Aces Tactical Pro Series S Mini 12GA PG Firearm with a 10" barrel and brace? You can't replace the brace with a raptor grip and reach the 26" minimum OAL.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/media/catalog/product/cache/7af8331bf1196ca28793bd1e8f6ecc7b/b/l/black-aces-tactical-pro-series-s-mini-10-12-gauge-shotgun_-walnut.jpg
View Quote

If I had to guess - the ATF will consider that a SBS. Take the brace off and it can't be an AOW due to having the brace from the factory. Braces retroactively are considered stocks so it had a stock from day 1 but the barrel is short so it's a SBS.

Just my shot in the dark based on what the ATF says.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top