Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2018 9:06:55 PM EDT
Like the title states, looking to get into thermal. One buddy recommends FLIR....and another recommends Pulsar....which is the better of the two and why?  Also open to any other suggestions...those just happen to be the only two companies I am familiar with in the thermal game. Thanks

Note-Only plan on mounting it on my AR
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 9:30:12 PM EDT
[#1]
What’s your budget?
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Ford or Chevy?  Figure out what you want to,do and what you want to spend and then buy the model that fits that best.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want sound, good customer service, rechargeable battery packs that last all weekend, streaming to your phone, and picture-in-picture, buy a Pulsar.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Pulsar.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want sound, good customer service, rechargeable battery packs that last all weekend, streaming to your phone, and picture-in-picture, buy a Pulsar.
View Quote
Someone must have paired one with a Google Glass for a HUD

Just out of interest, what do you gain from streaming to a phone?
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#6]
And who said rechargeable battery packs don't work with FLIR stuff?

Where are Pulsar products manufactured?  I know FLIR is US.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not us...Our TNVC TRB is working well with the entire PTS line and soon to be RS line.
View Quote
I do appreciate your approach to the problem and sorry for not mentioning it.  For me personally, hunting with wires poking out of things is asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We include THIS free with each Pulsar system that has the StreamVision along with a free weapon QD Mount.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM7n8vIJPVk
View Quote
Alright well that's a nice reason to stream to a phone/tablet
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the point was integrated direct connect battery packs. Not through a cable remote mounted.  The Pulsar system is much slicker for batteries.  The external wired packs certainly work but it is another layer to get ripped off or disconnected.  Not bad, just not as good.  The streaming comes in more handy than you’d think.  Maybe not for everyone every time but I’ve been on enough hunts where night vision/thermal units were fewer than hunters and letting someone beside you in the blind see the action has been nice now and then, though I was using it through an ATN device/app.

Really, if you want the budget side, Pulsar has the better image and Flir/Armasight have the extra features like internal recording.  Want to spend $4000-$8000 and they both offer a lot of options to fit a lot of different desires.  To say one is hands down better or worse for every situation is simply untrue.  They both are worth the money and both have things people will hesitate over.  Pick what works for you
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#12]
You can send video clips to your buddies or post to YouTube almost immediately.

Or like me, I can send a quick picture to a landowner and request permission to blast the hogs I'm looking at on his property.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think the point was integrated direct connect battery packs. Not through a cable remote mounted.  The Pulsar system is much slicker for batteries.  The external wired packs certainly work but it is another layer to get ripped off or disconnected.  Not bad, just not as good.  
View Quote
X100
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

FLIR's customer service is worthless. I had a problem with a NV lens and they wouldn't even respond to my (multiple) emails.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just out of interest, what do you gain from streaming to a phone?
View Quote
Spotter: "I have spotted something, check it out"
Shooter (looks at it on his phone, which he has because everybody has one): "Neat"
Shooter: [Shoots it with his rifle, which has an NV scope on it, which he can afford because he didn't drop 4 grand on his own thermal]
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We include THIS free with each Pulsar system that has the StreamVision along with a free weapon QD Mount.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM7n8vIJPVk
View Quote
So pulsar or flir? My shop has been waiting for our flir 233 shipment for our customers for almost 6 weeks now. Pulsar image quality and availability better than the flir?
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#17]
The difference in image quality between the pts and the comparable pulsar is a wash. So it would come down to users preference in operating system, and customer svc/support in the event breakage/malfunctions.  In my personal experience, I prefer pulsar operating system, and customer svc.  I own and use all three of the major mfg.  I’ve also needed warranty on all 3 .   pulsar/Sellmark is the best to deal with in the event of failure.  Armasight was the only mfg I received a non functioning unit right out of the box. This was recently, after they were absorbed by flir. But in fairness, I can’t say what, if anything flir has to do with flagship armasight stuff.  Maybe it was sitting in the warehouse for a year before the buyout.....  I should also note that my trouble with support was with IRD, before they were bought by trijicon. I actually had a trijicon rep contact me and get situation resolved, as the buyout was in progress.  I’ve only purchased one unit directly  from trijicon since then. Have no issues since .  Hope this helps
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The difference in image quality between the pts and the comparable pulsar is a wash. So it would come down to users preference in operating system, and customer svc/support in the event breakage/malfunctions.  In my personal experience, I prefer pulsar operating system, and customer svc.  I own and use all three of the major mfg.  I’ve also needed warranty on all 3 .   pulsar/Sellmark is the best to deal with in the event of failure.  Armasight was the only mfg I received a non functioning unit right out of the box. This was recently, after they were absorbed by flir. But in fairness, I can’t say what, if anything flir has to do with flagship armasight stuff.  Maybe it was sitting in the warehouse for a year before the buyout.....  I should also note that my trouble with support was with IRD, before they were bought by trijicon. I actually had a trijicon rep contact me and get situation resolved, as the buyout was in progress.  I’ve only purchased one unit directly  from trijicon since then. Have no issues since .  Hope this helps
View Quote
I guess time will tell how it goes with Armasight & FLIR. Previously they've been rather helpful when purchasing an NV body only or some single accessory, even though it would ship from the US to EU and be a hassle bigger than usual. Last time it was different and this was after FLIR came into the picture. Of course it could be just luck on who you happen to get in contact with, dunno, but it was a FLIR guy and the response was short & negative on purchasing something directly from them.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I recently ordered a Pulsar Trail LRF XP50 through my LGS; but it will be a couple months for it to get built.  But I was told that up front.
My LGS sells quite a bit of thermal and has a good repoire with Pulsar.  Pulsar has been good to him.

I was wanting to go with FLIR or Armasight but kept hearing about less than stellar CS and always the delays on 640 core thermals (or rather my impatience with the optic I wanted with a 640 core not being developed yet); then there was the price point on what I wanted.  
He also explained the no BS warranty with Pulsar; if there was a problem bring it to him.  The problem gets fixed in short order, the unit gets exchanged for a new unit, or the unit gets updated or your purchase price goes toward an upgraded unit if that model is discontinued.  Basically the problem gets fixed and you leave happy.

Meanwhile, I wanted a thermal to use as a spotter and it needed to have a reticle feature also (I can't justify a single purpose thermal due to cost).  
My LGS talked me into a Pulsar Apex XQ38 thermal 384x288 core for this purpose.  
He has used quite a bit of thermal over the years and hunts weekly or several times a week and this is the thermal that he prefers and uses.  It is the best for the type of hunting that he does.  He has no desire to video his hunts.

I'm still getting used to it; but I think that it is going to work out fine. I thought I'd be a little let down using a 384 core; but no, I can see extremely well with it.
I bought the external battery for it and I think that that is one thing that I don't care about it.  Although I do like the power capacity that it offers.

Hindsight being better than foresight; I probably should have gone with the Trail XQ38 384x288 core because the battery would be a sleeker package, it offers a ranging reticle, and the video and Wifi option (although I don't need it).  Pulsar only has white hot or black hot on the thermal scopes; it would be nice to have a couple color pallets available.
The Wifi option to the Ipad or smart phone is a good option; it would let others in your group see what the thermal is seeing.  That OWL unit was a great idea also.

I'm still interested in the FLIR PTS233 and 500 series; but I'd like to see FLIR's CS improve a lot and their products actually be available when they say they will be.  
A friend has an Armasight and he is happy with it although he has to plug in a recorder if he wants video.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top