Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2023 8:28:29 PM EDT
Just picked up this model 70 featherweight compact 308, it’s a newer imported model, 3 years old. This was the first newer one I’ve ever handled and I’m really impressed with the quality. Fit, finish and the action is really smooth with a great trigger.

I’ve owned a few older Winchester’s, all post 64 and this one IMO is nicer in every way. Haven’t shot it yet but very impressed with the quality.

Link Posted: 3/11/2023 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Still one of the most handsome rifles ever made.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 8:46:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still one of the most handsome rifles ever made.
View Quote

They really are nice looking rifles. I was looking for an older US made one then came across this locally at a great price. I was really impressed with the quality so I couldn’t pass it up.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The new Model 70s are amazing rifles.  Great fit and finish, high quality, really smooth actions.  Only thing I wish they'd have done is kept the cold hammer forged barrels.  Aside from a couple models most are button rifled.

But that's a beautiful rifle OP.  I wish I'd have kept some of the newer Model 70s I have owned.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The new Winchester model 70 are great rifles. I have four, two are featherweights, one in 7mm08 and the other in 243Win.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Been looking for one of those for almost two years now.  Always out of stock, no back order.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been looking for one of those for almost two years now.  Always out of stock, no back order.
View Quote

I lucked into this one locally.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just picked up this model 70 featherweight compact 308, it’s a newer imported model, 3 years old. This was the first newer one I’ve ever handled and I’m really impressed with the quality. Fit, finish and the action is really smooth with a great trigger.

I’ve owned a few older Winchester’s, all post 64 and this one IMO is nicer in every way. Haven’t shot it yet but very impressed with the quality.

https://i.postimg.cc/3wYjPxS8/D88371-F3-8-F2-B-418-D-ABB6-9-D1687218197.jpg
View Quote

I bought a 1895 carbine back in 2006 when they rereleased them, and I wasn’t impressed with the wood at all considering how much it cost. But I would not pass on a model 70 in .375 if i can ever find one new in that caliber. I never see new winchesters in the shops anymore.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 4:56:58 PM EDT
[#8]
The new ones are top notch...
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a left handed one in 7mm WSM. It is super accurate with handloads. Might be my nicest looking rifle.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Where is it imported from? Japan? Portugal?
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I love the new Model 70s. They really are well made.  

I do wish they would go back to the old trigger. It was mechanically superior, if less easy to tune.  I also miss the old red stock finishes. The new brown isn’t the same. It’s still really nice, just looks too Browning.  

My only issue is that the last couple of featherweight rifles I bought have the barrel sitting off centre in the barrel channel…slightly touching down the left side.  I think this is a bedding issue as you really need to tape the barrel when bedding to center it in the channel. Otherwise, tightening it can shift it to the side.  I assume that’s what happened, but I don’t know how to address it as their bedding has cured.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I absolutely love my new mod 70’s.  Fantastic trigger, hybrid CRF, and probably the best looking rifle sub $2k on the market.Attachment Attached File

My model 70 Alaskan, I also have a 30-06 featherweight that’s great too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top