[#2]
Who's brake?
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By k31user:
Who's brake?
View Quote

I assume yours? If it's not, I'm not sure then.  I have a ziploc bag full of assorted brakes and collars that I've amassed over the years.  I even have a couple of the old smith vortex mounts still lying around.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:04:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#4]
My apologies for the late pictures.  We were some of the last neighborhoods in San Antonio to get power restored after this crazy snow we had.  I've been off the grid for a few days now.  Finally warming back up. Feels great.  That morning I had to take the opportunity to snap some fresh powder snow pics of my suppressed rifles before the kiddos destroyed the yard lol. I have no idea when I'll have the chance to do that again living here.  First chance I'm getting to post them. Not too many AEM5 pics in the snow in this thread. Enjoy.

" />

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By jeremywills:
My apologies for the late pictures.  We were some of the last neighborhoods in San Antonio to get power restored after this crazy snow we had.  I've been off the grid for a few days now.  Finally warming back up. Feels great.  That morning I had to take the opportunity to snap some fresh powder snow pics of my suppressed rifles before the kiddos destroyed the yard lol. I have no idea when I'll have the chance to do that again living here.  First chance I'm getting to post them. Not too many AEM5 pics in the snow in this thread. Enjoy.

https://i.imgur.com/8bE1mpP.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/8bE1mpP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gcnRmGt.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/E72dvl2h.jpg
View Quote

Great pictures man.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:48:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By KavonTN:

I assume yours? If it's not, I'm not sure then.  I have a ziploc bag full of assorted brakes and collars that I've amassed over the years.  I even have a couple of the old smith vortex mounts still lying around.
View Quote

Is it magnetic?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By stainlineho:

Is it magnetic?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KavonTN:

Is it magnetic?

It is, Ron asked me the same question.  I think I've narrowed down where I got it from.  Not sure if they made it or what.  I'll shoot them an email today.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Bravo company or Centurian. There are probably others.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Is it safe to say that if the product/description says Ops Inc and not AE then it’s not one of yours?  Currently hunting a brake for my 6.5G. Brownells has a 30 cal in stock but referenced as Ops Inc.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:49:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KavonTN] [#10]

Shot ok today.  No issues.  First time shooting passive with a pvs 14 and it wasn't terrible.  Need to get a laser though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Brownells does not buy mine either. I have a batch of brakes in process that includes 5/8-24's that can be made into .22, 6mm, 6.5, or .30 cal.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been toying with the idea of making a .223 version of an M24A2 - would like another host for my AEM5 besides my Mk12 and this sounds like fun.

Figure I can find a R700 223 somewhere, the adjustable length of pull AND comb HS Precision stock, and maybe use like a Precision Reflex top rail (which looks very damn close to the MARS rail).

Just need to find somebody who can profile the R700's barrel to fit my AEM5...
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Great pictures man.
View Quote

Thx.  Couldn't pass up the opportunity.  It may be a quite a while for me to be able to do snow pictures again living here in San Antonio.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:05:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Brownells does not buy mine either. I have a batch of brakes in process that includes 5/8-24's that can be made into .22, 6mm, 6.5, or .30 cal.
View Quote

Thank you for the clarification. Do your vendors typically carry brakes in 6.5 or is that a custom request?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:49:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Mod H-ish 6.5 Grendel.  Having a hard time installing the brake.  Used a 7.62 crush washer and snapped the washer while torquing down.  Thinking about using a Precision Armament Accu-Washer.  Never had any trouble with the 5.56 versions.  What wrench do you guys use for install?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:03:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DackJaniels] [#16]
Originally Posted By cdholmes:
Mod H-ish 6.5 Grendel.  Having a hard time installing the brake.  Used a 7.62 crush washer and snapped the washer while torquing down.  Thinking about using a Precision Armament Accu-Washer.  Never had any trouble with the 5.56 versions.  What wrench do you guys use for install?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/414212/A6448461-FE34-4070-8CA9-10B66243E330_jpe-1838961.JPG
View Quote

Looking good man! How’s that 10.5” barrel treatin ya? Also how does the .30 Cal AEM’s sound on the Grendel? I’m still trying to hunt one down but doubt I’ll get my hands on one
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#17]
If you have a standard length 5/8-24 thread(.62 long) and are using one of my brakes, the 5/8 id crush washer will put the brake 3-4 turns farther forward.
Just use 5/8 shims. My brake wrench works well for installing without damaging the brake.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:24:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cdholmes] [#18]
Originally Posted By DackJaniels:

Looking good man! How’s that 10.5” barrel treatin ya? Also how does the .30 Cal AEM’s sound on the Grendel? I’m still trying to hunt one down but doubt I’ll get my hands on one
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DackJaniels:

Honestly I haven't even been to the range to shoot the short Grendel yet.  And I had the AEM on a 13" Grendel and it was fairly quiet, a good tone.  I got my AEM5-30 about a year and a half ago from Ron.

If you have a standard length 5/8-24 thread(.62 long) and are using one of my brakes, the 5/8 id crush washer will put the brake 3-4 turns farther forward.
Just use 5/8 shims. My brake wrench works well for installing without damaging the brake.

Thanks for the help Ron.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Are your brake wrenches for sale?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:

Quoted for interest as well.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:15:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I would love to see a video of how Ron welds the front end of his cans.  There is some magic there to the consistency and simplicity.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:31:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes.
View Quote

How does someone go about picking one up Ron?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes.
View Quote

Where can I buy one? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:55:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gremyashchy1911] [#26]
I would be interested in seeing what it looks like. I made a crows foot looking tool that fits the taper of the “flats” on the brake. It needs a little finishing but it’s pretty good for all hand work. Wish I had access to a mill and lathe to make my tools with. I’ll post pictures when I get off work in the morning .
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Send me an email. I have a few of them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:04:47 AM EDT
[#28]
This is the tool I made for installing and removing the brakes.

It started life as a broken class 8 truck spring and a impact socket that was damaged. Torch, grinder, drill press, welder and files later that's what it looks like. It wasn't too hard to make but has a long way to go I only get a small amount of time to work on it during the day. Still got some work to do making it look cleaner and more like a tool and not a train wreck when placed in close proximity to anything a real machinist turns out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Gremyashchy1911:
This is the tool I made for installing and removing the brakes.
https://i.imgur.com/8dMprg2.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cd5N7V3.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LlgUT1x.jpg

It started life as a broken class 8 truck spring and a impact socket that was damaged. Torch, grinder, drill press, welder and files later that's what it looks like. It wasn't too hard to make but has a long way to go I only get a small amount of time to work on it during the day. Still got some work to do making it look cleaner and more like a tool and not a train wreck when placed in close proximity to anything a real machinist turns out.
View Quote

Hey, it's functional and serves the purpose!
Ron replied to my email and I sent him some funds for his wrench and a shim kit last night.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#30]
What is the best option to purchase an AEM5 at the moment?  I can’t find them in stock anywhere.

-Mike
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:51:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By mjmjr1312:
What is the best option to purchase an AEM5 at the moment?  I can’t find them in stock anywhere.

-Mike
View Quote

I’m in the same boat as you. I’ve emailed a ton of different distributors but  no one has any. Our best bet is either the used market (I haven’t seen any used for sale in a long time except one on gunbroker that went for $1200+) or hope that if/when Ron catches up with his orders that he decides to bless this earth with just a few more of those sweet sweet AEM-5’s. A couple pages back Ron mentioned retirement, which if anyone deserves it, it’s him.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:02:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Same here. I ended up backordering an AEM5 at DSG Arms mid December and I'm still waiting with no ETA from them. The wait to even start the stamp hurts but it is what it is. I'm just hoping they'll get it filled before he retires!
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:52:48 AM EDT
[#33]

hosts
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Interesting post from Kevin and his collection. Didn’t see anything posted so figured I’d share.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#35]
I have to laugh.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I have to laugh.
View Quote

Ron,
Curious on your thoughts, I’ve been reading this thread since before he started his current company. Genuinely interested. No dog in fight and looking to add some AEM to the collection soon.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#37]

Well I guess I need to throw out all my long collars and cancel my order on barrels!! I’ll have to look into getting some barrels machined with the collar in place and a built in brake. Anyone recommend a shop??

Seeing that makes me laugh on a otherwise uneventful Sunday.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Lonestar12:

Ron,
Curious on your thoughts, I’ve been reading this thread since before he started his current company. Genuinely interested. No dog in fight and looking to add some AEM to the collection soon.
View Quote

Sorry, it just took me back to the Silencer Talk days when AAC was just getting going and there was more baloney flying around than a tornado that just went through the Oscar Mayer factory.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:24:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#39]
So I skipped purchasing a superior product and bought an inferior one according to Kevin then.....................? Nah, I like my AEM5 and have no desire to own anything from Q

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:36:31 AM EDT
[#40]

-Mike
View Quote

You can call Capitol Armory and place a backorder there. That is what I did, they might be able to give you an estimate on when more will show up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Mod H-ish 6.5 Grendel with AEM5-30

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Yumago:

You can call Capitol Armory and place a backorder there. That is what I did, they might be able to give you an estimate on when more will show up.
View Quote

Thanks I’ll do that
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#43]
So I skipped purchasing a superior product and bought an inferior one according to Kevin then.....................? Nah, I like my AEM5 and have no desire to own anything from Q

View Quote

I mean, why would anyone desire to own anything from Q when they openly brag about bad titanium welds? If you look at their social media feeds and cross reference to guidelines on visually evaluating titanium welds, the crazy colors that they brag about are quite clearly unacceptable.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By ARgunner0210:

I mean, why would anyone desire to own anything from Q when they openly brag about bad titanium welds? If you look at their social media feeds and cross reference to guidelines on visually evaluating titanium welds, the crazy colors that they brag about are quite clearly unacceptable.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ARgunner0210:

He was banned from this site years and years ago for a good reason.

His reputation precedes him (the ultimate troll).
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:53:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#45]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#46]
I've got a way of cleaning the suppressors that seems to work pretty well. I'm going to give this one a second run through
and see how it ends up. It was pretty dirty,
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:55:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#47]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:41:28 PM EDT
[#48]

-Mike
View Quote

Best option?  Relax.  Network with dealers.  Capital Armory, Charlie’s Custom Clones, eSuppressor shop, etc.  Ron is making them.  You will just have to wait longer.  Most of the sealers are selling fewer and could increase prices to equalize supply and demand.  But most are not.

These will return.  Ron has a lot of work, and he is serving his dealers and they will come through for us.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:18:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wayfaerer320] [#49]
What would I need to mount an AEM5-30 on an M1A?

Is there a specific brake and collar for this application?

Here is my inspiration below. Yes, I know that is a Sionics suppressor, but I was thinking an AEM5-30 would look pretty damn close to this and look pretty cool on a shorty M14 build. Would have a very similar look and feel.

I guess my first question is, what barrel length would I want/need to achieve a similar profile per below with the AEM5-30 mounted? More importantly, how doable is this?

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:40:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UnknownPatriot] [#50]
^^^ In my experience the m1a does not suppress well. One reason is the thin barrel will have a huge poi vertical shift with an average weight 30 cal silencer. The aem30 will likely be more. Get an ar10. Don’t look back. Sorry.
Page / 102
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top