Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/8/2020 7:25:49 PM EDT
Recently trying to get back into collecting Enfields again, mainly cause they are my favorite military surplus. In my younger years, I had upwards of 8 at once but due to life finally catching up with me (wife, mortgage, kid, unexpected house/medical bills) I had to slim them down to just one, a Savage Enfield that was actually a gift from Norm (forget his username) on the old website

Just earlier this week I had picked up a sporter 1916 BSA that would need a new foreend, handguards, forecast, and band to get it back to former glory. The bore is cleaning up but the muzzle swallows any bullet (PPU, Wolf, Pakistani, or Remington) I try. It isn’t counterbored either.

While doing some research, found out that RTI has some No1s WWI vintage that had been imported from Ethiopia. They were a bit out of my price range currently, but they did have the No4s that may miss a few pieces for $299

Lucked out and sold a rifle tonight to cover the majority of the cost minus $100. Got to call them tomorrow to get my FFL paperwork sent over.

Anyone else take them up on the good deal? I wish I could afford one of the No1s and the M1 carbines they have listsd
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Ordered a WW1 no 1 mk 3 and two fixer upper No 4 mk 1s last weekend. They had the fixer uppers marked down to $250, it has since gone back up.

Nothing has shipped yet.

Edit: looks like they are $250 again
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By governmentman:
Ordered a WW1 no 1 mk 3 and two fixer upper No 4 mk 1s last weekend. They had the fixer uppers marked down to $250, it has since gone back up.

Nothing has shipped yet.

Edit: looks like they are $250 again
View Quote

The hell! I just ordered last night

I sent them an email to see if they would at least give me a better looking one since I paid a premium
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Checked this morning on through my account.

I had placed the order for the two no 4's last weekend, and called in Monday to add a no 1 to it. Looks like they are being done as separate orders and a shipping number is posted for the no 1. Hopefully the no 4s are right behind them. Odd that the newer order is fulfilled first.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By jnk556:
How do you guys submit the FFL to RTI?  I'm bored and might buy one of the $249 Carcano carbines in 7.35 since I have everything to reload 7.35.

Do they send you a email after you buy??  I know alot of places give you the option to upload, but RTI seems to be a bit behind the times.  Ive bought from them, but years ago....
View Quote

I just replied to the order confirmation email with it attached. They never confirmed, but my order shipped a few days later without issue.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#6]
How do you guys submit the FFL to RTI?  I'm bored and might buy one of the $249 Carcano carbines in 7.35 since I have everything to reload 7.35.

Do they send you a email after you buy??  I know alot of places give you the option to upload, but RTI seems to be a bit behind the times.  Ive bought from them, but years ago....
View Quote

I sent an email with my ffl attached to email I received after placing my order. Shipped a couple days later
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

@jnk556

Like others have mentioned, once I got my confirmation email I just sent them a separate email to the email listed at the bottom of that one and got a response back later that day confirming they received my FFL.

Wondering if I’ll hear back from them regarding giving me a better looking one since they dropped the price the day after I ordered. If they don’t, it’s business and I understand but dang. I’d still buy again regardless. I’m looking forward to getting mine
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Just checked my status, order still processing. Ordered Thursday night, I’m in no hurry since I can’t pick it up until week after next
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Interested in those myself.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By crazysarge16:
Just checked my status, order still processing. Ordered Thursday night, I’m in no hurry since I can’t pick it up until week after next
View Quote

let me know if you get a shipped notice, my no 4's order is at 9 days and is still processing
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I ordered late Thursday night, still nothing so far. They haven’t even responded back to my email asking bout giving me a nicer one since they dropped the price $50
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I ordered late Thursday night, still nothing so far. They haven’t even responded back to my email asking bout giving me a nicer one since they dropped the price $50
View Quote

I called them, they goofed and marked it as needing the FFL.

Still pending but hopefully should go out soon.

No 1 mk 3 order was finally picked up and is in transit

Was on hold for a while when I called. They seemed very busy
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#13]

I called them, they goofed and marked it as needing the FFL.

Still pending but hopefully should go out soon.

No 1 mk 3 order was finally picked up and is in transit

Was on hold for a while when I called. They seemed very busy
View Quote

Mine shows shipped, provided tracking number, isn’t showing in UPS system yet though but it just shipped yesterday according to RTI.

No response ref my email concerning price drop day after I ordered. Ohh well, I tried
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#14]
The no4 mk 1s order is now in shipped status but not yet picked up.

Serial numbers given are PF13395XX AND PF215XX, so with a quick google search it sounds like I have two ROF fazakerley made guns on the way. very curious to see the dates on these, suspecting the one with the unusual high serial number is post war production

edit: the more I read, the more I am not sure what is coming. I'm not sure a no4 mk1 should have those serial numbers. Could these be no4 mk 1/2s that were updated at Fazakerley after the war? Did they renumber them in that process?

edit2: finding more on the serial numbers, sounds like both are post war serial numbers based on just the PF. The first serial is still confusing though, I can't find any reference to ones having a seven digit numeric portion, even if RTI fat fingered an extra digit in there, it would be a mk 2. The second serial would be a very late production mk 1 (1948 or 1949ish) and not a WW2 rifle. If that is the case I'm going to be rather annoyed.

edit3: emailed RTI
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#15]
@crazysarge16

if your hasn't shipped yet, check your serial number. They are a mix of wartime and postwar rifles.

Talked to RTI about the post war serial numbers.

At first the claimed it didn't say WW2 on the grade C listing. I told them it did when I ordered and I can forward them the confirmation as proof.

She then backpeddled and said it was an error and they would be correcting it.

They wanted to charge me an additional $50 hand pick fee per rifle for WW2. I said no, I ordered a WW2 rifle and I want you to honor it.

They wouldn't. Order cancelled and bridge burned.

This is becoming a pattern.

My M1 carbine from them had a 1948 refurb stamp on it, yet their story was that those rifles went to Ethiopia in 1945. Digging around, other had called them out on it too and were blown off.

I'll be making some separate posts on this, but the short version is don't do business with Royal Tiger Imports.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#16]
How much of a risk is dealing with RTI?  Reviews look bad.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Trash_Panda:
How much of a risk is dealing with RTI?  Reviews look bad.
View Quote

There are a bunch of different threads on RTI. Do a search and read for hours
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Trash_Panda:
How much of a risk is dealing with RTI?  Reviews look bad.
View Quote

I tried buying four rifles from them in the past two months.

M1 carbine I was good with, though it was refurb marked which contradicts the story they gave.

SMLE enfield - as advertised, though at the very rough end of the indicated condition. Was overly optimistic after the carbine, slight regret in buying this.

And the two no 4 mk 1 enfields, which I explained a few posts up.

So only one in four was as advertised, and only one in four that I am happy with.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#19]

I tried buying four rifles from them in the past two months.

M1 carbine I was good with, though it was refurb marked which contradicts the story they gave.

SMLE enfield - as advertised, though at the very rough end of the indicated condition. Was overly optimistic after the carbine, slight regret in buying this.

And the two no 4 mk 1 enfields, which I explained a few posts up.

So only one in four was as advertised, and only one in four that I am happy with.
View Quote

@governmentman

I looked up my serial number on my invoice
G26065A
Which appears to be a ROF WWII era serial number, if I’m wrong someone please correct me.

Mine should be arriving tomorrow, hopefully get by the store to pick it up on Saturday.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#20]

@governmentman

I looked up my serial number on my invoice
G26065A
Which appears to be a ROF WWII era serial number, if I’m wrong someone please correct me.

Mine should be arriving tomorrow, hopefully get by the store to pick it up on Saturday.
View Quote

Looks like you might get what you ordered then. good luck!
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Well I went by the store today to pick up my rifle. Brought it out the back, started looking it over. Had a big red tag on it that states “bolt broke , trigger won’t reset.” WTF...but I start looking it over and the bore looks decent and overall looks good just very dirty. I started playing with the bolt and got it to cock in the store so I figured I’d give it a go.

Took it home and started taking it apart with the help of my two year old son. Took a minute to get it all apart cause it had so much dried up cosmoline and dirt/grime in it. Finally got it taken apart, and here is what I’ve found.

The bore is going to be a hot minute to get cleaned up, but looks like still had plenty of life left. Exterior of the barrel has surface rust on it but I don’t think I’ll have any pitting but cleaning will tell.

The magazine wouldn’t come out without continually pushing down on the mag release and pulling. Once I got the fore end off, I could see why the mag wouldn’t come out. There was a piece of leather and a broken piece of metal jamming everything up.

Think I’m going to need a new magazine release and maybe trigger sear. Just messing around with it, I could get it to cock and get the trigger to fire, just not reset when cocking the bolt again.

There were pieces of leather underneath the metal bands.

Overall, the wood is in good condition. There is a slight crack in buttstock, but doesn’t appear to be major.

I’m kind peeved I didn’t get this for $250 plus shipping and transfer, but overall I can’t complain too much. I’m happy with it, gives me something to keep busy with in my down time and my son showed interest. Plus I think it’s kind of cool I know a little bit about where this one came from

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#24]
What the hell are those nuggets you dug out of the action?
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Useafortyfive:
What the hell are those nuggets you dug out of the action?
View Quote

Almost leather like substances, with hardened cosmoline.

It’s totally filthy
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:49:06 PM EDT
[#26]
That metal piece in your palm is the sear spring. It applies pressure for the sear and the mag catch. If it is intact ( looks broke ) try re-installing it.

Sear spring is cheap easy fix and should get the rifle working.

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#27]
@crazysarg­e16 Were any of the numbers matching?  And would you buy one again?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SirM1Garand:
@crazysarg­e16 Were any of the numbers matching?  And would you buy one again?
View Quote

@SirM1Garand

Bolt matches the receiver, magazine had numbers but they are very faded as I haven’t been able to see if they match yet.

For the price I paid, $299 and then after shipping made it $335. Then $25 for transfer. Once I order the trigger sear, if that fixed the issue I’ll be in it $375. I’m okay with that

It’s very dirty, but it’s honest work and brings me back to my C&R roots back in the mid 2000s.

For the $249.95 plus shipping, I’d probably jump on it again. But others might not be as lucky

As others have mentioned, they aren’t getting WWII era guns.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:52:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Your rifle was made in 1942 and FTR'd in 1948
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Thank you.  I took the plunge, we will see what I get.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By tangeant:
Your rifle was made in 1942 and FTR'd in 1948
View Quote

@tangeant

Where did you find the year of manufacture? I’ve been looking online and can’t find it

I’ve started scrubbing the bore, good gracious the first few patches are coming out filthy

I’ve still got to get the buttstock off, but it has some clothe stuffed down in there that I’ve yet to get out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By NoMoAMMO:
I like yours better than mine
https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?1145029-Enfield-No4-Mk1-C-Grade-at-an-unbelievable-299-99

<----texengland
View Quote

@NoMoAMMO

That isn’t bad as well, I’d been happy with it. I’m glad with what I’ve got, but saw they have changed their description online and you aren’t guaranteed WWII era made guns anymore.

How long did it take you to clean yours up? I’m slowly working on mine, need to get my work bench cleaned off so I can devote more time to it. But that includes putting back together a sporterized 1916 BSA No1 MK III (I’ll restore it one day, though trying to do on the cheap cause bore it toast) and a Chinese T53 that has been disassembled going on close to three years. Granted that was one of the $100 rifles from Omega back before he passed away. It was even filthier than this Enfield, but I’ve had to do a lot of stock repairs on it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Thank you.  I took the plunge, we will see what I get.
View Quote

@SirM1Garand

Post some pictures once you get it, did you snag one for $250 plus shipping? Have you got shipping confirmation yet to be able to look up your serial number to see if your getting a WWII era rifle?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#35]
That metal piece in your palm is the sear spring. It applies pressure for the sear and the mag catch. If it is intact ( looks broke ) try re-installing it.

Sear spring is cheap easy fix and should get the rifle working.

https://i.imgur.com/FAF3a8bl.jpg
View Quote

@tamgeant

Thanks for the heads up, I’m hopefully ordering one and some other stuff I need next pay check
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#36]

@NoMoAMMO

That isn’t bad as well, I’d been happy with it. I’m glad with what I’ve got, but saw they have changed their description online and you aren’t guaranteed WWII era made guns anymore.

How long did it take you to clean yours up? I’m slowly working on mine, need to get my work bench cleaned off so I can devote more time to it. But that includes putting back together a sporterized 1916 BSA No1 MK III (I’ll restore it one day, though trying to do on the cheap cause bore it toast) and a Chinese T53 that has been disassembled going on close to three years. Granted that was one of the $100 rifles from Omega back before he passed away. It was even filthier than this Enfield, but I’ve had to do a lot of stock repairs on it.
View Quote

A couple hours
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#37]

@tamgeant

Thanks for the heads up, I’m hopefully ordering one and some other stuff I need next pay check
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@tamgeant

Thanks for the heads up, I’m hopefully ordering one and some other stuff I need next pay check

I'd suggest reading my issues with them over these, as well as the feedback from others about RTI in this thread

I also posted in another thread that the No1 mk3 I received from them was really in poor shape.

The no 1 mk 3 I received on a separate order is in sad shape and not worth the $500 I paid. mismatched, magazine dented bad enough to interfere with the follower, front sling swivel broken off, bore really ugly (but I'll hold off on final judgement that after I shoot it), broken firing pin spring. This wasn't one of the grade C's, this was supposedly a good rifle. And this shipped before the issue with the no 4's, so it couldn't be that they gave me a bad one out of spite for that.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#38]

@tangeant

Where did you find the year of manufacture? I’ve been looking online and can’t find it

I’ve started scrubbing the bore, good gracious the first few patches are coming out filthy 

I’ve still got to get the buttstock off, but it has some clothe stuffed down in there that I’ve yet to get out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Your rifle was made in 1942 and FTR'd in 1948

@tangeant

Where did you find the year of manufacture? I’ve been looking online and can’t find it

I’ve started scrubbing the bore, good gracious the first few patches are coming out filthy 

I’ve still got to get the buttstock off, but it has some clothe stuffed down in there that I’ve yet to get out.

North Capes " British Enfield Rifles"  book has chart. You can see the top of the 4 and 2 on your rifle below ROF  it is just poorly stamped .Fazakerley changed markings after 42 to all Engraved/Electro Pencil.

They put a leather washer in butt to cushion the cleaning kit oil bottle from the metal stock bolt. You have to get leather washer and whatever else has been crammed in there in the last 78 yrs out to get access to bolt and remove stock.  Piece of hooked coat hanger is a good start. You will need a LARGE & long screwdriver preferably with a square shank on so you can get extra torque with a wrench.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#39]
No serial number yet.  $250 plus shipping to me.  I asked for a wartime production with matching numbers, we will see if they can honor that.  They honored my request on a Kar98k.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#40]

I'd suggest reading my issues with them over these, as well as the feedback from others about RTI in this thread

I also posted in another thread that the No1 mk3 I received from them was really in poor shape.
View Quote

@governmentman
I don’t think I’ll buy anything again from RTI, I rolled the dice and came out the winner. I’m taking my winnings and running.

For my small parts, I normally buy off eBay unless I find a vendor that has a lot of stuff I need with reasonable shipping
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#41]
No serial number yet.  $250 plus shipping to me.  I asked for a wartime production with matching numbers, we will see if they can honor that.  They honored my request on a Kar98k.
View Quote

@SirM1Garand
If you get one like I did, might not be a bad deal. After reading other reviews online, I don’t think I’d roll the dice again.

Heck, I’ve never even got a response from them regarding the price dropping literally the next day after I bought mine. Not the end of the world, but $50 buys ammunition and would have covered my small parts I needed.

Still need to buy a sling for mine
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By NoMoAMMO:

A couple hours
View Quote

@NoMoAMMO

Wow, you’ve got more dedication than me. After I broke mine down and started wiping it off, I stopped after I filled my trash can with debris and other crap off my work bench.

I did go and start scrubbing the bore again this evening. It’s starting to show progress, but holy crap it’s like sludge coming out
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#43]

North Capes " British Enfield Rifles"  book has chart. You can see the top of the 4 and 2 on your rifle below ROF  it is just poorly stamped .Fazakerley changed markings after 42 to all Engraved/Electro Pencil.

They put a leather washer in butt to cushion the cleaning kit oil bottle from the metal stock bolt. You have to get leather washer and whatever else has been crammed in there in the last 78 yrs out to get access to bolt and remove stock.  Piece of hooked coat hanger is a good start. You will need a LARGE & long screwdriver preferably with a square shank on so you can get extra torque with a wrench.
View Quote

@tangeant
I’ve seen the leather washed before, but either this one disintegrated or Lord only knows what else got shoved in there. I’ll have to get a coat hook and try again to get whatever is in there out.  I’ve got just the screwdriver to use, bought it back in the day when I bought my first Enfield.

Thanks for the info on that book, haven’t heard of that one. Need to pick up a copy, always wanting to learn more
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Anyone have any particular brand of ammunition they’d recommend using? I’ve got some Remington I bought years ago along with some POF, which is hangfire and corrosive, but I’ve always had good luck with it. Plus I always cleaned thoroughly after shooting

Also found some Wolf 303 I had gotten somewhere and forgotten about but reading mixed reviews on that now
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#45]

@NoMoAMMO

Wow, you’ve got more dedication than me. After I broke mine down and started wiping it off, I stopped after I filled my trash can with debris and other crap off my work bench.

I did go and start scrubbing the bore again this evening. It’s starting to show progress, but holy crap it’s like sludge coming out
View Quote

I used Hoppes black and a brush, that's what took the ability of my time lol
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:56:48 AM EDT
[#46]
If the bore is rough and the muzzle worn at all it will hate boat tails. I would recommend trying surplus or commercial hunting with a flat base bullet.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Once you get it all cleaned up I'd bob the muzzle about 1/4" and recrown it.  That should help the accuracy right there...no one will even notice.

And the wood looks nice as well...I'd degrease all the metal and get some good BBQ grill paint and hit the metal with it to replicate Brit Suncorite finish.  Should look really snazzy then...

JMHO
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:32:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Anyone have any particular brand of ammunition they’d recommend using? I’ve got some Remington I bought years ago along with some POF, which is hangfire and corrosive, but I’ve always had good luck with it. Plus I always cleaned thoroughly after shooting

Also found some Wolf 303 I had gotten somewhere and forgotten about but reading mixed reviews on that now
View Quote

Try to find some Greek HXP, it's good stuff or some of the German MEN that was around the past couple of years. South African was also supposed to be good but I have no experience with it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#49]
If the bore is rough and the muzzle worn at all it will hate boat tails. I would recommend trying surplus or commercial hunting with a flat base bullet.
View Quote

@tangeant

Any certain brand you’d recommend?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Jeremy2171:
Once you get it all cleaned up I'd bob the muzzle about 1/4" and recrown it.  That should help the accuracy right there...no one will even notice.

And the wood looks nice as well...I'd degrease all the metal and get some good BBQ grill paint and hit the metal with it to replicate Brit Suncorite finish.  Should look really snazzy then...

JMHO
View Quote

@Jeremy2171
I thought about that as well but I think I’ll just thoroughly clean it and leave as is. Gives it a little more character.

I wish I could find someone who would counterbore my 1916 so I could test the accuracy on it
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top