Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2020 8:34:04 PM EDT
Just got to looking at my grandfather's 870 wingmaster, it needs a good cleaning and going over but for some damned reason the mag tube is gummy.

So pulling the cap off there is not a retention cap but a flat plug.  
Any ideas oh wise sages how to get the damned thing off to clean it, or should I just take it to a gunsmith and while there have a new barrel put on?
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
The factory retaining plug was a cup-shaped split bushing with a big hole in the center.
You use a screwdriver in the center hole to gently work the cup out of the mag tube.

A flat plug is not something I've ever seen in an 870.

Take it to a gunsmith to have whatever it is extracted and buy a new steel factory cup retainer.

Remington standard barrels are total drop in, no fitting needed.  Just buy the correct barrel and install it.
Make sure to buy a compatible barrel.  
The Wingmaster and Police have a spring loaded plunger in the face of the barrel support ring.
The Express models don't have the plunger, but some Express barrels may have the hole for a plunger.

You need the correct barrel for the version gun you have or the magazine cap will unscrew itself.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Clean it buy a new retainer plug good to go.  Look up parts list on Numrich Guns parts. Thats all you need.  Also clean the whole gun , barrel , trigger group , bolt and magazine tube.  Just look at the
parts list and any normal halfway mechanical person should be able to do this.  If not take it to a gunsmith or a gun buddy that knows how to take it apart.  Godd luck

Link Posted: 11/13/2020 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Just going to clean the old gal up really good and keep her as Gramps had her.
Bought a new shotgun for HD.

Trying to find info on recrimping 3.5 shells that I ended up picking up by mistake.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Trying to find info on recrimping 3.5 shells that I ended up picking up by mistake.
View Quote

Re Crimping 3.5” shells? I have to ask why they’re open? It’s a simple crimp bushing on the press.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Not 100% sure about 12 ga, but my 20 ga has the flat plug.  It's held in by tension and as already mentioned, just use a screwdriver to lever it up a little at a time until it comes all the way out.  Remember to watch out for the spring as it's under tension.  Then when I put it back in I just turn the screwdriver around and use the back of the handle to push it back down.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Re Crimping 3.5” shells? I have to ask why they’re open? It’s a simple crimp bushing on the press.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guessing he plans to take 3.5" shells & "cut them down" to 2 3/4" or 3" size and "recrimp" them.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Guessing he plans to take 3.5" shells & "cut them down" to 2 3/4" or 3" size and "recrimp" them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that’s the case, it’s not a good idea on many levels, the least of which is the economics. OP, just buy that shells made for your gun. I don’t see any good coming out of trying to modify 3.5” shells.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If that’s the case, it’s not a good idea on many levels, the least of which is the economics. OP, just buy that shells made for your gun. I don’t see any good coming out of trying to modify 3.5” shells.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, whole lot easier, not to mention safer to trade the 3.5s to a waterfowler for 2.75 or 3 inch. I'd trade 1.5 to 1 short for long factory shells to someone in my area looking to swap, OP should be able to find someone willing to do similar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top