Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2018 1:53:20 PM EDT
I was considering going OSS, but I would need to get new muzzle devices to use their QD system.  Is the hybrid lower backpressure?

Can't get the omega to run reliably with my X95 even using high power springs.  It's very gassy with my T91 as well.  I'm sort of annoyed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#1]
The Sandman S is designed to be a low back pressure can.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
That's interesting but the reviewer doesn't seem to feel strong about the back pressure situation.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's interesting but the reviewer doesn't seem to feel strong about the back pressure situation.
View Quote
Everything I've seen makes it look very comparable to the Sandman-S. The VOX has the added benefit of being compatible with multiple types of muzzle devices.

If you're not opposed to changing muzzle devices (as originally stated in your OP), then go with the Sandman.

If you're already dead set on the Hybrid, go with it. It has plenty of good reviews, too.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Sandman s seems to be a solid choice here

I like mine but my main host for this can is a AK so it’s an apples to oranges comparison
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#6]
You didn't say anything about your priorities, but if your main issue is back pressure then the NG2 MaxFlo 3D is the next closest thing to the OSS concept that I know of so far and reviews seem to indicate it does what they say it does.

The engineer side of me is kind of obsessed with this question of back pressure, and I would love to see somebody start doing bolt speed measurements to really quantify it properly.  Until then, the list in my head of other companies that seem to be trying to make progress with this stuff include:

Amtac
Q
SAS
Dead Air
There were a couple new companies doing 3D printing that got coverage at SHOT this year, but I'm not remembering their names--TDS and something else...?

Until we have bolt speed measurements, the only other empirical data I'm aware of we can look at is sound measurements at the ear.  The NFATalk spreadsheet has a lot of solid data, and Modern Rifleman has put together a spreadsheet that collects the data from some of the YouTube testing but you have to be careful because some of them use the meter that isn't well-respected.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 5:40:03 PM EDT
[#8]
SureFire SOCOM is my vote. Followed by the Sandman.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#9]
The Hybrid will be lower back pressure because of the large bore.  It gets close to the Omega muzzle suppression levels with the 556 front cap, which will increase back pressure slightly over the .46 front cap.  The Omega is a high back pressure .30 can, but on a 556 usually isn't any worse than a 556 bore can.   I'm not familiar with the Tavor, but it sounds like it's not well adapted to being a suppressor host.  With adjustable gas AR15, or piston AR180 I don't find the Omega back pressure to be that bad on 556. Hopefully somebody with Tavor experience can point you in the right direction. A concern I would have with a bullpup putting the muzzle so close to your face is that reducing back pressure and port pop/gas with a lower push can will make muzzle blast more annoying.  Other than the suggestion already given, a high volume can like Sig or Q might also help.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#10]
My Tavor X95 suppresses fine with a number of my cans. What's it doing that you're having problems with? Just being gassy?
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My Tavor X95 suppresses fine with a number of my cans. What's it doing that you're having problems with? Just being gassy?
View Quote
The issue with the X95 is that it appears to be short stroking.  It is trying to eject and feed at the same time.  It only happens when suppressed.  It's a 15 inch barrel with the pinned sico fh.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You didn't say anything about your priorities, but if your main issue is back pressure then the NG2 MaxFlo 3D is the next closest thing to the OSS concept that I know of so far and reviews seem to indicate it does what they say it does.

The engineer side of me is kind of obsessed with this question of back pressure, and I would love to see somebody start doing bolt speed measurements to really quantify it properly.  Until then, the list in my head of other companies that seem to be trying to make progress with this stuff include:

Amtac
Q
SAS
Dead Air
There were a couple new companies doing 3D printing that got coverage at SHOT this year, but I'm not remembering their names--TDS and something else...?

Until we have bolt speed measurements, the only other empirical data I'm aware of we can look at is sound measurements at the ear.  The NFATalk spreadsheet has a lot of solid data, and Modern Rifleman has put together a spreadsheet that collects the data from some of the YouTube testing but you have to be careful because some of them use the meter that isn't well-respected.
View Quote
Do you think this maxflo is better than OSS?
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you think this maxflo is better than OSS?
View Quote
I've only seen one set of meter data for the MaxFlo, in the NFATalk spreadsheet.  We should be getting more data for the new OSS products Saturday from Pete at TFB.  We need more data to answer that question.

My impression is that they are piggybacking on the sales pitch and narrative from OSS without all the baggage OSS is dragging behind it...

It would be cool if reviewers would include measurements from a cheap IR thermometer. External temperature is another data point that separates these flow-through designs from baffle designs.

ETA if you search back a few months I posted a couple neat videos about the MaxFlo product.  I think flow-through is the future, especially with what can be done with 3D printing.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The issue with the X95 is that it appears to be short stroking.  It is trying to eject and feed at the same time.  It only happens when suppressed.  It's a 15 inch barrel with the pinned sico fh.
View Quote
Sometimes excessive bolt velocity looks like that. Is there anyway to regulate gas to the piston or bleed it off?
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sometimes excessive bolt velocity looks like that. Is there anyway to regulate gas to the piston or bleed it off?
View Quote
I could maybe have the gas port drilled out a tick.  I'm already using higher power springs, which helped some but not enough.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#16]
My impression from reading a lot of user reports with the Tavor is that they are over-gassed for reliability, as seems to be common with rifles intended for wide-spread military usage.  A lot of people do stuff to plug up the areas where the gas comes out when suppressed, but I've always thought a no-backpressure suppressor was a much better comprehensive solution, if you have the choice when buying (I know a lot of people are just attaching something they already own).

I found the thread I referenced previously regarding the MaxFlo:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/NG2-MaxFlo-3D-video-explaining-internal-design/20-489753/
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 11:40:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I could maybe have the gas port drilled out a tick.  I'm already using higher power springs, which helped some but not enough.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it is excessive bolt velocity from being over-gassed drilling out the gas port into the barrel could make it worse. If there is a bleed off port, enlarging that could help.  Like I said, I am unfamiliar with the Tavor so I am grasping at straws here. One thing you could try is some lower powered ammo.  If that makes it better then it might tell you if messing with port size seems reasonable.

Do you know anyone with a Hybrid or Harvester 338 you could try?  Although longer cans can increase dwell time that offsets the larger bore effect.

Is there a Tavor forum ?
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 12:04:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If it is excessive bolt velocity from being over-gassed drilling out the gas port into the barrel could make it worse. If there is a bleed off port, enlarging that could help.  Like I said, I am unfamiliar with the Tavor so I am grasping at straws here. One thing you could try is some lower powered ammo.  If that makes it better then it might tell you if messing with port size seems reasonable.

Do you know anyone with a Hybrid or Harvester 338 you could try?  Although longer cans can increase dwell time that offsets the larger bore effect.

Is there a Tavor forum ?
View Quote
Bull pup forum... https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Bullpup-Firearms/43/
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:00:16 AM EDT
[#19]
a gassy SiCo can, who would have guessed...

That said Tavor SAR was one of the worst guns I have owned regarding blowback with a can.  Even with a SOCOM mini it was bad.  On my Aug, I hardly noticed.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 6:14:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That said Tavor SAR was one of the worst guns I have owned regarding blowback with a can.
View Quote
Agreed, my SAR & X95 gassed me out so bad unsuppressed, I sold the SAR and gave up on suppressing the X95.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#21]
My Surefire RC2 has very little additional gas.

FWIW, I bought a gemtech adjustable carrier and it does not work on the "suppressed" setting because the Surefire doesn't have enough back pressure to run it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
 With adjustable gas AR15, or piston AR180 I don't find the Omega back pressure to be that bad on 556.
View Quote
What do you think of the suppressed AR180?  
Do you have one of the originals, or is it one of the much later 180B versions with the Polymer lower?

Did you make any modifications to the AR180, or just add the Omega?

(Was thinking of trying that same combination).

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 9:44:32 AM EDT
[#23]
stupid question... why not just replace the gas block with an adjustable one... I have one on my 300 with an omega and it is sewing machine smooth

eta:  just reread and realize its not an AR - sorry
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What do you think of the suppressed AR180?  
Do you have one of the originals, or is it one of the much later 180B versions with the Polymer lower?

Did you make any modifications to the AR180, or just add the Omega?

(Was thinking of trying that same combination).

Thanks
View Quote
Mine is a Sterling. I've had it 30 years. It's a 1:12 twist so that limits you to 55 grain and lighter bullets, but it is surprusingly accurate with 52gn hollow points.  I've shot the 1:9 AR180B upper/lower as well.  That short lived model does handle heavier bullets better and you can use aftermarket triggers in the plastic lower.  I prefer the original design but if I had a plastic lower AR180B I would probably get a Nodak aluminum lower for it.

I just swapped the Armalite 3-prong FH for an ASR brake. The can does speed up bolt velocity and there is no easy way to modify/adjust with the fixed design of the piston system.  No way to add buffer weight and I haven't looked for off the shelf stronger recoil springs. But the gas isn't too bad and bolt velocity is only a problem for full auto versions where bolt bounce can result in apparent hammer follow and light primer strikes.  The stock semi trigger doesn't really lend itself to fast double taps where that would be noticed.  Gas is a little more than a well tuned AR (adj gas block or adj BC).  In hindsight I wish I had used an ASR FH but I had a spare brake. The 3-prong ASR FH looks more appropriate and the brake is loud without the can.  It's nice to have the option to put a can on it. The Omega makes it sound like shooting an unsuppressed 10/22. Port pop is enough you will want a foam plug in at least the near ear.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 9:01:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks very much for all the information on the AR180.  
I have a sterling also, and was concerned about possible damage from increased bolt speed.
Like yours, my 180 is surprisingly accurate with 50-55 gr. bullets.  With a scope, it will hold it's own against several target style AR's.
I will give it a try with the Omega or Ultra 7.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top