Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2020 4:26:44 PM EDT
I am starting to think I want to put a PDW stock on my SBR AR.  Anyone have any preferences on a certain brand?  thanks!
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#1]
All depends on how short you want to go. If you want to go super short, the DeadFoot arms SCW 2.5 is your best option.
The maxims are great.
The deadfoot arms scw are better.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the rail type.  I think the Maxim is what I like best.  How is the LWRC?
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried a ton of them and stay with a mission first minimalist. Everything shorter requires special parts or weighs a ton. Not worth the price.

If you wanna go shorter than that a law folder is the only option but that makes the thing fat
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in the process of building a 300 BLK PDW out of my Daniel Defense factory SBR lower. Currently waiting on my Radian Weapons Model 1 300 BLK 9" complete upper to get here.

I looked into the LWRC PDW stock kit (3.5" in length when collapsed), but was told it would only work with their piston-driven uppers. So that ruled that out. I ended up going with the Maxim SCW stock kit (4" in length when collapsed) and was very pleased with the quality, fitment, aesthetics, functionality, and the cheek weld. I test-fit this lower with another SBR upper and really dig the compactness and feel. So if you're considering the SCW kit, +1. They seem to have 15% off coupons + free shipping pretty regularly if you buy direct, or I know Optics Planet sells them for slightly less when you factor in a 10% off coupon and free shipping (although tax).

Link Posted: 10/26/2020 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#5]
agree.  Maxim is great.

Added benefit.  You can buy the pistol brace and replace when you have form 1 swap to stock with same buffer tube.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 2:10:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the Maxim and LWRC UCIW.

I like both, the JPSCS probably makes me prefer the Maxim, but the LWRC is more comfortable.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
How short a barrel can I go with 556 and this stock?
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#8]
The LMT PDW stock kit is super short and uses all standard components :)  it is very short.  It has a more traditional look, but it is very small.   I ordered the parts individually and modified a Kriss stock to fit - was cheaper by far to piece it together with my own stock that to buy the kit with no intentions of using the stock that came with it.  Here is the LMT kit with a 4.5" 556 upper.  I'd be willing to sell the stock, tube, buffer, etc as I later went to the DFA MCS.

Here is the DFA MCS with a 3" 9mm upper,

Link Posted: 11/12/2020 10:58:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The LMT PDW stock kit is super short and uses all standard components :)  it is very short.  It has a more traditional look, but it is very small.   I ordered the parts individually and modified a Kriss stock to fit - was cheaper by far to piece it together with my own stock that to buy the kit with no intentions of using the stock that came with it.  Here is the LMT kit with a 4.5" 556 upper.  I'd be willing to sell the stock, tube, buffer, etc as I later went to the DFA MCS.

https://i.ibb.co/j5TXd5T/20200104-151107.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/vvcK7R1/20200104-151136.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/5B2WJVC/20200429-091326.jpg
View Quote

That 3" 9mm is so awesome! borderline comical in size. Say hello to my little friend.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 8:59:49 AM EDT
[#10]
That 9 is adorable.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That 9 is adorable.
View Quote

The carry handle just pushes it over the edge
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's the end product
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I went with MVB's ARC stock on my 300 blk.
IMG_2389 (1) by HD Rider, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I went went the MVB ARC as well.  The selling point for me was I could use any BCG i wanted, not one with proprietary parts.  I have the lightweight version.  There are several good things about it.  At the same time, I would not mind looking at other options on the market that do not have the proprietary parts.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Double tap post
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The LMT PDW stock kit is super short and uses all standard components :)  it is very short.  It has a more traditional look, but it is very small.   I ordered the parts individually and modified a Kriss stock to fit - was cheaper by far to piece it together with my own stock that to buy the kit with no intentions of using the stock that came with it.
View Quote

How were you able to order the parts individually? I can only find it as a kit. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I emailed and asked about the kit minus the stock, and explained that I wanted to use my own stock.  I got an email back with a list of parts and prices and i called and ordered :)  I ordered a carrier weight, spring, buffer, & buffer tube.

However, I called last week about getting an additional carrier weight so I could have another upper that was swap ready and I was told that they do not sell parts, just kits :(  so it looks like eirher they figured out how much money I saved piecing it together and decided not to do that any more, or I spoke with someone who just didn't know...

You might get a different person who has a different opinion though!  Worth a try!

Link Posted: 12/14/2020 9:09:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I emailed and asked about the kit minus the stock, and explained that I wanted to use my own stock.  I got an email back with a list of parts and prices and i called and ordered :)  I ordered a carrier weight, spring, buffer, & buffer tube.

However, I called last week about getting an additional carrier weight so I could have another upper that was swap ready and I was told that they do not sell parts, just kits :(  so it looks like eirher they figured out how much money I saved piecing it together and decided not to do that any more, or I spoke with someone who just didn't know...

You might get a different person who has a different opinion though!  Worth a try!

View Quote

Lol. Thanks for the info. What was the price minus the stock?
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Lol. Thanks for the info. What was the price minus the stock?
View Quote

Let's just say that the hourly rate for whoever cuts the SOPMOD stock down for them must be outrageous!  it was quite under $200 for everything minus the stock body...  Which is what leads me to wonder if that's why they don't piece them out anymore.

Link Posted: 12/14/2020 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I like the BAD PDW system. Not overly heavy or bulky. I have two on SBR’s, they’re nice
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Let's just say that the hourly rate for whoever cuts the SOPMOD stock down for them must be outrageous!  it was quite under $200 for everything minus the stock body...  Which is what leads me to wonder if that's why they don't piece them out anymore.
View Quote

Yeah, just got the following message from Aaron: "The PDW parts are only sold as a kit. We do not sell them individually.
Have a great day."
I may buy the die and rethread the receiver extension myself. Nice setup you have. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks!!  I think a cut down and re-threaded buffer tube, flat wire spring, cut down buffer, and a .625" diam x 1.75-2.0" piece of brass round stock pinned into the end of the BCG would do the job.  Since I can't get another carrier weight, I think I'm going to have a buddy turn me a few brass inserts and drill and pin them to the BCGs for my two uppers.

Good luck with the project !!  if you need specific measurements, send me a PM and I'll give ya figures for everything :)
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks!!  I think a cut down and re-threaded buffer tube, flat wire spring, cut down buffer, and a .625" diam x 1.75-2.0" piece of brass round stock pinned into the end of the BCG would do the job.  Since I can't get another carrier weight, I think I'm going to have a buddy turn me a few brass inserts and drill and pin them to the BCGs for my two uppers.

Good luck with the project !!  if you need specific measurements, send me a PM and I'll give ya figures for everything :)
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/26/2020 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Good luck with the project !!
View Quote

It's so effing cute!
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's so effing cute!
http://i.imgur.com/CzHEqgo.jpg
View Quote

I dig it!!!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:36:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I dig it!!!!
View Quote

Thanks! Here's an pic of it next to the Lage'd M11/9 for stock size comparison...

Finished-ish stock extended.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thanks! Here's an pic of it next to the Lage'd M11/9 for stock size comparison...
https://i.imgur.com/C8Lbb8V.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VAwNGW6.jpg
View Quote

Wow great work especially on the tube and buffer modification! May I suggest sanding down and cutting the A2 grip to a KAC PDW grip to balance it out?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I am partial to the BAD Vert stock on this 300BO SBR:

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:32:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Question..maybe silly but genuinely curious

Are you guys that are swapping to these compact setups, not worried about the shorter OAL?

As you have to enter the length on the form 1, any problems with this?
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Question..maybe silly but genuinely curious

Are you guys that are swapping to these compact setups, not worried about the shorter OAL?

As you have to enter the length on the form 1, any problems with this?
View Quote

Form 1 is what it was built to, you aren't stuck with those dimensions forever.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I have the BAD PDW monolithic lower for my SBR. With a 7.5” barrel it comes in at 20.5” OAL and 24.5” with stock fully extended. I may still have pics somewhere. I really like the stock overall, but there are times i wish it was an inch or two longer as well.
—edit— found picture
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/C8Lbb8V.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VAwNGW6.jpg
View Quote

Very nice!

Any pic of how you worked the buffer stop?
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Very nice!

View Quote

What do you mean? I'm trying to figure out what you would like to see. Apologies, but my other account was nuked because I was disagreeable with the site's royalty...
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What do you mean? I'm trying to figure out what you would like to see. Apologies, but my other account was nuked because I was disagreeable with the site's royalty...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very nice!

Don't think this account will last long either with that admission.

Cool gun though!
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#35]
posting to see if it marks this thread as read in the forum list.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Of the short, PDW type, I much prefer the Battle Arms Vert stock.  Not the absolute shortest, but extended still gives a decent LOP and cheek weld.  Most importantly, no proprietary carrier or carrier extension of any sort.  No weird issues like not being able to shotgun the AR or anything.

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Of the short, PDW type, I much prefer the Battle Arms Vert stock.  Not the absolute shortest, but extended still gives a decent LOP and cheek weld.  Most importantly, no proprietary carrier or carrier extension of any sort.  No weird issues like not being able to shotgun the AR or anything.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/No1xWhTYWKCaZgUnOTdly3DZz3vOE6VLeIv7wnguy7li0OEOCN8w7KUYeP4hJ79eJhYpW2b8Dj3hbVaKF2c=w1000
View Quote

@houlster: what stick mag is that?

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Colt pattern 9mm lower / mag
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Can the Maxim PDW stock be extended with one hand only?

I got a Troy short Tomahawk kit and was disappointed to find that two hands are needed to extend and contract it!

The LWRC stock is great, but can only be used with their piston system.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 10:57:56 PM EDT
[#40]

MVB arc-x pdw
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 11:16:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Can the Maxim PDW stock be extended with one hand only?

I got a Troy short Tomahawk kit and was disappointed to find that two hands are needed to extend and contract it!

The LWRC stock is great, but can only be used with their piston system.
View Quote

LWRC can most definitely be used withOUT the LWRC piston uppers.

I have 2 on DI 6.8 and 5.56 custom rifles

The LWRC is probably the most comfortable one out of most on this list, at least to me.

I have the Tomahawk on a short 6.8 rifle and its short, but not super comfy
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

LWRC can most definitely be used withOUT the LWRC piston uppers.

I have 2 on DI 6.8 and 5.56 custom rifles

The LWRC is probably the most comfortable one out of most on this list, at least to me.

I have the Tomahawk on a short 6.8 rifle and its short, but not super comfy
View Quote

The PDW stock can be used on DI guns?  The proprietary bolt carrier that comes with the PDW stock would have to be milled extensively to make it work DI.  Or is there a way to get a DI version from LWRC?

Or are you using the UCIW?
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#43]
That's my mistake,

I have the UCIW stocks, with their shortie buffers and custom springs

I didnt realize LWRC had another offering
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#44]
I like the Maxim. Threw an SB Tactical brace strut on it until I get around to SBR’ing it. It fit fine too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://i.ibb.co/j5TXd5T/20200104-151107.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/vvcK7R1/20200104-151136.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/5B2WJVC/20200429-091326.jpg
View Quote

Hahahahaha, that 3” 9mm AR is so great. Not my cup of tea to own, but I still love it. Well done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top