Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2018 12:37:40 AM EDT
These French made knives have caught my attention lately. I have spent some serious coin on blades but these cheap knives have been on my mind lately. Anyone have one and like it?
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:23:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Good knife. It is light, it can be locked open, and it will rust if it's not looked after. Also, they are easy to sharpen and dirt cheap. Great for kids.

I like mine better than Svord Peasant knives and Japanese schoolboy knives in the realm of cheap but good blades.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 7:38:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a few, good quality.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 3, 1 of which has a 6" or so blade.

I keep 1 in my hunting pack because it is stupid easy to re-sharpen and holds an edge well.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Got a couple of them in various sizes,be sure and get the carbon steel ones.

They resharpen much easier and hold that edge.

They get carried in my EDC pack and hunting pack as back ups because they are so light
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I have several and have given away several. I take the blade out and cold blue it and replace the pivot pin with a piece of 1/8" welding rod.

Take a super keen edge, very light, positive lock, not scary to the plebes
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have several and have given away several. I take the blade out and cold blue it and replace the pivot pin with a piece of 1/8" welding rod.

View Quote
Why do you replace the pivot pin?
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 8:44:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's just a pin that is lightly peened. Use a pair of exterior snap ring pliers to remove the rotating lock mechanism, Dremel off one side of the peened pivot pin, push it out. After removing it, it will be too short to reinstall and peen into place
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's just a pin that is lightly peened. Use a pair of exterior snap ring pliers to remove the rotating lock mechanism, Dremel off one side of the peened pivot pin, push it out. After removing it, it will be too short to reinstall and peen into place
View Quote
Thanks. I was imagining a ticking time bomb inside my Opinels if I didn't get a tier 1 replacement pin! I don't blue my blades (I think my kids put mustard stripes on one, but that may have been a Mora), so I can quit worrying!
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Great knives if you actually cut things. Don't get them too wet.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I have several, mostly for keep-sakes bought in France.  The ones I have are razor sharp.

They’re also carbon steel, so if you need a spark in a survival situation, you can use chert, quartz, flint, etc. to spark. I’ve actually caught a spark with a char cloth once, so you can build fire with a char cloth & practice.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone put a pocket clip on one yet? It seems like they should come with one.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anyone put a pocket clip on one yet? It seems like they should come with one.
View Quote
You'd have to cement in some ferrules, screws would pull out of the wood. More trouble than it's worth
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Got one.  Cheap and wicked sharp out of the box.

There are several videos on youtube on modding.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top