Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2018 2:00:22 PM EDT
Ive got an anniversary edition SD model I need a new barrel for. I built it up as soon as I got it, so I had not been shopping for parts, nor kept up with the news that ATI dropped them-

Anyone know where I can get a replacement barrel?

@ATICSR_Christopher
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 10:40:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok...that will still be my best bet, I guess...I can't find one anywhere else! Can I get on a wait list or a notification?
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Any update?
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 6:10:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I have needed a new barrel for ever. Mine rusted years ago and I was never able to get a new one.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#5]
checking in...still need a barrel!
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#6]
My barrel needs to be replaced badly.

Any word ?
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#7]
6 month check in...still need a new barrel!
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#8]
how about now?
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow, and no one else has thought to manufacture barrels for GSG 5/522/16 series rifles?
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Popcop:
Wow, and no one else has thought to manufacture barrels for GSG 5/522/16 series rifles?
View Quote

not that I can find!
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Chris, does the parts shortage pertaining to GSG-5/522 barrels also effect other model specific parts like breech block assemblies, trigger parts etc?  From your informed opinion, what will the future hold for owners of legacy GSG-5s like myself if there are no more spares?
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 8:06:47 AM EDT
[#13]
If the new barrels are still threaded into the breech block are the threads the same between metal and lightweight models?  Then one could use their old block and removed new barrel from the lightwieght model?

Seems like on some GSGs the barrel would losen on its own after firing - they may loctite them now.  The only thing one would need to be careful about is perhaps recutting the extractor groove if needed.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The struggle is real.

I've had an open PO for GSG-522 Barrels (and 1911 barrels.  and firefly barrels.  and slides for both) on order with GSG since February and have thus far received zero this year.  That Feb PO replaced an August 2019 PO for the same.

So, in regards to the GSG-5/522/16 barrels, here's some info:

After GSG's majority shares were sold to the L&O group (who also owns Sig, Mauser, Blaser, Diana Airguns and several other businesses) GSG's in house manufacturing was scaled down to pretty much just assembly.  All or most of the machines (not sure what they have, I haven't gotten to tour the factory in many years now) were removed and parts supply was farmed out to other businesses.  With that, GSG stopped having produced any parts that were not compatible with the newer GSG-16.  One of the biggest parts to drop off was a barrel for any GSG-5 or 522 that had metal receivers.  That includes:

GSG-5
GSG-5P
GSG-5PK
GSG-5 Limited Edition (2009)
GSG-5SD
GSG-522 w/ Metal Receivers
GSG-522P
GSG-522PK
GSG-522SD w/ Metal Receivers

When GSG introduced the "light weight" version with Polymer receivers at the end of 2010, the design of the receivers changed the breech block on the end of the barrel, so barrels for light weights are not compatible for guns with metal receivers.  When we attempted to order more standard weight barrels earlier this year, GSG told us they no longer are producing them.  So, the only barrels they will still be providing are for the polymer receiver 522s (which were only the carbines) and its the same bbl for the 16.

The other issue they have s that in Germany, barrels (and slides) are serialized items that require all the standard stuff that shipping a gun does.  So, there's additional licensing etc involved for them to get them to us.  I do not know if the parts like the guns are required to be proof tested by the government like the guns are, which would add in an additional hurdle.  Each firearm, prior to being approved for export, has to actually be fired by a government official who then has to apply the proof stamp on each gun.  If each barrel has to go through the same thing, I could see that being a giant pain in the ass but still.

We continue to push them to get us what we need but man, its been a tough road with a steep hill.
View Quote

Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top