Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2024 1:29:29 PM EDT
I have a Service Grade Garand that’s my most favoritest gun. I’ve kicked around taking it on a RnG but the stock is original and in great shape.

Do I just buy another CMP Rack Grade to beat up?
Do I buy another CMP Service Grade and have one to use and one to keep in better shape?
Do I just get a Dupage stock?
Finally, just use it. Honest wear is best wear.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Pics would help here TBH. It depends on what you mean by original? Like the older service grades I could see babying at times but the more recent ones I would just shoot as is. Replacement stocks are pretty cheap though.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RedFox1911:
Pics would help here TBH. It depends on what you mean by original? Like the older service grades I could see babying at times but the more recent ones I would just shoot as is. Replacement stocks are pretty cheap though.
View Quote

Ah, good point. By original I meant it came from rebuild with it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Granted, someone might think that’s nothing special and not a good looking rifle. They’d be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm confused about the question here. The stock is fine, shoot it.

Adding additional rifles is usually not a bad thing.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By King_Mud:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172095/IMG_8145_jpeg-3133502.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172095/IMG_8146_jpeg-3133503.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172095/IMG_8147_jpeg-3133504.JPG

Granted, someone might think that’s nothing special and not a good looking rifle. They’d be wrong.
View Quote

It does look good but it doesn't seem special. It depends how hard of a run and gun you go to. Many probably wouldn't mess up the stock at all.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless you plan on storming Normandy Beach with it unless you really want another M1 Garand I would just shoot that as you want. If the barrel is fine, stock looks nice and with CMP being a tad hit or miss getting a better one from them is a crap shoot.

I've been in sort of the same boat, I have a nice "expert" here I had tweaked by Fulton Armory but kind of want a Service Grade. I don't plan on shooting more than 200-300 rounds a year out of what I have now, so spending $900 bucks on a 2nd that would be a safe queen seems redundant right now

I doubt I'm getting a prettier one than this unless I drive to CMP North and pick one out myself. And I can't do that before summer with work and by then odds are they'll be out of them
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#7]

It does look good but it doesn't seem special. It depends how hard of a run and gun you go to. Many probably wouldn't mess up the stock at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By King_Mud:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172095/IMG_8145_jpeg-3133502.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172095/IMG_8146_jpeg-3133503.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172095/IMG_8147_jpeg-3133504.JPG

Exactly, it's not something that couldn't be replaced in the gravest extreme.  I understand nobody wants to ugly up a rifle they're proud of.  Just handle it accordingly when you take it out to shoot and resolve in advance to not take any chances.  Handling and shooting it won't harm anything.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 6:26:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 03RN] [#8]
Dude, if was used to fight across Europe or hopped from island to island killing japs for YEARS.

You little game isn't going to hurt a thing.

Eta, I'm not denigrating the shooting sports,  I let my M1 do my typing for me
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Dude, if was used to fight across Europe or hopped from island to island killing japs for YEARS.

You little game isn't going to hurt a thing.

Eta, I'm not denigrating the shooting sports,  I let my M1 do my typing for me
View Quote

Nah, I get ya. That’s pretty much where I was anyway. It’s been through at least 1 rebuild so it’s not irreplaceable. I’ll maintain it but ice, dirt, mud, or blood won’t break it.
I need to find a M1923 though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:06:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: captain127] [#10]
A rebuild stock which from your pictures looks to not have a cartouche run it with no worries.

Before I moved to free America I lived in NY and hung around until after the horrendous safe act was passed, making AR’s near impossible. ( after safe act- and it has only gotten worse - the only legal way to have a full featured AR was to register it with the state, no longer transferable to anyone else in the state, or neuter it with a spur grip or thordsen stock either way, 10 round max mag capacity no matter how old your magazines were no grandfathering ) so I figured I’d do my 3 gun matches with an M1- only losing 2 rounds of capacity and I had tons of 30/06 reloaded for it and had a near endless supply of en-blocs
Only problem was as the only guy running a full power rifle, I kept breaking all the targets - perforating steel , splintering bowling pins and other mayhem
I didn’t worry at all about dinging up my rifle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top