Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2020 5:55:15 PM EDT
A guy who is active duty military and stationed here brought me an AR lower receiver and some parts to build him a rifle. When I log it in my A&D book I know the dispossession is "to original owner." For for acquisition do I just list his name and his out of state driver's license info and his current in state address? Thank you
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Your type 7 FFL right?
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Correct, however a 01 can do this as well since parts and just being assemble and not actual fabrication of parts are being constructed
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Roger that, IOI told me just to build from parts received, a FFL has to be a type 7. That being said, I bring it (as receiver) in to myself (FFL) and disposition is build/manufacture. After build, issue to customer name/address/phone. He gave you the lower receiver, so the 4473 ain't even a question.

By the way, MCRD San Diego 1980
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Roger that, IOI told me just to build from parts received, a FFL has to be a type 7. That being said, I bring it (as receiver) in to myself (FFL) and disposition is build/manufacture. After build, issue to customer name/address/phone. He gave you the lower receiver, so the 4473 ain't even a question.

By the way, MCRD San Diego 1980
View Quote

ATF told me a 01 can assemble parts for a customer as a gunsmith project and 07 is only needed when actually making parts and manufacturing firearms. Assembling an AR is not manufacturing in the eyes of the ATF. This was last week when I was asking them for guidance

Semper Fi. 10 years infantry 4 pumps
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A guy who is active duty military and stationed here brought me an AR lower receiver and some parts to build him a rifle. When I log it in my A&D book I know the dispossession is "to original owner." For for acquisition do I just list his name and his out of state driver's license info and his current in state address? Thank you
View Quote

Correct if he supplies the parts, it is gunsmithing. His name/address in/out.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Roger that, IOI told me just to build from parts received, a FFL has to be a type 7.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Roger that, IOI told me just to build from parts received, a FFL has to be a type 7.

Parts received from customer is gunsmithing. Parts received from distributor for resale is MFG.

Quoted:
He gave you the lower receiver, so the 4473 ain't even a question.

Curious what you think the answer is, since IOI gave you wrong info on build.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:30:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Correct if he supplies the parts, it is gunsmithing. His name/address in/out.
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Parts received from customer is gunsmithing. Parts received from distributor for resale is MFG.

Curious what you think the answer is, since IOI gave you wrong info on build.
View Quote

If I purchase Lower's (with my design/Business name) and build all into rifle/pistol's, he says its manufacturing. Now, that was when we first got our FFL 07 back in 2013. I got stationed in Germany since Sep 2013. Now I'm back and I'll be starting again. Are there changes that I don't know about?
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If I purchase Lower's (with my design/Business name) and build all into rifle/pistol's, he says its manufacturing. Now, that was when we first got our FFL 07 back in 2013. I got stationed in Germany since Sep 2013. Now I'm back and I'll be starting again. Are there changes that I don't know about?
View Quote

I was referring to this -> "He gave you the lower receiver, so the 4473 ain't even a question."

There is no 4473 to return a gun to a customer. Was wondering if he told you you had to.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was referring to this -> "He gave you the lower receiver, so the 4473 ain't even a question."

There is no 4473 to return a gun to a customer. Was wondering if he told you you had to.
View Quote

Yea, I made have said it different.

Me as an FFL received some parts from a customer, and he/she ask me to put them together, a 4473 is not needed. No the IOI didn't tell me I had to do a 4473 in this instance. He was referring me as an FFL who has my own receivers, and stock of parts on hand in our shop, a customer comes in and wants to purchase a BAD-15, I build a rifle, in this case I would have to do a 4473.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Renegade,

Question then regarding this particular situation, would either of these particular situations require FAET?  I understand if I manufactured the receiver that it would be necessary, but in this particular scenario, if I purchased the "finished" receiver would it be required?
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Renegade,

Question then regarding this particular situation, would either of these particular situations require FAET?  I understand if I manufactured the receiver that it would be necessary, but in this particular scenario, if I purchased the "finished" receiver would it be required?
View Quote

Gunsmithing is not subject to FAET. But if you assemble from parts you bought, you are MFG and FAET is in play.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top