BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 19
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I read somewhere that the COTI has a range of 500m. Does anyone have footage of max range on these?

I have a CNVD-T that I may offload if the range is comparable. I believe the CNVD-T is 800m max. The COTI feels like it could be a more efficient set up.

(In before “why not both”)
View Quote

As has been posted many times before, range capability depends on many factors and can’t really be simplified to just a straight distance. What do you want your thermal for? What are you wanting to detect and in what sort of environment?

I think if you’re hoping for a replacement for the capability in your clip-on you should look elsewhere. The COTI is much more catered to up close detection and every once in a while might catch things at distance out in the open.

Edit - as an example at a bit of distance, here’s a shot I’ve posted before of a whitetail at 400yd exactly. Had to switch to clip-on NV to identify what sorta critter it was.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the response and photo evidence. I was indeed looking for a way to ditch the CNVD-T to free up some rail space, weight, and cash- but it does come in handy at longer distances.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

As has been posted many times before, range capability depends on many factors and can’t really be simplified to just a straight distance. What do you want your thermal for? What are you wanting to detect and in what sort of environment?

I think if you’re hoping for a replacement for the capability in your clip-on you should look elsewhere. The COTI is much more catered to up close detection and every once in a while might catch things at distance out in the open.

Edit - as an example at a bit of distance, here’s a shot I’ve posted before of a whitetail at 400yd exactly. Had to switch to clip-on NV to identify what sorta critter it was.
https://i.imgur.com/HUAIabeh.jpg
View Quote

Thats pretty impressive imho
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thats pretty impressive imho
View Quote

Yeah I thought so too, but it was fairly optimal conditions, looking down on a wide open dry reservoir with medium-tall grasses/shrubs on a very cold night (re: low batt warning on COTI). If ambient temps were a decent amount higher, the critter would have probably blended in with the background and I would have seen noise in the grass rather than the stark contrast of the hot body. Just a decent example that the low resolution doesn't eliminate the possibility of still registering heat signatures quite a ways out.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah I thought so too, but it was fairly optimal conditions, looking down on a wide open dry reservoir with medium-tall grasses/shrubs on a very cold night (re: low batt warning on COTI). If ambient temps were a decent amount higher, the critter would have probably blended in with the background and I would have seen noise in the grass rather than the stark contrast of the hot body. Just a decent example that the low resolution doesn't eliminate the possibility of still registering heat signatures quite a ways out.
View Quote

Having never messed with thermal thats one thing I was kinda curious about with ambient temps being higher and such

I guess since Ill only be using it at night the temps probably wont be higher than 75-80 on a summer night.

Im really curious if itll help pop out creatures of the night that I may have missed without it
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#8]
bump for more footage

can the coti pick up real small signatures in ideal conditions? cigar, cigarette cherries, propane solo camp stoves etc
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 12:28:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I got the menu figured out except how to get the mode and battery level indication off from the display. I misplaced my user manual. I will find the manual eventually but would appreciate if anyone knows how to do that. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:18:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That old video I posted that I made around 2011 or so that I posted a page back you can see every individual pee drop as well as a couple minutes old dog foot prints.
View Quote

Thats too cool
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thats too cool
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That old video I posted that I made around 2011 or so that I posted a page back you can see every individual pee drop as well as a couple minutes old dog foot prints.

Thats too cool

Link Posted: 8/25/2020 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thats too cool
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats too cool
Actually its warm, thats why it shows up in the COTI.

Link Posted: 8/25/2020 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Actually its warm, thats why it shows up in the COTI.

View Quote

Lol I see what you did there
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#15]
These appear in-stock again for those still looking to get them; fwiw
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
These appear in-stock again for those still looking to get them; fwiw
View Quote

Hopefully this is good news with those with orders in through JRH

My wedding is in ~2 weeks and this would be fantastic to show up before the craziness hits more than it already has
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Cant wait. Are we talking days or weeks longer on preorders?
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Now that more COTIs are loose, anyone got a line on more of the remote battery packs?
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

People with actual pre-orders will be getting emails later today. Absolute pandemonium today, stay tuned will email asap......
View Quote

I feel like a kid at christmas again
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#22]
just got jrh email. make sure you reply and confirm.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Hopefully this is good news with those with orders in through JRH

My wedding is in ~2 weeks and this would be fantastic to show up before the craziness hits more than it already has
View Quote
I might be selling mine, if you're in a hurry.
PM me if interested.
@chase45
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
PM me if interested.
@chase45
View Quote

Ive waited this long I can wait another week

I really appreciate that offer however
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
PM me if interested.
@chase45
View Quote

Just not in love with it?
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Just not in love with it?
View Quote
It's an amazing piece of kit, just not fitting the role I purchased it to fill.
I'm going to start saving for a SkeetIR.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's an amazing piece of kit, just not fitting the role I purchased it to fill.
I'm going to start saving for a SkeetIR.
View Quote

Ahh, I see.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Euro optic got a restock on these, I already placed my order.  They do paypal credit for those who need it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Euro optic got a restock on these, I already placed my order.  They do paypal credit for those who need it.
View Quote

They have in stock no backorder
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Placed my order on Euro Optics on Friday at 1 PM EST. I got a shipping notification 2 hours later and the COTI is going to be delivered on Monday. Talk about lightning fast service!
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Will these work with dual 14's in the TNVC NPBM? With Euro optic having them back in stock, I'm really considering trying to snag one. I'm currently running the TNVC bridge though and don't know if this would work with the alignment rings on the bridge.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Anybody know the cheapest place for the stand alone eye piece or want to sell me theirs? I know it’s not ideal at all but I really like the idea of being able to use it as a really small thermal scanner when the mood strikes me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Just got off the phone with Robert @ JRH. I got my order in and he even took the time answer a few questions. Great customer service!
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yes they will work. Thank you.
View Quote

CRAP! I'm waiting on WP 14's x2 from you guys now. I was hoping somebody would say no cause I didn't need to make another big purchase. The euro optic price is almost to good to pass up though. What to do? What to do?
Thanks for the response.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone know of a small hard case that would fit dual tubes with a coti, something that would fit in a backpack.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:21:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Anyone in the know can confirm or help me out?

Wanting to run RNVG and COTI off the same battery pack. Would the AB pack or similar pack work with the NVI cable? https://nvincorporated.com/product/coti-31-5032-remote-battery-cable/
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#44]
JRH preorder scheduled to arrive tomorrow... last bit of waiting is the worst. one nice thing with the battery pack taking AA batteries is commonality with a PVS-14.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
JRH preorder scheduled to arrive tomorrow... last bit of waiting is the worst. one nice thing with the battery pack taking AA batteries is commonality with a PVS-14.
View Quote

My thoughts exactly on the pack especially if they really suck them down like others have mentioned. AAs whatever. But CR123s make it hurt a little more

Cant wait for mine
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Got my COTI in from euro optic today.  They called Monday to confirm the order, had it in the mail later that day.  

This thing is awesome.  There is a very slight delay for it to do the thermal outline when passing over an object but its a real winner is total blackout conditions.  I'll play with it tonight in the woods and see what sort of critters I've been missing.  

Its nothing like the clarity you get from a thermal sight, and the outline is pretty messy.  It would let you know something is there, but it does kinda get in the way of determining what that something is.  I suppose it'll let me know where I need to look more closely, but I can easily flip it off and hit the area with IR light.  

Another slight con is getting it to fit with the dual dovetail adapter along with my wilcox objective cover.  I was pretty limited in the positioning around the 14's objective, but I was able to fit it so I get most of my focus adjustment.  The wilcox lens cover necessitated backing the objective clamp off about 20% so get it to fit on.  I'll dummy cord the COTI and see how it works in the field, but I really don't want to give up a lens cover to run the COTI.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#48]

Got my tracking today
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Make sure it’s not set to delay, to be honest, I forget exactly what the “factory default” settings are when delivered, but IIRC it’s set with the delay on. (You can also adjust duration of delay).

The “idea” is that the delay allows you to assess the NV-only view and take in details before presenting the thermal signature to “highlight” heat signatures.

This is not the worst thing for static observation or scanning open terrain, but it’s counterproductive to the kind of fast-moving, complex terrain environments that fusion really shines in.

I have always disabled it, and while all thermals will have a minute lag, I never personally found it problematic with the COTI when the delay was turned off. With it on, it can get pretty disorienting IMHO.

~Augee
View Quote

Any idea where in the menu you can find the delay option? I don't remember seeing that when going thru the user manual.
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top