Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2018 2:36:30 AM EDT
I'm curious if any of you have suggestions on a good quick access nightstand safe. I have a little one at home that is now very mobile and I want to make sure she doesn't get into anything. Specifically I'd like something that would be able to fit a G19 with an Omega 9K attached (should be just under 12" if my math is correct). This narrows my choices down a bit. I've looked around for ideas online, and have only come up with potential models by looking at safe dimensions. Vaultek's VTI series looks like it would be long enough. Are there any other brands and/or models that any of you would recommend? Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#1]
In on this. Have a little guy who's going to start moving soon, and have to get ideas as well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Interested.

Several times I wanted to get something that I could lock up a handgun next to my bed vs. leaving it on the nightstand or in the drawer.

I want something that is quick and easy for me to get into it should the need arise, yet something that a burglar can't rip off the wall, floor or wherever it is mounted to, to take it elsewhere to bust open.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#3]
This (Fas1) seemed to be the consensus the other day...when a very similar thread popped up.

I'm gonna order one myself once the remodel of our house is wrapped up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This (Fas1) seemed to be the consensus the other day...when a very similar thread popped up.

View Quote
Same here.

The little one is mobile now and starting to open drawers. Time to make sure the CCW and nightstand gun is properly secured.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Jus curious, What are you going to mount it too? Bed Rail, Wall, Floor, Nightstand???
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Jus curious, What are you going to mount it too? Bed Rail, Wall, Floor, Nightstand???
View Quote
@smullen

I'm hoping there's a stud in the wall close to where I need it.  If not, I'll try a floor joist.  All else fails I'll secure the bed frame to either of those (wall or floor joist) and then the safe to the bed frame.  If I end up not liking that idea then I'll find another spot.  This safe is ancillary to other measures in place.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#7]
My faves are the Hornady RapidSafe variants.

They use an RFID tag for opening. No fumbling around with button presses while adrenaline is flooding your half-asleep brain awakened by a noise. Just place the RFID tag/bracelet over/on the pad and it pops open.

There are pistol versions (which are NOT big enough to hold a pistol with attached suppressor), and an AR version, which fits great under a standard bedframe, and can hold a fullsize AR (or suppressed SBR).

The safes come with several tags and a bracelet.

For non-suppressed EDC pistols, the easiest/safest way to use one is as such:
- put an RFID tag in your wallet. Keep the RFID bracelet in the safe when the gun isn't in it.
- bedtime, use wallet RFID to open safe, put bracelet on wrist, pistol in safe. Wallet with RFID tag somewhere little ones can't get to it (or put wallet RFID tag in the safe with the pistol). If there's a bump-in-the-night, slap wrist with bracelet on safe, it pops open, and you're ready to go
- when you wake up and it's time to remove the EDC pistol, remove pistol, take bracelet off wrist and pop it in the safe and close it.
- extra RFID tags go in standard gun safe

This way, there's no chance of anyone else getting their hands on one of the RFID tags, which might allow them to open the safe, and you won't misplace the RFID tags/bracelet.

Multiple safes can be programmed to use the same RFID tags, so you could have both a nightstand handgun safe, as well as a closet or under bed AR safe that open with the same RFID tags. You can also get (and program) additional tags/bracelets for your SO to also be able to access the safes.

Safes can also be opened with a button code or a key (keep the keys in the regular safe).

P.S.
With little ones around, I wouldn't recommend the 'RFID sticker on the back of the phone' bit. Little ones like playing with phones and iPads. Too much risk they might grab that and inadvertently put it on the safe, opening it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can lay it on the floor next to the bed, wall, or nightstand, and secure it via cable or chain.  Or you can direct bolt to something.  I opted to use a cable.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a liberty, with four buttons on top. Very well built, and I like it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you all for the replies! That gives me a few more options to choose from!
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I have a speed vault combo. 4 buttons set to what you want. If you screw the combo it alarms. Also a key backup and integrated light (battery for keypad, alarm, and light) screwed into an ikea $50 nightstand. Its peace of mind when I have anyone over and I have to put the little guy away that stays next to the nightstand

Edit. Just saw can attached. Disregard.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm curious if any of you have suggestions on a good quick access nightstand safe. I have a little one at home that is now very mobile and I want to make sure she doesn't get into anything. Specifically I'd like something that would be able to fit a G19 with an Omega 9K attached (should be just under 12" if my math is correct). This narrows my choices down a bit. I've looked around for ideas online, and have only come up with potential models by looking at safe dimensions. Vaultek's VTI series looks like it would be long enough. Are there any other brands and/or models that any of you would recommend? Thank you!
View Quote
That looks like a nice size package for a suppressed handgun. As some have mentioned here (THANKs GUYS!), the FAS1-SBD will certainly work well for you, but it is pretty big since it was designed with full size guns/silencers in mind.

I saw where you said the total OAL should be just under 12" and I thought about a package I put together to see if a Maxim 9 would fit. Here's a video that was shot by Jorge at Capitol Armory several months back (I don't know how to embed it on this site).

FAS1-Magnum XL with Maxim 9

The Maxim 9 in the long configuration is 10.75" long and it fit great. The safe itself is really designed for 6" barreled revolvers that measure 11-3/4" maximum length with a different holster. This safe is 15-3/4" long and the FAS1-SBD is 21-3/4" long. You need a couple inches of extra length for the grip to clear when the door swings open.

If you want to confirm the length of your weapon, I would be glad to see if it would fit this setup. I know it will be close. I have used it for a customer with a G26/Gemtech Aurora, but that's quite a bit smaller and I had no concerns about it.

Glenn
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 8:11:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My faves are the Hornady RapidSafe variants.

They use an RFID tag for opening. No fumbling around with button presses while adrenaline is flooding your half-asleep brain awakened by a noise. Just place the RFID tag/bracelet over/on the pad and it pops open.

There are pistol versions (which are NOT big enough to hold a pistol with attached suppressor), and an AR version, which fits great under a standard bedframe, and can hold a fullsize AR (or suppressed SBR).

The safes come with several tags and a bracelet.

For non-suppressed EDC pistols, the easiest/safest way to use one is as such:
- put an RFID tag in your wallet. Keep the RFID bracelet in the safe when the gun isn't in it.
- bedtime, use wallet RFID to open safe, put bracelet on wrist, pistol in safe. Wallet with RFID tag somewhere little ones can't get to it (or put wallet RFID tag in the safe with the pistol). If there's a bump-in-the-night, slap wrist with bracelet on safe, it pops open, and you're ready to go
- when you wake up and it's time to remove the EDC pistol, remove pistol, take bracelet off wrist and pop it in the safe and close it.
- extra RFID tags go in standard gun safe

This way, there's no chance of anyone else getting their hands on one of the RFID tags, which might allow them to open the safe, and you won't misplace the RFID tags/bracelet.

Multiple safes can be programmed to use the same RFID tags, so you could have both a nightstand handgun safe, as well as a closet or under bed AR safe that open with the same RFID tags. You can also get (and program) additional tags/bracelets for your SO to also be able to access the safes.

Safes can also be opened with a button code or a key (keep the keys in the regular safe).

P.S.
With little ones around, I wouldn't recommend the 'RFID sticker on the back of the phone' bit. Little ones like playing with phones and iPads. Too much risk they might grab that and inadvertently put it on the safe, opening it.
View Quote
I've been using one of these for the last 6 months or so and I really like it.  I probably use the rfid and keypad equal amounts and both work well and reliably.  When I was researching it got good reviews as far as being able to bypass the locks or somehow jimmy it open too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Check out VAULTEK
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Check out VAULTEK
View Quote
This. Have mine bolted inside of my nightstand with G17, X300 and an extra mag. Great battery life as well.  No doubt can be broken into with enough time and tools but perfect deterrent with a 4 year old
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#16]
+1 for FAS1
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I was wondering if anyone successfully mounted a FAS1 to a bed frame. I have one in my closet for two guns but want another mounted to my bed frame. I can’t drill and mount to the wood floor.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was wondering if anyone successfully mounted a FAS1 to a bed frame. I have one in my closet for two guns but want another mounted to my bed frame. I can’t drill and mount to the wood floor.
View Quote
That's one of the most popular ways people mount them. You can see some customer photos here and get some ideas how people are mounting them. Vertically, horizontally and even standing on end.

http://www.fas1safe.com/photos.html
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 4:32:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm in a similar situation as we just got approved to be foster parents. Everything is in the gun room in the basement except our carry guns.  I'd like to find something to store 1 or 2 long guns along with our carry guns upstairs without getting a full sized gun safe.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 12:19:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm in a similar situation as we just got approved to be foster parents. Everything is in the gun room in the basement except our carry guns.  I'd like to find something to store 1 or 2 long guns along with our carry guns upstairs without getting a full sized gun safe.
View Quote
VLine or Ft Knox both have small rifle simplex boxes :

Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Check out Eureka safes. I have one and couldn't be happier, it is a basic key lock (a plus for me). Made in the USA and not Chinese junk...

www.eurekasafes.com

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Check out VAULTEK
View Quote
I'm looking for something similar to this except a little bigger. My wife wants a little safe for her two CCW pieces.

Problem is, we need one that will hold two handguns with their holsters if at all possible.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a nice digital safe in my nightstand drawer. Oddly enough, my G23 is typically laying on it, not in it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I got a Field and Stream box from sams club for like $69.  4 buttons and it has a small red lght on it.  Nothing to secure it, but it’s empty unless I’m sleeping/home.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have it. Great safe!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top