Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2022 3:22:02 PM EDT
I have a couple of old suppressors made by Gemtech - the model M4 96D.  I have one that I used a little bit and one that was never used and is new in the box.  I never liked the design and it is heavy as hell, weighing 25 oz.  I have one AR with the Gemtech "bilock" mount, but I don't see that carried on their web site and wonder if they stopped making the mount.

So what to do with two unlikable and largely unusable suppressors?  I feel sure they have no resale value to anybody, I don't like to use them, and on top of everything else, I have two.  

Write the BATF and just abandon them, saw them in half and throw them out?  Or is there somebody who can rebuild them and make some useful suppressor out of the tube?

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Time to contact ECCO
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The Gemtech Bi-Lock mounts are still available. I'm kinda partial to the Smith Vortex model.

SEI Vortex

I would have considered  buying them if they were in-state.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Where is the serial number? Middle of the can, lengthwise?

Maybe ECCO machine @sixtysixdeuce can help you shave some weight and get a modern mount.
I imagine that to be several hundred dollars if not close to a grand.

Guess it depends on if the approved stamp means anything to you?

I’d plasma cut it and jingle mail it to martinsburg out of spite and buy a modern can and eFile a stamp
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I am in kinda in the same boat with an M496-D that was "upgraded" to G5 baffle stack.  I also have a TPRS that might as well be crew served.   My answer was to keep them for future "low use" builds.  Everybody needs an M4 in Arctic Camo, especially me in the piedmont of North Carolina where we see about 3 inches of snow a year.  The TPRS, which had/has a POI shift that totally sucks ass will live on a bolt gun in something like 300 Win Mag where weight isn't necessarily a bad thing.  

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#5]
List them, there's a buyer for anything.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a bunch of old cans that I've been having Curtis Tactical re-core to something I want.
I have an old Gemtech M496C aka Predator.  It is a heavy beast and rather than pay to have it re-cored, I just had Curtis Tactical jail break it so now it is user serviceable and use it for full auto 22LR use.  So I don't care if it gets fouled up as there is no aluminum in that design and I can push the steel baffles out and dump them in my ultrasonic filled with 100% CLR and they clean up great.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Rainy day cache on a psa AR?
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd build up a nice 22-250 bolt-action for one to be dedicated to and get on the waiting list for ECCO to rework the other into something more useable for a short 5.56 gun.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd build up a nice 22-250 bolt-action for one to be dedicated to and get on the waiting list for ECCO to rework the other into something more useable for a short 5.56 gun.
View Quote

This is a good idea
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd build up a nice 22-250 bolt-action for one to be dedicated to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'd build up a nice 22-250 bolt-action for one to be dedicated to.

Quoted:
Rainy day cache on a psa AR?

Two decent ideas
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Contact ECCO Machine.  I have a M496D that I had them convert the mount to the universal thread and now I mount Dead Air Keymo setup.  Best thing I ever did and it breathed new life into a can I rarely used due to the mount.

Do it!!!!  You will not be sorry!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:54:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Contact ECCO Machine.  I have a M496D that I had them convert the mount to the universal thread and now I mount Dead Air Keymo setup.  Best thing I ever did and it breathed new life into a can I rarely used due to the mount.

Do it!!!!  You will not be sorry!!
View Quote

$450 and it’s still heavy as hell?

$700ish gets you new and skinny
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:36:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Add some nephews to your trust, place the cans w/ them.  Be a vector - spread the quiet disease.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:00:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Add some nephews to your trust, place the cans w/ them.  Be a vector - spread the quiet disease.
View Quote

That's a fantastic idea.

Or buy one of the Smith mounts mentioned above. Throw them on a couple bench guns and go about your business. Trashing or destroying these two suppressors is just silly.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the same problem with an old Coastal MIMS can and a SWR PCK2. Trying to find something to utilize them on to no avail.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#16]
OP...

If you need a second bi-lok mount, Ive probably got some in the parts bin that I really dont use since Ive long switched to more modern cans for moving from gun to gun.  Lemme know and I can send ya one.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OP...

If you need a second bi-lok mount, Ive probably got some in the parts bin that I really dont use since Ive long switched to more modern cans for moving from gun to gun.  Lemme know and I can send ya one.
View Quote

Bi-Lock mounts for the Gemtech cans are currently available from GSL Technology (517-780-9090).
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#18]
There's nothing wrong with the bi-lock mounting system. It's just not the new hotness anymore. But if you are already running it, there's no reason to abandon it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There's nothing wrong with the bi-lock mounting system. It's just not the new hotness anymore. But if you are already running it, there's no reason to abandon it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#20]
You could give them to poor people in Virginia that can't afford suppressors.

Or just fellow Virginians that want suppressors.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#21]
get them pinned to some bolt guns for an overall barrel length of 16"?
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Any serial number tied to a tax stamp is always worth something.  Maybe wait if/until cans go down the same path as MGs…
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 2:08:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not conducive to accuracy due to the requisite tolerances of a non-threaded, untapered mount (A2 mounts and some others have the same drawback), and they tend to get stuck.  I've cut off more than a few for Bravo conversion that had muzzle devices locked into them hard, had to be split in half to recover the MD.  Also seen a number of collapsed and broken springs, as well as the seating piece stuck with carbon to where it wouldn't apply pressure anymore, they just flopped around on the MD.

So yeah, my professional opinion is that Bi-Lock is NOT a good mounting system.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 4:01:58 AM EDT
[#25]
I had my gemtech halo changed to bravo mount by eco. I’ll shoot ir for awhile than eventually have them recore with a lighter option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top