Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2021 9:15:42 PM EDT
Guys can I use a standard sight with my nm match rear sight? I want to replace the nm match with a standard sight but want to keep the adjustments.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Guys can I use a standard sight with my nm match rear sight? I want to replace the nm match with a standard sight but want to keep the adjustments.
View Quote

The rear aperture can be changed for a regular one.

The hooded NM aperture rotates for half minute elevation adjustments.

The NM base with the NM knobs are usually threaded 64 tpi for half minute windage adjustments.

Some commercial Springfield NM bases have standard, non-NM 32 tpi threads and use a detent ball for half minute adjustments..

The teeth on the aperture should be the same and interchangeable for all of them.

There might be a tight fit in the NM base, either by design or from peening for a tight fit.

You won't have half minute elevation adjustments, but with a NM base and knob, you'll still have half minute windage adjustments.

The standard aperture will give you one minute elevation adjustments.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok thank you
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#3]
my Springfield receiver has the Air Force modification allowing 1/2 MOA adj with 32 tpi.  My NM parts are 64 tpi so it goes unused.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Aftermarket NM sight bases aren't usually as good as GI. I think the GI bases were forged, the knock-offs probably aren't.

These parts used to be common and available, not any more.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aftermarket NM sight bases aren't usually as good as GI. I think the GI bases were forged, the knock-offs probably aren't.

These parts used to be common and available, not any more.
View Quote

Around 1985, investment cast NM sight bases started being accepted by the military for shooting team use.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top