Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2021 1:12:52 PM EDT
Done. Used my old trust.

I'm sure many of you have been thru this.

I have an old trust created by myself (using online help) years ago. I have a bunch of NFA things in it.

Now I haven't bought anything since the new 41-P regulations (I believe that's what they were called) went into effect.

I'm now looking to pick up a couple of new cans. Do I,

1. Update the old trust (want to change a beneficiary but it's not real important) then manually do the rest of the new requirements.

2. Just create a new trust online with Silencer shop, use the kiosks for updating prints, etc.

Any advantage either way?

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you need a trust?
The biggest reason for trusts, at least initially, was the ability to efile. Now, you can efile as an individual.

How many changes do you need to make and is it worth it to keep the old trust?
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How is it non-compliant?
View Quote

Quick way of saying the extra steps needed by 41P for a trust were never done with this trust. Thought it may just be easier to do everything from scratch using the SS kiosks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do you need a trust?
The biggest reason for trusts, at least initially, was the ability to efile. Now, you can efile as an individual.

How many changes do you need to make and is it worth it to keep the old trust?
View Quote

I like the idea of the trust. Outlining beneficiaries and multiple people is a plus to me rather than the individual route.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quick way of saying the extra steps needed by 41P for a trust were never done with this trust. Thought it may just be easier to do everything from scratch using the SS kiosks.
View Quote

There is no difference between a pre and post 41 trust .......all that has changed are the (potential) multiple photo/fingerprint requirements for all the listed trustees with any new submissions/applications
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Trust rules are normally set forth by your state. If your state changed their laws on trusts, then that would be something to look at. 41F did not impose any new requirements or regulations in regards to trusts, just the application process for Form 1, Form 4, and Form 5 submissions.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I should have worded this different.

Old trust - No one listed has had the extra steps done as required by 41 whatever the hell it is.

Should I update the old one including removing one beneficiary, or start over and create a new all with SS using the kiosks to make it easier?
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I should have worded this different.

Old trust - No one listed has had the extra steps done as required by 41 whatever the hell it is.

Should I update the old one including removing one beneficiary, or start over and create a new all with SS using the kiosks to make it easier?
View Quote

There are no extra steps needed until you actually file a form 1, form 4, or Form 5. 41F did not change any trust requirements, it only changed the process for submitting a form 1, form 4, or Form 5.

Just remove the one beneficiary and move on.

Also, maybe you should read through this site -> ATF 41F
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been using the same trust since 2012.  Me as trustee and my kids as beneficiaries.  Post 41F, I just submitted my prints and photos as the trustee.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Getting people to get finger printed in the Covid era is becoming a pain in the ass.  Multiple trusts are more paperwork to keep track of but can have benefits.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Found a shop that had both cans I wanted. Bought them. Came home, amended my original trust, got it notarized. Took that paperwork in, got setup on the kiosk, the shop I bought the cans from is going to upload the trust.

Done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top