Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2018 9:55:08 PM EDT
I apologize if this has been asked recently. I looked and didn't see anything.  The stickies are all from 2015.

I live in the boonies. No internet other than a capped data plan on our cell phones. No cable or internet (cable or wireless) is available where I live. I'm looking at security cameras, but have no idea what is good, and what to stay away from. Any good suggestions for a good setup for this scenario?  I'm assuming I'll need a DVR system.  I'll need at least 4 cameras - preferably 6 or more. I'm in the process of building an addition now, so running cables won't be a big problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You can still do WiFi Camera's if you have an Router/AP for LAN and a computer to store the data on. Just know that you do not have anyway to access it since you do not have any HSI at home. Basically you would have a DVR camera system.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretend you're talking to an idiot who knows very little about these things. (Because you are)  Could you point me toward a specific system to look at?  I have no idea how to set up a router, or even why I would need to, if the cameras are going to a DVR.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:10:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Wi-Fi can be used to connect things without going to the internet. Wi-Fi is just a radio based substitute for cables.

Even without an internet connection, a Wi-Fi router can be the "glue" that holds the system together.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Older article, but maybe helpful

Cnet- local vs cloud security cams
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:42:24 PM EDT
[#5]
im using a samsung one from amazon. Its a 4 channel dvr, but they have an 8 option (all with camera/hardware). the camera quality is good, and you can set it to the highest 1080. It has an option to watch the feed online but its not required since its all hard wired. just 2 wires per camera - 1 for the video, 1 for the power. you can adjust how sensitive each camera is to motion by selecting each camera feed, and clicking on a grid to select areas to ignore (like trees that constantly swing). You just need a monitor, everything else is provided. But if you do end up wanting the internet capability, you need to get a dongle (a receiver for wifi) and it connects to a usb port. It auto detects the light and will turn to night mode when its dark (IR lights encircle the camera lens) I think the dvr has 1 TB of internal memory, and you can add a hard drive to backup recorded video. And you can set any/all cameras to motion detection, or on a schedule, and once the dvr is full it will loop record, so it will erase the oldest files for the newest ones. setting it up was really easy, the 2 wires are together so its just one flat wire with 2 connections on each end. I ran the wires, popped the connections together, and plugged in the wires, the mouse that came with it, and monitor to the dvr and it was working. samsung sdh-B73040
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 12:01:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 12:56:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Same here. Won't even think of anything else...
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:22:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys!  This gives me someplace to start!
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#9]
My house is in the same situation as yours. We use a Verizon Jetpack and our phones for internet service. We have two Lorex NVR’s. Both connect to a router so that our computers can access the video feeds via our cellphones when in the house, or to the computers. The NVR’s don’t have wireless capabilities so they can’t use the jetpack to connect to the internet.

Connected through the network allows us to merge both NVR’s together for our computer clients. That way we aren’t limited to a rigid 1, 4, 8, 9, 16, 32 squares for displaying the videos.

The Lorex 4K resolution cameras are incredible. Their night vision is some of the best I’ve ever seen. You don’t need any exterior lighting for them to function. I have one working in 100% darkness inside a shed, and it sees as plain as day. There isn’t even starlight in there. You can read the information off the boxes of primers sitting on the shelf.

I’d run some ENT in the walls with pull box ports. Then route the conduit to where you want cameras now and possibly in the future. Don’t limit yourself to just cameras on the side of the house. Make a down spout and take the conduit underground to the road. Capturing license plates is far more valuable than a face.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My house is in the same situation as yours. We use a Verizon Jetpack and our phones for internet service. We have two Lorex NVR’s. Both connect to a router so that our computers can access the video feeds via our cellphones when in the house, or to the computers. The NVR’s don’t have wireless capabilities so they can’t use the jetpack to connect to the internet.

Connected through the network allows us to merge both NVR’s together for our computer clients. That way we aren’t limited to a rigid 1, 4, 8, 9, 16, 32 squares for displaying the videos.

The Lorex 4K resolution cameras are incredible. Their night vision is some of the best I’ve ever seen. You don’t need any exterior lighting for them to function. I have one working in 100% darkness inside a shed, and it sees as plain as day. There isn’t even starlight in there. You can read the information off the boxes of primers sitting on the shelf.
https://i.imgur.com/jhB8SN8.jpg

I’d run some ENT in the walls with pull box ports. Then route the conduit to where you want cameras now and possibly in the future. Don’t limit yourself to just cameras on the side of the house. Make a down spout and take the conduit underground to the road. Capturing license plates is far more valuable than a face.
View Quote
I see a Ouija board in there...  

What goes on in that shed??
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/jhB8SN8.jpg

View Quote
You can buy a Verizon 4G router to replace your jet pack.  Works like a normal router that uses the cellular connection. Has couple ethernet ports on it to plug your system into.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top