BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
not specific to this thread, as there have been other low post count or new account holders asking for borderline things on this board -

I think that there are many people here in the night vision community that want to share knowledge and other information out to others that are perceived to have an interest in 'restricted' or otherwise not civilian obtainable items.

however, I want to remind everyone that not everyone that may be asking for this information may have a 'legitimate' reason for asking for, or using this information.

there have been people in the past that have asked for things to skate itar, possibly get information on how to do currently illegal  activities, etc. while some might have innocent reasons for asking for this information, there have been some seeking to catch the forum in promoting illegal activities, possibly do illegal transfers of technology, or distribute information that would cause problems in the wrong hands.

without turning this into GD, be careful about answering questions, as there are leftist and others that frequent this forum too.
View Quote
Maybe you should find another forum and go play Nanny mother elsewhere?

I suppose you are one of those guys who wants the NFA to stay in place to because"MACHINEGUNS UR BAD!" Better ban those high capacity magazines too while we're at it...In fact maybe just turn in all our guns right? You support those gun bans do ya?

Yeah, your elitist bullshit attitude rubs me right the fuck the wrong way.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 10:42:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

In context, an opponent equipped with OOB technology has a similar advantage over a Gen3 user, that a Gen3 user has over an opponent with no night vision equipment at all.

It's possible, in tactical situations that regularly occur, to gain a 100% assymetric advantage over a Gen3 ( or A Gen2 ) equipped opponent.

Or, if you wanted to look at it another way, The Gen3 equipment wouldn't be any more useful than having a flashlight.

But I have to stress that this statement is made in a specific context that occurs in the field. In other situations, it's a tactical aid that allows the user to avoid detection, or to enhance operations without giving their position away.

The easiest way I can describe it without specifics - Imagine if the US was the only country that had Thermal and Gen3 and everyone else had Gen3... It's not a perfect solution in every situation, but at times, the conflict would be entirely asymmetric.

David.
View Quote

Thats a pretty powerful force multiplier right there.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 11:24:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I suppose you are one of those guys who wants the NFA to stay in place to because"MACHINEGUNS UR BAD!" Better ban those high capacity magazines too while we're at it...In fact maybe just turn in all our guns right? You support those gun bans do ya?

View Quote
not elitist at all, just reminding people that there are people that might come to this forum, that do not have good intentions with their questions or with their comments.

and you should leave your gd attitude in gd.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Curious which one of your employees you or Alex are former DTNVG employee?  Just trying to keep it straight.
View Quote
Are you talking about Actinblack SARL or Actinwhite SARL? Two very different companies
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 11:50:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:13:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

not elitist at all, just reminding people that there are people that might come to this forum, that do not have good intentions with their questions or with their comments.

View Quote
Not a gd attitude at all, if you want to act like an elitist prick prepared to be called on it.

EDIT: Hey the good news is you are the first person to make my ignore list, so shouldnt be a problem going forward. You can play policeman all you want and I wont see it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:38:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sorry, meant to say... ActinBlack.
View Quote
Assuming that you're referring to the trademark and according to the details at the bottom of this link (actinblack.lu/about-us/) meaning ACTinWhite Sarl, the answer would be that KLEE does not have any founders, associates or employees who work or have worked for said company
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You guys need to watch spectral on Netflix. Right inline with this thread lol

out of band is cool and all but what about different states of matter like Bose-Einstein condensate? Lol

beyond that I just want class 3b stuff to be cash and carry
View Quote
So I watched the trailer and it looked cool, then it looked stupid, then I read the Wikipedia entry on it, and Bose-Einstein-Condensate? Freezing people? Give me a break... There's things such as mass and energy to consider, and even the interaction with air would destroy the state instantly through raised temperature, I mean, these things would be as fragile as some of the egos on this forum.

And then when I read about what they are, and I was thinking, Seriously? So they hook them up they way they do and then choose such a stupid material to make them from, and how in the heck are these things supposed to exist? Oh, they've been 3D printed. Of course. Yeah, I'll just whip a few out of my Tiertime while I wait... Sorry for the minor spoiler there, but as cool as the video looks, it really mangles physics very quickly. Why don't they just say they are made of unobtanium.

I'm ranting aren't I. Shows that mangle physics are my pet peeve.

David.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So I watched the trailer and it looked cool, then it looked stupid, then I read the Wikipedia entry on it, and Bose-Einstein-Condensate? Freezing people? Give me a break... There's things such as mass and energy to consider, and even the interaction with air would destroy the state instantly through raised temperature, I mean, these things would be as fragile as some of the egos on this forum.

And then when I read about what they are, and I was thinking, Seriously? So they hook them up they way they do and then choose such a stupid material to make them from, and how in the heck are these things supposed to exist? Oh, they've been 3D printed. Of course. Yeah, I'll just whip a few out of my Tiertime while I wait... Sorry for the minor spoiler there, but as cool as the video looks, it really mangles physics very quickly. Why don't they just say they are made of unobtanium.

David.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys need to watch spectral on Netflix. Right inline with this thread lol

out of band is cool and all but what about different states of matter like Bose-Einstein condensate? Lol

beyond that I just want class 3b stuff to be cash and carry

David.
I enjoyed it. Watched it the first day it was up.

But yeah with that outlook you will not. Lol
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

David.
View Quote
You must be a hoot at the cinema
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 12:17:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You must be a hoot at the cinema
View Quote
Good stories are still good stories... But mangled physics just breaks the suspension of disbelief for me... If it's bad enough, I can't enjoy the movie at all. If it's really bad, I can't even watch it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 7:18:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Can 31a see oob?
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I am so lost with all this out of band discussion. I have no clue to what it even is. Can someone explain please so I can learn a little to what you guys are talking about?
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That future is coming sooner than you think.

Sionyx is already gen 2 competitive and they're saying that they can double the performance with a different lens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Homebrew route is easiest. Before having an OOB laser or illuminator, having something that sees the OOB source is the first step. Th Sionyx camera is particularly good at it.
It seems like digital will take over one day in the likely somewhat distant future, so I suppose seeing out of band is another pro for digital as well. Will be awesome to see what the future holds.
That future is coming sooner than you think.

Sionyx is already gen 2 competitive and they're saying that they can double the performance with a different lens.
My trigger finger is itching for this.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not a gd attitude at all, if you want to act like an elitist prick prepared to be called on it.

EDIT: Hey the good news is you are the first person to make my ignore list, so shouldnt be a problem going forward. You can play policeman all you want and I wont see it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/14/2019 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can 31a see oob?
View Quote
With the right tubes installed yes.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am so lost with all this out of band discussion. I have no clue to what it even is. Can someone explain please so I can learn a little to what you guys are talking about?
View Quote
Typical gen3 tubes are sensitive and can form an image with ir up to a certain wavelength, usually dropping off greatly around 900nm.

Above this wavelength, they are not sensitive to ir, and won't be able to form an image. A tube that is sensitive to ir at, say 1064nm, can form an image when an illuminator is used, or see a targeting laser at this wavelength.

Therefore, if someone has a usual gen3 tube, they won't be able to tell they are being illuminated or targeted by someone using an oob tube , light and laser.

Clearly, this could give a great advantage to people who have this technology, which is why care should be used in discussing this........

But some people think it is wrong to keep some information guarded, and think it should be freely and openly discussed and distributed.

Yes, the information is already out there, if you are smart enough to look for, and understand it. It's a balance between getting information out and making it easy for bad guys from getting information and possibly using it against those that are considered good guys.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Take visible light for example. Imagine if you could choose a color, but only 1 color, to see. Lets say you choose green. You'll see all the green lasers being pointed at you and all the green illuminators but you wont see the yellow orange or red. The guy who can see 2 colors....Lets say green AND red....Well, he can see your active tools (lights/lasers) AND his active tools (Lights/lasers) but you cant see his active tools.

Now simply extend those wavelengths on out.....The Gen 3 stuff that goes from 800-1000 is pretty cool right? But the guy whos toys see from 800-1200 gets to see all your active tools and gets to use his own active tools that are in a band you cant see.....

Of course this is all very super secret knowledge and the fact you've even posted in this thread makes you an enemy of the State so you should expect your door to be kicked in at any moment because words are bad and knowledge is secrets and your re-education is for your own safety.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 11:09:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

With the right tubes installed yes.
View Quote
No idea... whatever is milspec? No clue. L3 filmless.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 11:21:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Typical gen3 tubes are sensitive and can form an image with ir up to a certain wavelength, usually dropping off greatly around 900nm.

Above this wavelength, they are not sensitive to ir, and won't be able to form an image. A tube that is sensitive to ir at, say 1064nm, can form an image when an illuminator is used, or see a targeting laser at this wavelength.

Therefore, if someone has a usual gen3 tube, they won't be able to tell they are being illuminated or targeted by someone using an oob tube , light and laser.

Clearly, this could give a great advantage to people who have this technology, which is why care should be used in discussing this........

But some people think it is elitist to keep some information guarded, and think it should be freely and openly discussed and distributed.

Yes, the information is already out there, if you are smart enough to look for, and understand it. It's a balance between getting information out and making it easy for bad guys from getting information and possibly using it against those that are considered good guys.
View Quote
Ah.....makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 11:38:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
He’s right. This thread has already spread information to hostiles. I wish I were kidding.

ETA. You have a simplistic understanding of the issues present as do many staunch defenders of information freedom.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

He's right. This thread has already spread information to hostiles. I wish I were kidding.

ETA. You have a simplistic understanding of the issues present as do many staunch defenders of information freedom.
View Quote
Please show me where classified information has been leaked in this thread. Or anywhere in this sub section.

Trust me, the top minds in foreign militarys are not getting the hot breaking R&D info from AR15.com tech sections. If you believe that....Well, that point about simplistic would apply pretty well.

Which leads me full circle. I dont support anyone who supports gun bans or working against our interests. We are our own worst enemy and this very thread simply supports that. If someone has access to classified information regarding OOB optics and capabilities I would trust they are smart enough not to some spill it all out on a public forum, wouldnt you?
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Please show me where classified information has been leaked in this thread. Or anywhere in this sub section.

Trust me, the top minds in foreign militarys are not getting the hot breaking R&D info from AR15.com tech sections. If you believe that....Well, that point about simplistic would apply pretty well.

Which leads me full circle. I dont support anyone who supports gun bans or working against our interests. We are our own worst enemy and this very thread simply supports that. If someone has access to classified information regarding OOB optics and capabilities I would trust they are smart enough not to some spill it all out on a public forum, wouldnt you?
View Quote
I wouldn’t trust people people to know how their bit of info fits into that larger picture. Caution is warranted.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I bet people had same fears over the 850nm stuff when it was first being made available commercially. Now it’s a hot item and TNVC fought a good fight to have it available
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I bet people had same fears over the 850nm stuff when it was first being made available commercially. Now it's a hot item and TNVC fought a good fight to have it available
View Quote
I'm very thankful for the work TNVC has done on that front. But I damn sure will not sit back while gun grabbers try to suppress our rights or our hobbies in a tech forum. Take that shit to DU or campaign around with David Hogg, but dont bring it to a tech forum.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I wouldn't trust people people to know how their bit of info fits into that larger picture. Caution is warranted.
View Quote
I spent a number of years in Cali and now live in Washington. I'm well experienced in knowing what that position is.
"Common sense gun control"
"Shouldnt be in civilians hands"
You dont need that"
"Reasonable restrictions"

I know exactly where some people are coming from. They are more than welcome to dance around the internet in a Nazi uniform pushing all those "good" reasons to ban guns, equipment and information but dont think it in any way makes them a friend of the shooting community.

Now please, show me where classified information has been leaked in this thread or any post in the NV sub section? Can we talk about it or does "reasonable restrictions"..."You dont need that"...apply?

EDIT:

And on that note I wont respond further. I think we all have made our positions clear and I dont want to drag an otherwise interesting thread off topic any more! (Although you are more than welcome to respond to what I've said)
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#27]
The cautioning post was warranted. I won’t turn this into GD.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I dont really see how tunable emission systems would be terribly advantageous. Doenst "oob" equipment still see into the "in band" spectrum?...ie....If you use band 1 and I use band 2, why would I want to tune my emission equipment down to band 1? Why not simply stay at band 2 all the time? Perhaps if you needed compatibility with legacy equipment or less equipped militarys maybe but it seems the push will be to just keep moving higher up the bands wouldnt it?

It feels like the push would simply be to extend visibility into higher and higher bands without the need to have "backwards compatibility".
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I dont really see how tunable emission systems would be terribly advantageous. Doenst "oob" equipment still see into the "in band" spectrum?...ie....If you use band 1 and I use band 2, why would I want to tune my emission equipment down to band 1? Why not simply stay at band 2 all the time? Perhaps if you needed compatibility with legacy equipment or less equipped militarys maybe but it seems the push will be to just keep moving higher up the bands wouldnt it?

It feels like the push would simply be to extend visibility into higher and higher bands without the need to have "backwards compatibility".
View Quote
Seems like a cheaper route for seeing longer wavelengths without secret items, could be to make a clip on to regular NV which is just a digital camera that can see into longer wavelengths, perhaps with a cut filter for anything below 1000nm, and make an overlay with it like the COTI does for thermal
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Seems like a cheaper route for seeing longer wavelengths without secret items, could be to make a clip on to regular NV which is just a digital camera that can see into longer wavelengths, perhaps with a cut filter for anything below 1000nm, and make an overlay with it like the COTI does for thermal
View Quote
But then you limit your ability to see adversaries using lower wavelengths. I imagine the goal would be to see everything, be seen by only your friends.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 11:41:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
These do exist and were developed. I don't know if they were ever used though.

However, it also highlights the problems with some OOB development which assumes a single dimension of detection being "Wavelength".

OOB systems hide in at least two dimensions. A camera won't detect them all that well even if it picks up the same band.

David
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
These do exist and were developed. I don't know if they were ever used though.

However, it also highlights the problems with some OOB development which assumes a single dimension of detection being "Wavelength".

OOB systems hide in at least two dimensions. A camera won't detect them all that well even if it picks up the same band.

David
View Quote
That makes sense. There is more to optical multiplexing in networking than just wavelength as well. With CP-QPSK for instance, long haul transponders can fit two carriers on the same infrared wavelength, interesting to read about and maybe some of the same concepts at play, Cisco for instance will send light at two different polarizations, put it on the fiber, then break it back out at the remote end
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 8:34:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Know what? I don't think these threads will ever be satisfactory for me so I'll test it myself.

I have Echo's coming in. I should have a 980nm and a 1064nm laser built up soon but just waiting to confirm. Need to make sure neither of them will blow up my eyes or my tubes.

Quoted:
So I watched the trailer and it looked cool, then it looked stupid, then I read the Wikipedia entry on it, and Bose-Einstein-Condensate? Freezing people? Give me a break...
View Quote
It's not even the worst part of the movie. You can deal with bad science just fine for a silly action movie. The movie went from "we have one spooky ghost" wirth a couple of restrictions on what it can do, to a full on Ghostbuster shoot em up with tons of ghosts and laser blasters.

The movie started with a really cool premise when you are watching it and by the end it was just bad.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 7:57:26 AM EDT
[#35]
We've done this thread before, posted links to where you can purchase off the shelf LED's above 1000nm. The thing is, when you start getting above 1000nm stuff starts acting really wonky. Fabrics will reflect more light (https://image.slidesharecdn.com/militarycamouflagecolours-130418073351-phpapp01/95/military-camouflage-colours-35-638.jpg?cb=1366270496). Photonis really negated US NVG Doctrine. Since Photonis isn't governed by ITAR, lol, anyone can purchase them and enjoy painting lasers on Gen 3 that can't be seen by Gen 3 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nd:YAG_laser) which we have been discussing here for over a few years.

So many Chinese LED companies will just send you a complete laser or flashlight in whatever wavelength you want if you hit them up on that Chinese messenger service. Or buy in the USA:
https://www.digikey.com/products/en/optoelectronics/infrared-uv-visible-emitters/94?k=1050nm

I'll just start referencing my claims from now on to make sure no one can just claim something to be something it isn't. If you have questions feel free to ask, the age of it's classified or ITAR are pretty much dead considering Hamamatsu publishes whatever it feels like and ITAR can't stop them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 3:40:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Recently tested Photonis ECHO WP tubes and Harris Gen3 GP tubes with a 985nm light. Well BOTH the Photonis and Harris tubes were able to view the output from the light. I perceived a little bit more light via the Photonis tubes, but I can't discount that being down to the difference between WP and GP or other factors.

Maybe it shouldn't be that surprising, as the spectral range for this particular 985nm light starts around 950nm (it peaks somewhere around 970-985nm and falls off at 1050nm) and patents for Gen3 tubes going as far back as 1998 indicate sensitivity at 980nm (L3 in particular for a patent I pulled up).

Now I can see why the peak wavelengths of OOB LAMs like the MAWL CLAD are 1064nm.

Incidentally, the Sionyx Aurora can also detect the output from the 985nm light.

Looking forward to testing with 1050nm and 1064nm lights in the near future.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Recently tested Photonis ECHO WP tubes and Harris Gen3 GP tubes with a 985nm light. Well BOTH the Photonis and Harris tubes were able to view the output from the light. I perceived a little bit more light via the Photonis tubes, but I can't discount that being down to the difference between WP and GP or other factors.

Maybe it shouldn't be that surprising, as the spectral range for this particular 985nm light starts around 950nm (it peaks somewhere around 970-985nm and falls off at 1050nm) and patents for Gen3 tubes going as far back as 1998 indicate sensitivity at 980nm (L3 in particular for a patent I pulled up).

Now I can see why the peak wavelengths of OOB LAMs like the MAWL CLAD are 1064nm.

Incidentally, the Sionyx Aurora can also detect the output from the 985nm light.

View Quote
Did you take any photos to show the difference between the three? You say you were able to see the output of the light in all three. Can you be more detailed in how much you were able to see? On par with the pvs14 illuminator? Or more like a good supplemental illuminator? Or could you just barely see the output?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Above 950nm, for out of band purposes, a narrow band is critical, so you need a laser and it needs to lase. You can't operate it in LED mode. LEDs have far too much spread.

Looking forward to hearing your results also -

David.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#40]
What are, if any, risks to a non-oob gen 3 tube if someone operating in those higher bands were to light you up from the front where the oob laser/light was entering the tube?

Edit to add: Beside the fact that you're tactically fucked of course in that situation, lol
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What are, if any, risks to a non-oob gen 3 tube if someone operating in those higher bands were to light you up from the front where the oob laser/light was entering the tube?

Edit to add: Beside the fact that you're tactically fucked of course in that situation, lol
View Quote
That's a good question. Would think a LIF would be near useless in that scenario but not positive
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Mainly, would there be any observable changes in image you'd see before damage would occur, you wouldn't until it's too late tube is damaged, or if it wouldn't damage it because it can't "see" it.

Quoted:

That's a good question. Would think a LIF would be near useless in that scenario but not positive
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/20/2019 11:42:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 12:08:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well... It depends...

Lets say the quantum efficiency of your tube is like 1% at whatever frequency the bad laser pointed at you is at. You basically aren't gona see it in the tube, nor is it going to "burn" your tube because it can't amplify light at that frequency. Of course as you said, tactically you're fucked...
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 2:36:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just FYSA:

L3 UF WP, L3 Filmed P43, and Harris/ITT Pinnacle can all see 1064nm up close—at least with the marking device I have (which may admittedly have some “bleed” compared to a laser), but nowhere near the intensity or distance of the same manufacturer’s NIR (this is as specific as I’m going to go, so don’t ask) equivalent product, I’ll have to double check on the exact wavelength the IR is operating at, and both are designed to be detected in excess of three statute miles with the appropriate sensor systems.

i.e. visible if you’re standing right next to them, but not operationally useful.

Nothing from any of them at 1550nm.

~Augee
View Quote
Glad someone is doing actual testing though the tubes are picking up some residual pump laser energy (808nm most probably) and not the 1064nm beam itself. Leaking a few microwatts at 808nm isn't indicative of anything wrong when the pump source is 250mW at a minimum, probably way spicier if your toy is as fun as it sounds. At 1064nm, there's zero response even with a high power (>10mW) beam in a completely dark room with the spot a foot or two from the NV device if the beam is fully filtered, fully filtered to an extreme degree that isn't typically practical or necessary even in a very high end product.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 2:39:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
LIF would do its job and reflect the OOB source unless its significantly away from the notch of interest.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 2:42:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Along with more power in our studies as the frequency raises.
View Quote
Decreases ;)
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 2:46:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
To echo what David said, the source needs to be a laser or needs to have a longpass filter. A 1060nm LED is still visible with Gen 3 tubes because there's enough residual energy below ~950nm to still register. Shows up decently well looking head on but can't really light up a room whereas that same LED lights up the room when looking thru a Sionyx camera. Would probably start out with a 980nm or 1000nm longpass filter. In another thread, David had a good suggestion of using a GaAs window or lens as a suitable filter.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Glad someone is doing actual testing though the tubes are picking up some residual pump laser energy (808nm most probably) and not the 1064nm beam itself. Leaking a few microwatts at 808nm isn't indicative of anything wrong when the pump source is 250mW at a minimum, probably way spicier if your toy is as fun as it sounds. At 1064nm, there's zero response even with a high power (>10mW) beam in a completely dark room with the spot a foot or two from the NV device if the beam is fully filtered, fully filtered to an extreme degree that isn't typically practical or necessary even in a very high end product.
View Quote
A lot of lasers are native at ~1060nm. The 808nm is just a by-product of a very specific cheap way to get 1064nm radiation. But I assume (hope) most people doing experiments are using native lasers at 1064nm and not Nd:YAG

David.

edit: I should add that they tend to be very expensive... Several hundred even for the cheapest diodes.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top