User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2018 10:24:52 PM EDT
Added a Wild Pig Hunter!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice looking knives. TOPS makes some great knives. Have you ever watched the video the designer of the Tahoma filed knife made explaining the design? If not search inner bark outdoors on YouTube. He's a cool dude.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep it oiled and Do not leave it in the leather sheath if you're not carrying it.

It will rust. Yes I know it's carbon steel.

I have the same knife. Made sure I oiled it after handling it. Put it in the sheath and left it on my reloading bench. A week later when I removed it from the sheath I found rust specks where the leather was in contact with the steel.

I didn't think it would rust so quickly. Awesome knife otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep it oiled and Do not leave it in the leather sheath if you're not carrying it.

It will rust. Yes I know it's carbon steel.

I have the same knife. Made sure I oiled it after handling it. Put it in the sheath and left it on my reloading bench. A week later when I removed it from the sheath I found rust specks where the leather was in contact with the steel.

I didn't think it would rust so quickly. Awesome knife otherwise.
View Quote
Interesting! I will probably make a new sheath for it anyway. I was disappointed with the factory one off the bat because it is pretty lame and poorly executed compared to what Buck puts their knives in. The tip of the blade is like a thick exacto knife blade!
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Interesting! I will probably make a new sheath for it anyway. I was disappointed with the factory one off the bat because it is pretty lame and poorly executed compared to what Buck puts their knives in. The tip of the blade is like a thick exacto knife blade!
View Quote
I'm guessing tanning salts in the leather given how quickly rust appeared even with oil on the blade.

TOPS had a limited edition Wild Pig Hunter in all black with a form fitted Kydex sheath at one time.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen it offered as an option for the Wild Pig Hunter.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 12:22:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nice looking knives. TOPS makes some great knives. Have you ever watched the video the designer of the Tahoma filed knife made explaining the design? If not search inner bark outdoors on YouTube. He's a cool dude.
View Quote
Watched it several times before I bought it! The Tahoma and the BOB are my favorite two knives. I wish they had the warranty like ESEE but oh well. The WPH is a nice knife but I doubt it will be as useful as the other two.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 4:59:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh. I like the Pig hunter. A modern take on the classic Arksansas Toothpick.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 7:18:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I wish they would bring back the Exfiltrator 5, I have looked for that one for years without any luck.
I think of it as the modern version of a PUMA White Hunter.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#8]
That's such a great looking blade (at least to my eye) and yes, reminiscent of the Arkansas Toothpick to a degree.  Some of TOPS' designs are a little over the top and they're pretty pricey just considering the materials used; however, I can stand behind their heat-treatment which is top notch and one of the best in the business.  I own probably a dozen TOPS knives and the are dependable working blades and meant to be used hard.  If you can't find at least one of their designs that sings to you, I really doubt your enthusiasm for knives of any kind.  Congrats and a great blade!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I definitely have to agree that some of their designs are odd to say the least, but they seem to be moving towards more useful knives vs odd comic booky tactical knives. There are several more I'm interested in like the Tex Creek XL and the Prather War Bowie(stupid name, nice knife). I kind of wish they wouldn't put the dorky names on the side of the blades.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I have that same knife, OP. It came sharp as hell, and the point was very...pointy.
Great knife and like others have said keep it oiled!
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 10:59:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome.
Love me some TOPS.

They don't get enough attention.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 1:59:14 AM EDT
[#12]
How do you like the BOB? I really want one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I really dig it! A very handy sized knife that came shaving sharp out of the box. I was torn between it and an ESEE 4. I ended up getting the BOB and falling in love with it. It may not have the ESEE guarantee but one I don't see myself breaking it and two it is a lot more refined than an ESEE. Don't hesitate to get one.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top