Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/29/2017 3:33:21 PM EDT
Greetings all,

I have a 10.5'' SBR in 5.56 (which I intend to suppress in the very near future). Up until now I have been running a Vortex SPARC and I have made the decision to purchase one of the better quality optics. Based on the consensus reached on the interwebz (for what it's worth) I have ruled out the EOTechs, if this is a mistake I would like to hear why and I will add EOTechs back for consideration.

I am currently looking at the Aimpoint PRO or the Aimpoint Micro.

- Physically, which would be a better fit for an SBR. Does the larger PRO aid in sight picture acquisition at all ?
- Do the differences between the PRO and Micro warrant the additional cost of the Micro?
- Do you really feel that much of a weight difference between the two ?..and yes I know, ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain.

- Lastly, not that this really matter but..lol who are we kidding yes it does, which looks better ?

Thank you all in advance for the opinions and guidance.

io.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You misspelled RMR.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You misspelled MRO.
View Quote
Fixed it for you
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a T-1 on my 10.5, with a LaRue tall mount.  If I were doing it today I'd get a T-2 2moa with the same mount.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I have both T1s and Comps on SBRs. I don’t find one to be better suited than the other on an AR. For size/weight reasons I do like the T1 best on the AR, but this is subjective and individual dependent.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Micro.

Yes, there is a weight difference between the PRO and Micro.

IMO, Micro looks better on a 10.5... at least it does on mine.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#6]
For me, the trijicon ta-33 was the perfect fit. In a larue mount it's the right height.I had a mini red dot but my eyes are not the best anymore.

If I was getting a red dot though, I would go with the MRO. I like the tint of the glass and the size of the optic.  Good price too.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#8]
T-1 or T-2
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a Micro H1 on my 10.5" 300 BLK and have no complaints.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#10]
TA-44s in a Larue mount. I've had M2s, Micros, and Eotechs. The M2 and EOtech still have their place on some of my guns, but once I tried the TA44, I got rid of the Micro. The only micro-type sights I keep around anymore are the PA Microdot cheapies fro those situations where the micro size is warranted... but for an actual carbine/SBR to trust my life to, I'll take the TA44s 8 days a week.

At 5oz (7oz with the mount) the TA44s is pretty light. I think most Micros with a mount are in the 5-6oz range. So it's only like 1oz heavier.
The ring and tiny 1moa dot is both faster for CQB AND more precise when shooting further than the Micro's 2moa dot... comes in ACSS if that's your thing too.
While the side profile doesn't look as "small" as a micro, considering the eyepiece sits out over the buis, it takes up no more rail space than a Micro. (not my rifle: http://i47.tinypic.com/wk0110.jpg)
The glass on the TA44s is more crisp and less tinted than the Micros. This was the big reason I ended up keeping the TA44s over the micro.

When sitting behind the optic, the blind blind spot obstructions on the TA44s actually seem LESS obtrusive because the housing around the eyelens is thinner than the Micros.

The ONLY real point of contention might be the 1.5X - and it's really not an issue.
I've found for center mass shots under 50 yards that both eyes open shooting is simply unaffected while at the same time the slight edge over a red dot it gives in clarity and precision for those slightly longer 50-150+ yd shots is undeniable. It's really a nonfactor and I'd urge everyone who thinks 1.5X is non-stater (and hasn't ever actually shot through a short 1.5X optic like the TA44 or TA45) to give it a try. I even surprised myself with how usable I found the optic to be... in fact, I hadn't even originally purchased the optic as a MRD replacement, but after using it for a few weeks it ended up displacing my micro red dot.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I am an Aimpoint H2 or T2 guy for 16" or SBR ARs.

I want light weight, and they look the best, imo.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:06:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a T-1 on my 10.5, with a LaRue tall mount.  If I were doing it today I'd get a T-2 2moa with the same mount.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the input all, I greatly appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I went with the tried and true Aimpoint PRO.  Sure they may be an old design but they work

Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#15]
My SBRs have either T-1s or MROs on them.  I find the MRO is more or less on par with the T-1 and a bit better price fwiw.

I highly prefer the T/H 1 over the larger optics for the size and weight savings.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I put an MRO on mine.  They are light and seem to have a better, more open field of view to my eyes than my Aimpoint Pro.  The Larue forward cant mount combo is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You misspelled Eotech EXPS.
View Quote
There ya go.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I had a T1 on it forever, just put a Trijicon 1-8 on there, so far I love it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#19]
The pro is a solid optic but I find it a little large and heavy for what it is at this point in the game. Micros have grown on me, for the weight and amount of space they take up wins it for me.

that said I use and enjoy many flavors on my short guns including eotech, elcan dr and variables.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a h1 on my SBR and PRO on my 16”.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#21]
10" SBR w/ TA-31F and Form1 suppressor

Link Posted: 1/16/2018 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I am in a similar spot to you, I have a fairly new 10.5 SBR that currently has a Vortex Sparc ii on it. I'm planning to upgrade optics as well. Not sure if you have considered a Trijicon MRO, but that's most likely what I'm going to run. I am also a fan of the Aimpoint PRO and have liked them when I've used them, that would be my second option. The micro just doesn't give me enough benefit for the added cost...
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a T1 on one of mine and an MRO on another.  Both good.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#24]
My 10.5” setup two ways.

With a 1-8 trijicon

With a T1
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 8:20:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
TA-44s in a Larue mount. I've had M2s, Micros, and Eotechs. The M2 and EOtech still have their place on some of my guns, but once I tried the TA44, I got rid of the Micro. The only micro-type sights I keep around anymore are the PA Microdot cheapies fro those situations where the micro size is warranted... but for an actual carbine/SBR to trust my life to, I'll take the TA44s 8 days a week.

At 5oz (7oz with the mount) the TA44s is pretty light. I think most Micros with a mount are in the 5-6oz range. So it's only like 1oz heavier.
The ring and tiny 1moa dot is both faster for CQB AND more precise when shooting further than the Micro's 2moa dot... comes in ACSS if that's your thing too.
While the side profile doesn't look as "small" as a micro, considering the eyepiece sits out over the buis, it takes up no more rail space than a Micro. (not my rifle: http://i47.tinypic.com/wk0110.jpg)
The glass on the TA44s is more crisp and less tinted than the Micros. This was the big reason I ended up keeping the TA44s over the micro.

When sitting behind the optic, the blind blind spot obstructions on the TA44s actually seem LESS obtrusive because the housing around the eyelens is thinner than the Micros.

The ONLY real point of contention might be the 1.5X - and it's really not an issue.
I've found for center mass shots under 50 yards that both eyes open shooting is simply unaffected while at the same time the slight edge over a red dot it gives in clarity and precision for those slightly longer 50-150+ yd shots is undeniable. It's really a nonfactor and I'd urge everyone who thinks 1.5X is non-stater (and hasn't ever actually shot through a short 1.5X optic like the TA44 or TA45) to give it a try. I even surprised myself with how usable I found the optic to be... in fact, I hadn't even originally purchased the optic as a MRD replacement, but after using it for a few weeks it ended up displacing my micro red dot.
View Quote
Do you have experience with less than ideal shooting positions?  My fear is that its practical application is significantly slower as you have to line up eye relief.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#26]
I recently switched all my aimpoint pros to MROs .... nothing wrong with the Aimpoints I just like the MRO better, its like its easier to look through if that makes sense and it feels lighter and takes up less room on the rail / isn't as bulky ?  I did this on 4 SBR'd ARs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Greetings all,

I have a 10.5'' SBR in 5.56 (which I intend to suppress in the very near future). Up until now I have been running a Vortex SPARC and I have made the decision to purchase one of the better quality optics. Based on the consensus reached on the interwebz (for what it's worth) I have ruled out the EOTechs, if this is a mistake I would like to hear why and I will add EOTechs back for consideration.

I am currently looking at the Aimpoint PRO or the Aimpoint Micro.

- Physically, which would be a better fit for an SBR. Does the larger PRO aid in sight picture acquisition at all ?
- Do the differences between the PRO and Micro warrant the additional cost of the Micro?
- Do you really feel that much of a weight difference between the two ?..and yes I know, ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain.

- Lastly, not that this really matter but..lol who are we kidding yes it does, which looks better ?

Thank you all in advance for the opinions and guidance.

io.
View Quote
You have not considered the far less expensive Vortex brand. Never mind the others in this much lower price category.

Theres simply no reason to pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars for aimpoint products with perfectly good alternatives like Primary arms and Vortex available for less.

Theres nothing wrong with their products and their warranty is lifetime.  I've never had any problems with either brand.  I have a vortex dot on my work rifle and have had no practical reason to demand an Aimpoint for twice the cost.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 6:50:08 AM EDT
[#28]
The Trijicon MRO has been on sale at Arms Unlimited for $350 with your choice of mount.  That would be my choice.

If not the MRO I would go with the T1/T2
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The Trijicon MRO has been on sale at Arms Unlimited for $350 with your choice of mount.  That would be my choice.

View Quote
I don’t see the “with your choice of mount” part.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You needed to scroll down.....(Not sure if I should post this.....It'll probably sell out before I can get one.....But.....)

MRO with Mount
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
 Absolutely.

I like the MRO more than a COMP M3 or a T2 (my other red dots).

ETA...  I have the scalarworks mount.  Like it a lot, too.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Happy with the PRO. Simple, reliable, cost effective.

Link Posted: 2/9/2018 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#33]
FWIW - I don’t see much difference between my SPARC AR and the other brands being referenced. I run this optic on a number of my AR’s because I can get them for $100 every once in a while at PSA. These are typically my range and plinkin units.

If this is your SHTF unit, then an always on solution like the T1/2 is a better fit and the quality control will give you more confidence for reliability.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
FWIW - I don’t see much difference between my SPARC AR and the other brands being referenced. I run this optic on a number of my AR’s because I can get them for $100 every once in a while at PSA. These are typically my range and plinkin units.

If this is your SHTF unit, then an always on solution like the T1/2 is a better fit and the quality control will give you more confidence for reliability.
View Quote
Well my philosophy is if I'm dumping the extra money to SBR something it's going to be for serious use, if it's just a plinking toy there's no reason to SBR it in my opinion.  My range toys have SPARC ARs among other optics/carry handles.  However, my one SBR has an Aimpoint PRO.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#35]
The reason I go with RMRs on SBRs is the tiny size/weight and the larger dots available. I have a MRO but I wish it was available with a 6.5moa dot instead of 2moa. I don't expect my 10" rifles to be more accurate than 6" at 100yds anyway, and the larger dots acquire faster.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#36]
An Aimpoint micro (H2/T2) in a Scalarworks mount is sexy and almost weightless.

But, after running one for awhile, I will point out that PROs are bigger and offer more FOV through the optic. Never seen an MRO in person, but the new Vortex AMG holosight looks like a great option as well, but it's built like a tank (and kinda shaped like one).
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 6:30:25 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a DD SBR in holding now, I still have trust in the new EOTs.  Ordered an EXPS2 from Brownells and it is arriving this week.

The DD V7S will be set up with the new EOT and a set of DD BUIS.

Link Posted: 3/12/2018 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#39]
I had a PRO on my LWRC SBR. Got a MRO patrol on sale, and swapped it out. I like both, but the MRO is smaller overall. I'd find someone with both and try them out to see which one you like best.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#40]
A lot of people stuck on the asthetics of the T1/2....if looks could kill...but they don't.

Fine optics but heavy on price point and low on field of view.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The reason I go with RMRs on SBRs is the tiny size/weight and the larger dots available. I have a MRO but I wish it was available with a 6.5moa dot instead of 2moa. I don't expect my 10" rifles to be more accurate than 6" at 100yds anyway, and the larger dots acquire faster.
View Quote
Two comments:

There is no reason a short barrel cannot be as accurate as a longer barrel. The shorter barrel has more accuracy potential than the same profile longer barrel because it is going to be stiffer over it's length.

To make a 2moa dot look bigger, just turn up the brightness.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
An Aimpoint micro (H2/T2) in a Scalarworks mount is sexy and almost weightless.

But, after running one for awhile, I will point out that PROs are bigger and offer more FOV through the optic. Never seen an MRO in person, but the new Vortex AMG holosight looks like a great option as well, but it's built like a tank (and kinda shaped like one).
View Quote
FOV through a micro should not be part of the equation since they are intended to be used both eyes open. When used this way - with the micro mounted far enough forward - there is near zero FOV issue.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A lot of people stuck on the asthetics of the T1/2....if looks could kill...but they don't.

Fine optics but heavy on price point and low on field of view.
View Quote
Mount it forward and shoot both eyes open and FOV isn't an issue. It isn't supposed to be used like a scope.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't see much difference between a SPARC and a T1, but there is a good bit of difference with a T2.

For the $s a SPARC is hard to beat. But I use T2s and an EOTech on my favorites. The ones I'll grab for my son and I if required.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#45]
It seems a number of guys could benefit from a tutorial on shooting with red dot sights.

Here's one from Aimpoint:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cGuNBVAMS6U

From Stag Arms:

There are several types of reflex sights, using slightly different technology to accomplish the same effect. For the shooter, the techniques used to aim are the same:

Focus on the target. Keep your focus there; you don’t need to change your focus to the sight. Keep both eyes open.
Bring the rifle up to your cheek, don’t bring your head down to the rifle. Don’t move your head or take your focus off of the target. Put the stock as close the center of your chest as possible.
With your focus on the target and both eyes open, you will see the reticle appear in front of you as the rifle comes up to your cheek. Keeping both eyes open and focused on the target, simply place the reticle on the intended point of impact, and squeeze the trigger.
If you practice this technique, you will find that your speed in acquiring and engaging a target will increase significantly over the use of iron sights.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 2:15:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Top 10.3" Aimpoint micro T1 (geissele mount)

Middle 10.5" Eotech 512 (had it laying around, didn't feel like sending it in for the rebate)

Bottom 12" Trijicon MRO. (giessele mount)

I love the Aimpoint and MRO, I MAY like the Aimpoint a little more. But for the price difference, I'd probably buy another MRO before another aimpoint micro.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#47]
I really like the steiner P4xi, it works well as a red dot and is truly daylight bright, at the same time 4x is enough for me to reach out 2-300 yds and still have a pretty clear picture with a simple but functional reticle.  I use mine on a 12" and it has become my favorite setup.  With the newer 1-X offerings I don't see myself going back to red dots.  Red dots do offer a much more forgiving eye box and weight savings, but I really like a bit of magnification to make longer distances easier.

-Mike
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#48]
T2 on an LT660 is what's on my 10.5".

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#50]
My 11.5" is going to get a transplanted MRO, but I have really been interested in the LCO the last few months. Seems like it'd make a good option.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top