Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2021 11:26:09 PM EDT
I really like nickel boron on suppressed guns.  Carbon just wipes off.

I would like to get my Marlin 1894 357 done with nickel boron.  I’ve used CCR in the past with great results.  I’ve been emailing them back and forth and Mary (of CCR) told me they can NOT accommodate any single piece longer than 17 inches.  So they are declining the 1894.

Last time I had something done with them was over 5 years ago, so I don’t know if there is something better out now (for roughly the same price point).

I’m open to anything that has that slick feeling and allows carbon to simply slide off.

Please make suggestions on a coating and where you’d get it done.  I want more than a simple cerakote finish and am open to whatever as long as its slick slick slick (and durable).
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#1]
If nickel boron is your number one choice, contact WMD Guns in Florida.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#2]
There's also NP3 plating, I've seen rifles don' that way and it worked out well. If you can't find someone to do the whole thing you might consider disassembling the rifle and sending just the receiver and whatever action parts you want done. You could possibly Cerakote the barrel to a respectable color match, or as a deliberate two-tone.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's also NP3 plating, I've seen rifles don' that way and it worked out well. If you can't find someone to do the whole thing you might consider disassembling the rifle and sending just the receiver and whatever action parts you want done. You could possibly Cerakote the barrel to a respectable color match, or as a deliberate two-tone.
View Quote

That is another option I was thinking about.

As far as I know, NP3 is a Robar exclusive.  I lived in Phoenix when Robar changed hands.  I will stick with nickel boron over NP3.

The outer coating of the barrel and ammo tube in nickel boron is only cosmetic, so cerakote is a great option for those parts.

I’ll contact WMD as well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#4]
WMD is not doing individual guns at this time.  

We suspended our upgrade program last year and do not have a date yet for relaunch.  As soon as we know when we are able to accept individual firearms and parts for coating we will announce the relaunch on our website and our social media.

Thank you for your interest in WMD.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#5]
You might want to query UCT Coatings.  They are Failzero.  I don't know if they do individual one offs.  If not, they might be able to point you to a subcontractor.

The other option, that I'm getting ready to try on a couple receiver sets and hand guards, is IA Coatings, 16310 Hollister St, Houston, TX 77066.  They have a really interesting coating process named "Blackstone Plus 3."   They offer a reasonable dealer discount, if you are an FFL.  IM me for contact info if you would like to get an idea on pricing.  And, they do one offs.

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Robar did not own the NP3 process, they just made it popular for firearm use. So they acted as a middle man for Coating Technologies. Unfortunately Coating Technologies won’t deal with individuals. However there are shops like Wright Armory in Mesa Arizona that can send the parts in for you. They’re basically the new Robar.

The process is not cheap and it takes many months. I’d be hesitant to use their gunsmiths to do the disassembly and reassembly. There have been some horror stories involving Benelli M4’s. It was made right in the end, but it did not instill confidence in their abilities. If all they have to do is plate parts and send them back to you, it is pretty safe. In the case I saw, they sent the gun back with a bag of extra parts and the ARGO gas system installed incorrectly.

NP3 is thinner than nickel boron and has less tolerance stacking issues. The performance is superior with the base Teflon embedded in the finish.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Robar did not own the NP3 process, they just made it popular for firearm use. So they acted as a middle man for Coating Technologies. Unfortunately Coating Technologies won't deal with individuals. However there are shops like Wright Armory in Mesa Arizona that can send the parts in for you. They're basically the new Robar.

The process is not cheap and it takes many months. I'd be hesitant to use their gunsmiths to do the disassembly and reassembly. There have been some horror stories involving Benelli M4's. It was made right in the end, but it did not instill confidence in their abilities. If all they have to do is plate parts and send them back to you, it is pretty safe. In the case I saw, they sent the gun back with a bag of extra parts and the ARGO gas system installed incorrectly.

NP3 is thinner than nickel boron and has less tolerance stacking issues. The performance is superior with the base Teflon embedded in the finish.
View Quote

Interesting.  Thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top