Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2018 12:44:37 PM EDT
A while back I went to a night match hosted by a localish shooting league. I brought my night kit but it turned out to be more gamer than anything. Stages were lit reasonably well, so I ditched my NV and just used a white light on the rare occasion I needed it.

Which brings up my question.

Do you guys and gals have any opinions on behind the head banded ear pro?

I'm thinking it may be a good fit for situations where you store your bucket or even switch to and from having it in your bean.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't used any but I've been using custom molded ear plugs for years and wouldn't ever use anything else. Extremely effective, lightweight, and does not interfere with helmets, check weld, or any gear. You can even EDC them (which I do).
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Most of the time, shooting outside, I just use plugs.  When muffs are needed, mine ( brand TCI) are behind the ear and work well with or without a helmet.  They use standard muffs, but with the suspension system at the back of the head at your upper neck, with a simple strap over the top of your head.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most of the time, shooting outside, I just use plugs.  When muffs are needed, mine ( brand TCI) are behind the ear and work well with or without a helmet.  They use standard muffs, but with the suspension system at the back of the head at your upper neck, with a simple strap over the top of your head.
View Quote
If you had it to do over again, would you still get the behind the heads?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:26:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the Peltor non electronic ones, and I like them, but, normally, I only use earplugs. I will use them shooting magnum pistols and rifles. The only problem, and I have it with all the earmuffs I've tried, is checkweld. No matter the kind, I always end up with them hitting the stock. It's not as bad with a shotgun or a standard wood and steel rifle, but ARs they contact, and my Tavor, you can forget it.

If I could afford a really nice pair of custom electronic earplugs I would go that route.

If I had to shoot inside for a competition, then I'd find the smallest cups I could.

The Peltors I have are sculpted to help, but some rifles and the maybe the way I am behind a rifle, it doesn't help enough.

BTW, mine are the 3M Peltor 97008 . About $20.00, and mine are black. I'm sure a more expensive pair would give you a better fit.

I do like them better than the standard over the head ones.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#5]
This is what I switched to.

It seals in the ear and is quieter than the earmuffs, and it does not interfere with cheek weld at all. I have fallen in love with these things.

It's the Ear Shield by Otis Technology.

I just pulled this video from Youtube, there are more. I love them, they're light weight, minimal size, they fold, and they seal quickly.

OTIS Ear Shield Fast Review

Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, I would buy them again, although I also own over the head muffs.  If you wear a helmet, IMHO the best options are helmet mounted ear-pro and behind-the-neck ear-pro.  You can arrange your helmet pads to allow use of standard muffs, but it is not ideal.

I rarely wear a helmet, so perhaps those who do so more frequently can chime in.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Bought these a few years ago and have been using them for 3-gun.  Would never go back to over the head, sub $100 hearing protection.  Only have one set of ears.  Buy once, cry once.

https://srstactical.com/all-products/headsets-and-hearing-protection/msa-sordin-supreme-range/msa-sordin-supreme-pro-x-neckband-camo-cups-924.html
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the MSA behind the head with gel cups. I prefer them if I need to hear like in a class or group shoot. They kind of work under my TW Exfil and OC Basejump. Better with the OC but it’s a compromise not ideal.
If I don’t need to hear I use custom molded ears. Less sweat, headaches, messing with helmet, etc. If you legit need to hear like using radios, multiple shooters, etc. I prefer a headset under the helmet. That way when you’re sick of your lid and take it off you can use it versus rail mounting your ear pro to your helmet.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer in ear head pro like the Silynx or QuietPro.

JMO
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#10]
@lilMAC25

I've been hunting for a good enough non muff replacement for my MSAs and saw this thread as well as dug up this older thread

Are you still liking the QPs?

I got a set of MSAs to helmet mount, but between that and NODs, it's a battle getting proper cheek weld.

If you still give it a thumbs up, I'll go hunt a pair down. Fleabay still the best place?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@lilMAC25

I've been hunting for a good enough non muff replacement for my MSAs and saw this thread as well as dug up this older thread

I got a set of MSAs to helmet mount, but between that and NODs, it's a battle getting proper cheek weld.

If you still give it a thumbs up, I'll go hunt a pair down. Fleabay still the best place?
View Quote
Yup. Still like them. I’m not aware of any better place for price than FleaBay.

I wonder if you could rig up a Baefong radio to work with it...
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By @lilMAC25
Yup. Still like them. I'm not aware of any better place for price than FleaBay.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@lilMAC25

This thread got me looking.  There is a kenwood style 2 pin cable on the bay that ***should*** work with Baofengs.

edit

What is a good $ for these on ebay?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This thread got me looking.  There is a kenwood style 2 pin cable on the bay that ***should*** work with Baofengs.

edit

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@lilMAC25

edit

I can’t even remember what I paid. It was WAY under $100 though...

Link on the cable? Please report back as to whether it works.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I can't even remember what I paid. It was WAY under $100 though...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@lilMAC25

edit

Link

im not gonna fo on the cable though. $100 is a bit much for something that might not work.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Doubletab
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:18:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Link

im not gonna fo on the cable though. $100 is a bit much for something that might not work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@lilMAC25

edit

Link

Teebus, me either. Still... might be a good idea to snag the model # and keep an eye on FleaBay. I got my INVG on there for a ridiculously low price...
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Teebus, me either. Still... might be a good idea to snag the model # and keep an eye on FleaBay. I got my INVG on there for a ridiculously low price...
View Quote
So after a bit more research, it looks like you can actually get a radio for ~$100 programmed from ebay.  What is your use case / goals?

One comes programmed and will fit the Motorola connector on the QP.  You can have the seller program amateur radio or gmrs frequencies to fit your needs.  I might give it a shot but... I don't have anyone to talk to

edit: I can't get the link to work but search for MTS 2000 UHF.  It's like $89
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top