Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2017 11:24:48 AM EDT
Picked up a Pietta 1860 Army a few years ago and just got around to messing with it.  It came with a starter kit and CCI No. 10 caps.

a) The percussion caps seem to be ridiculously hard to get on
b) Test firing just with the caps on, they don't ignite until the second or third attempt.  I'm thinking that the first hit is seating the cap better on the nipple?

Should I try no. 11 caps?  Any advice?
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 2:29:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
... The caps must be seated firmly against the nipple. .
View Quote
They definitely don't do that.  I'll pick up some No. 11's and give them a go.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Bought new?

If it was used, it's possible that dryfire has mushroomed the nipples.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:10:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#5]
That is just a lot of good messy fun figuring out how to load and shoot one of those things.

Unfortunately I've not bought a new one but I've gotten fairly cheap ones that have been bubbaed
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Picked up a Pietta 1860 Army a few years ago and just got around to messing with it.  It came with a starter kit and CCI No. 10 caps.

a) The percussion caps seem to be ridiculously hard to get on
b) Test firing just with the caps on, they don't ignite until the second or third attempt.  I'm thinking that the first hit is seating the cap better on the nipple?

Should I try no. 11 caps?  Any advice?
View Quote

It finally took a combination of Slix-Shot nipples, Remington No. 10's and a little leather wedge behind the mainspring to give the hammer more force. (found that suggestion on a black powder board somewhere else)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top