User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 102
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:36:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KavonTN:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um5S-puO7_A
9 hole reviews BHD clone video. (uses OPS / AE can)

I haven't finished the video yet but I've been putting off building an upper like this.  

Any leads on a barrel that will work? I'd even be open to a complete upper.  I have been waiting for the 12.5" barrel w/ FSB to come back in stock and am getting impatient, lol .  

I have an OPS 16th model and AEM5 I could use....would probably end up getting a dedicated can eventually.
View Quote

Ballistic advantage 12.5" with my custom.collar fit...just needed to grind off the bayo lug angled support web.

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:00:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:

Ballistic advantage 12.5" with my custom.collar fit...just needed to grind off the bayo lug angled support web. 

https://i.ibb.co/pQhqMD5/IMG-20200515-191620783.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/5R2b6G3/IMG-20200515-190434166-2.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/ykCXvxj/IMG-20200515-183326812.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
Originally Posted By KavonTN:
9 hole reviews BHD clone video. (uses OPS / AE can)

I haven't finished the video yet but I've been putting off building an upper like this.  

Any leads on a barrel that will work? I'd even be open to a complete upper.  I have been waiting for the 12.5" barrel w/ FSB to come back in stock and am getting impatient, lol .  

I have an OPS 16th model and AEM5 I could use....would probably end up getting a dedicated can eventually.

Ballistic advantage 12.5" with my custom.collar fit...just needed to grind off the bayo lug angled support web. 

https://i.ibb.co/pQhqMD5/IMG-20200515-191620783.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/5R2b6G3/IMG-20200515-190434166-2.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/ykCXvxj/IMG-20200515-183326812.jpg

I noticed you have a .22 conversion going on there. Do you drop your can into an ultrasonic cleaner or something to get the gunk out?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By KavonTN:
9 hole reviews BHD clone video. (uses OPS / AE can)

I haven't finished the video yet but I've been putting off building an upper like this.  

Any leads on a barrel that will work? I'd even be open to a complete upper.  I have been waiting for the 12.5" barrel w/ FSB to come back in stock and am getting impatient, lol .  

I have an OPS 16th model and AEM5 I could use....would probably end up getting a dedicated can eventually.
View Quote

Thanks for sharing the link.  I thoroughly enjoyed watching that.

I can't will till my AEM5 arrives.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

I noticed you have a .22 conversion going on there. Do you drop your can into an ultrasonic cleaner or something to get the gunk out?i

View Quote
I havent yet. I only have maybe 100rnds throught it with subsonic lead one and a few copper plated ones. I try and not dump 22lr through it.

Eventually ill get an ultrasonic for it, but this is mainly a 223 can and i always shoot 223 after any 22

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not a clone, but took inspiration from the BHD movie gun using some newer parts. I used the 12.5" SS barrel and 2-piece collar that Ron sold last year. SUPER fun to shoot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jason99xj:
It's not a clone, but took inspiration from the BHD movie gun using some newer parts. I used the 12.5" SS barrel and 2-piece collar that Ron sold last year. SUPER fun to shoot.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57302/bhdish_jpg-1423579.JPG
View Quote

Nice! Lots of cool BHD builds here recently.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Grrr the more pics I see like that more I'll be tempted to eventually build something similar.  Thanks you guys lol.

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems like a handy size. I was surprised when I had to sit on them so long.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I am wanting to run an AEM5 on a 11.5 barrel.  Any off the shelf barrels profiled correctly for this, or do I really have to ask Ron to make a M4 collar....?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I am wanting to run an AEM5 on a 11.5 barrel.  Any off the shelf barrels profiled correctly for this, or do I really have to ask Ron to make a M4 collar....?
View Quote

I don’t think AEM5 and 11.5 is possible. Not enough room. I’m sure it was discussed a while back somewhere but a Spikes tapered gas block gives you the best chance on the shortest barrel.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

I don’t think AEM5 and 11.5 is possible. Not enough room. I’m sure it was discussed a while back somewhere but a Spikes tapered gas block gives you the best chance on the shortest barrel.
View All Quotes
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I am wanting to run an AEM5 on a 11.5 barrel.  Any off the shelf barrels profiled correctly for this, or do I really have to ask Ron to make a M4 collar....?

A 12.3” barrel with a midlength gas port will barely fit an AEM4 with a Spike’s GB and get the optimal amount of turns for mounting the suppressor.

I don’t think it will work with an AEM5.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JAR-SPR:

A 12.3” barrel with a midlength gas port will barely fit an AEM4 with a Spike’s GB and get the optimal amount of turns for mounting the suppressor.

View All Quotes

11.0" on a carbine length gas system, 13.0" on a mid length gas system, and 16.4" on a rifle length gas system with the Spike's Tactical gas block.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

11.0" on a carbine length gas system, 13.0" on a mid length gas system, and 16.4" on a rifle length gas system with the Spike's Tactical gas block.
View Quote

I knew you’d have the answers!
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:24:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Question:

Just got my AEM5 out of Jail. Hurray

So, I have a 12.5" barrel and an MK12 collar. There is no step for the collar, but to get 8.5 turns on my suppressor that leaves about 1.5" gap between my collar and my gas block. I was thinking of running some pvc pipe to fill that gap so my collar doesn't slip down when tightening the suppressor. This way, my collar would essentially be backed up against my gas block ensuring that it doesn't slip. My collar is tightly fitted to my barrel. I used metal Feeler Guages to get rid of any looseness and made sure there were no gaps.

Theoretically, could this setup be run?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:35:29 AM EDT
[#15]
In my opinion, the words PVC pipe and suppressor mount probably don’t belong in the same sentence. Avoid the risk of making a costly and, more importantly, time consuming mistake.

I’m sure Ron will be along soon to offer some options.

Originally Posted By star_fox_64:
Question:

So, I have a 12.5" barrel and an MK12 collar. There is no step for the collar, but to get 8.5 turns on my suppressor that leaves about 1.5" gap between my collar and my gas block. I was thinking of running some pvc pipe to fill that gap so my collar doesn't slip down when tightening the suppressor. This way, my collar would essentially be backed up against my gas block ensuring that it doesn't slip. My collar is tightly fitted to my barrel. I used metal Feeler Guages to get rid of any looseness and made sure there were no gaps.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:50:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Outrider] [#16]
Question:

View Quote

Which barrel do you have? Most guys who have done the 12.5 used the M4 to AEM5 collar which indexes off the small shelf near the muzzle that’s found on M4 profile barrels (not the 203 cutout)

ETA: And absolutely listen to goloud. You don’t want to be trying to make your own suppressor mount fixes.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Which barrel do you have? Most guys who have done the 12.5 used the M4 to AEM5 collar which indexes off the small shelf near the muzzle that’s found on M4 profile barrels (not the 203 cutout)

ETA: And absolutely listen to goloud. You don’t want to be trying to make your own suppressor mount fixes.
View Quote

Criterion 12.5" .223 Wylde Hybrid Carbine Length

https://www.primaryarms.com/criterion-barrels-.223-wylde-12.5-hybrid-carbine-chrome-lined
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:10:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Outrider] [#18]

Criterion 12.5" .223 Wylde Hybrid Carbine Length

https://www.primaryarms.com/criterion-barrels-.223-wylde-12.5-hybrid-carbine-chrome-lined
View Quote

Nice barrel and it looks like it has the profile to use the M4/AEM5 collar. I think you'll have to get in touch with Ron and give him some dimensions.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Nice barrel and it looks like it has the profile to use the M4/AEM5 collar. I think you'll have to get in touch with Ron and give him some dimensions.

http://aesuppressors.com/images/M4%20AEM5%20Collar.jpg

http://aesuppressors.com/images/2230fit.jpg
View Quote

Yeah that's what my gut is telling me to do. I'm just anxious to shoot the dang thing. Thanks for the advice
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Yep. AEM5 on M4 style collar.  Need distance from crown to step and diameter before and after step.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Jist got an email from Steve @ Adco....my Howa 1500 223 is ready to ship back to me. :)

I sent it out about the 9th of may, so a solid two weeks is about what i expected. Cant wait to put the AEM5 on it
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 4:19:03 AM EDT
[#22]
@K31user

Got any them two piece alignment collars for pencil or a2 profile barrels?

I have a 733 and M4 barreled uppers I'd like a Mogadishu-Delta-1993 type look for.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:04:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KavonTN] [#23]
Didn't think about taking pics until I was in the middle of cleaning...just wanted to share. I have a handful of ops / AE cans (and would really like two more aem5s or a 12th model).  And the thought of building a BHD psuedo clone made me think of it.

This 12.5" AR upper was my first SBR. Approved Oct 2009. DD barrel w/ FSB. 16th model was approved Mar 2010

This brake has seen at least 5000-8000 rounds of ammo. There were days my friends and I would bump 1k through it. So I have no doubt the round count may be higher. 99% of the time it has had the Ops 16th model on it.  It's been red hot, its had 22lr through it (ceiner kit), it has been nicked, etc.  The 16th model now weighs 1lb 5.7oz. Which isnt too bad since I guess it started out at 19oz.

Could probably use a little scraping but I'm sure itll be fine.

Thanks Ron for making a great product that has lasted (me at least) over a decade.  

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Pics of the HOWA 1500 .223 all finished, alomg witu the Mod H and Gordon clone. These are all super pleasent to shoot.

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
Pics of the HOWA 1500 .223 all finished, alomg witu the Mod H and Gordon clone. These are all super pleasent to shoot.

https://i.ibb.co/ZGB4sSC/IMG-20200530-144721121.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/60FjD1R/received-560707471266236.jpg

View Quote

Nice host collection you got yourself there.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#27]
For some reason I really appreciate the URX Mod H clones. That’s awesome.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Seems brake and collar kits are OOS everywhere. Has there been a run on parts or something else going on? I need to pick one up.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 10:54:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By TexasTerror:
Seems brake and collar kits are OOS everywhere. Has there been a run on parts or something else going on? I need to pick one up.
View Quote

They have been ordering alot lately. I got a batch back from plating yesterday so they will start appearing on dealer shelves shortly.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 2:20:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By k31user:

They have been ordering alot lately. I got a batch back from plating yesterday so they will start appearing on dealer shelves shortly.
View Quote

Thanks Ron. I’ll keep an eye out.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Where is the best place to buy the Ops brake and m4 collar?  New, retail.  Please don't say Charlie.  

Does it matter what's under any suppressor (especially AEM5)?  Does it matter if it's a brake or FH?
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:
Where is the best place to buy the Ops brake and m4 collar?  New, retail.  Please don't say Charlie.  

Does it matter what's under any suppressor (especially AEM5)?  Does it matter if it's a brake or FH?
View Quote

ADCO
DSG
Capital Armory

M4 Collar is no longer off the shelf, you'll need to contact Ron.

Steve from Adco has stated multiple times the FH reduces accuracy when compared to the brake.  I've never observed this myself, at least no worse than what I could chalk up to a bad day at the range (too much caffeine).
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#33]
I wound up buying mine from ADCO. I dont know if they currently have any at the moment.

Capitol Armory has been OOS for a long time now.  Esilencers also carries the AEM5 and the mount.  See if they have any at the moment.

Link Posted: 6/10/2020 8:31:55 AM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TexasTerror:

Just wondering, but would it be cheaper and faster for you to get them nitrided instead of plated?
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:48:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver] [#35]
@k31user

I would like to buy an M4 collar and corresponding brake.  Real Colt socom barrel in 14.5 inches.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 10:11:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 6/16/2020 7:53:46 AM EDT
[#37]
DSG has brake and collar kits as of yesterday when I ordered mine.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:14:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: k31user] [#38]
ADCO  should have some soon if not already. I'm blasting the next batch for plating right now.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 2:44:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rothperson87] [#39]
I know this question has been asked a million times so I apologize in advance but I can never remember what’s what. Should I use a crush washer or shims to time the brake?

My brake times up to about 930 hand tightened with the crush washer. I know you don’t want to over torque. Is this acceptable or should I just use the shims that came with?

Thanks all!

ETA: Whats the proper torque for the AEMB?
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:
I know this question has been asked a million times so I apologize in advance but I can never remember what’s what. Should I use a crush washer or shims to time the brake?

My brake times up to about 930 hand tightened with the crush washer. I know you don’t want to over torque. Is this acceptable or should I just use the shims that came with?

Thanks all!

ETA: Whats the proper torque for the AEMB?
View Quote

Sometimes a combination of crush washer and shims are needed. I shoot for about 11 o’clock to get to 12 o’clock timing of the thinner spline with a crush washer. Slightly precrushing a crush washer in a vice can be helpful.

Torque is somewhat relative, but an 11 o’clock start should get approximately 20 ft-lbs or so, and don’t forget a dab of green or blue Loctite with clean threads on both the barrel and brake.

You don’t want to over torque, not just for accuracy reasons, but the splines can deform and then you’re SOL.

There were crush washers of recent that didn’t crush evenly.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#41]

Sometimes a combination of crush washer and shims are needed. I shoot for about 11 o’clock to get to 12 o’clock timing of the thinner spline with a crush washer. Slightly precrushing a crush washer in a vice can be helpful.

Torque is somewhat relative, but an 11 o’clock start should get approximately 20 ft-lbs or so, and don’t forget a dab of green or blue Loctite with clean threads on both the barrel and brake.

You don’t want to over torque, not just for accuracy reasons, but the splines can deform and then you’re SOL.

There were crush washers of recent that didn’t crush evenly.
View Quote

Thank you. Ended just using the shims that came with the brake since I didn’t know where the crush washer I had came from and didn’t want to risk it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#42]

Thank you. Ended just using the shims that came with the brake since I didn’t know where the crush washer I had came from and didn’t want to risk it.
View Quote

Careful with only shims, you do not want the barrel protruding in the muzzle brake port.  This should be obvious and does not look correct at all.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 1:27:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By stainlineho:

Careful with only shims, you do not want the barrel protruding in the muzzle brake port.  This should be obvious and does not look correct at all.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stainlineho:

In the newer brake and collar sets there should be a thicker shim that takes the place of the crushed washer. Add the thinner shims as needed to get the appropriate timing.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 8:35:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KavonTN] [#44]
Thoughts on getting this barrel for my BHD lookalike?

Centurion 12.5 lightweight

This is one of the few places I've been able to find that will install a FSB for you.

Would require a custom collar for my aem5. The site says "Lightweight profile is Government profile under the handguard and step down to .680 ahead of the .750 gas journal."

I'm between this, cutting down a 14.5" m4 profile barrel, or finding another 12.5" barrel and getting a FSB installed on it.

Also, finally got a rifle for my AE30 and just got the rifle back from profiling. Will get a pic today.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 12:32:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stainlineho] [#45]

This is one of the few places I've been able to find that will install a FSB for you.

Would require a custom collar for my aem5. The site says "Lightweight profile is Government profile under the handguard and step down to .680 ahead of the .750 gas journal."

I'm between this, cutting down a 14.5" m4 profile barrel, or finding another 12.5" barrel and getting a FSB installed on it.

Also, finally got a rifle for my AE30 and just got the rifle back from profiling. Will get a pic today.
View All Quotes

I don't think the barrel diameters matter too much if you are calling Ron for the collar, he will do whatever measurements you provide.  

Do you know if Centurion has the FSB's for a1 or a2 uppers or only flat top?  That looks like a good option to ensure the FSB is aligned correctly, and get a bad ass barrel that will last most forever.

In the newer brake and collar sets there should be a thicker shim that takes the place of the crushed washer. Add the thinner shims as needed to get the appropriate timing.

I got my brake and collar from Centurion, it only came with a crush washer.  I used an A2 fh to crush it down just to the point where I could 1/4" turn the brake for timing with rocksett.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#46]
I dont know which FSB they use but I'm going to use an A2 upper for my build.

Remington 700 in .308, purchased from a user here.
Had the barrel profiled by Jason from Accurate Ordnance (I wish they were still open)

With the provided thread protector.

With Armageddon Gear cover.

Link Posted: 6/18/2020 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Capitol armory has some in stock, I snagged one
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By polygon:
Capitol armory has some in stock, I snagged one
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 8:50:36 AM EDT
[#49]
I dont know which FSB they use but I'm going to use an A2 upper for my build.

Remington 700 in .308, purchased from a user here.
Had the barrel profiled by Jason from Accurate Ordnance (I wish they were still open)

https://i.imgur.com/tcH11HP.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Jv4q6jJ.jpg
With the provided thread protector.
https://i.imgur.com/Ot63hrc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/OfEV5BB.jpg
With Armageddon Gear cover.

View Quote

Damn that is slick. A bolt gun profiles for an AEM5 or AEM5-30 is on my list.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 7:14:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Is there any recommendation for using an anti-seize on the muzzle brake outer threads?

I had an issue with another suppressor (not my Ops) recently and it got me thinking.

I have some Aeroshell left over from my last AR build.
Page / 102
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top