Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/5/2021 10:57:43 AM EDT
https://www.savagearms.com/impulse

I'm looking for a precision-like rifle in a couple months and this looks pretty interesting

Introducing Impulse | NEW American-Made Straight-Pull Rifle from Savage
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Very cool
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow. I'm interested to see these come out and put through their paces by some of the gun channels on Youtube. I want to see how they hold up, and what their price point is. Hopeful for some Magnum calibers, standard or short configuration.

ETA: Savage website shows 300 WM and 300 WSM....
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I want one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Neat.

Although I do see myself loading up some slightly hot handloads and locking myself out of the gun
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I love savage rifles. My very first .22 rifle at seven years old was a savage and my current hunting setup is a savage.

But how in the world has savage not been sued in today’s political climate for their name by the woke crowd? Lol
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#7]
after watching what some European shooters are capable of with their straight pulls as far as speed and accuracy, I think it's cool as hell. Not sure why they are not popular here.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Am I seeing their pics correctly?  The receiver is used as a clamp to hold the barrel in place?

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Isn't this similar to what Blaser does, but w/ BB's instead of a split collet?
I wonder if this is like Peter Fortner's patent (Heym30)
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:06:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Am I seeing their pics correctly?  The receiver is used as a clamp to hold the barrel in place?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33552/Savage1-1765032.jpg
View Quote

Oh I'm sure there's a pin or two in there as well...

regardless, I will be watching this closely.  Nice rifle, and definitely a "will buy" after they've been tested real world.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#11]
The ball bearing bolt lockup is pretty interesting.   Probably wouldn’t take much dirt in there to cause problems, still, interesting.

Looks like the lockup happens in the barrel extension.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Isn't this similar to what Blaser does, but w/ BB's instead of a split collet?
I wonder if this is like Peter Fortner's patent (Heym30)
View Quote

Blaser:

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Very cool
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#14]

@sgtlmj
What are you trying to show me? I know how the Blaser rifle works, that's why I cited it. The bolt handle rotates and the cam spreads the split collet. It looks like the Savage does the same, but w/ BB's instead, like the Heym.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks really interesting.  I'd like to try one out.  

What's the weird bipod attachment on the predator version?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:36:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://i.ibb.co/H719k5N/final-5ff49240f7b94a00d5194bfa-481405.gif

@sgtlmj
What are you trying to show me? I know how the Blaser rifle works, that's why I cited it. The bolt handle rotates and the cam spreads the split collet. It looks like the Savage does the same, but w/ BB's instead, like the Heym.
View Quote

Yup. Just helping your post out with a photo for the knowledge of the thread. I've always been fascinated by the Blaser action, but thought that a bit of sand could lock up the collet. I think the ball bearings would actually be more resistant to fouling.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Interesting but that seems like not a lot of mass for locking.  Yea you got a circle of balls but how do the wear in and wear out over time,  How well do they hold headspace over time,   Massive Mauser lugs are a little more instilling of confidence.

Cool concept for sure but I wouldn’t want to be the beta tester.  .  

That said I like the modern Savage efforts to push technology.  My hat is off to them.  (Except for ditching the old chief logo, that was a huge brand misstep)

Very interesting with the user adjustable bolt angle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Interesting but that seems like not a lot of mass for locking.  Yea you got a circle of balls but how do the wear in and wear out over time,  How well do they hold headspace over time,   Massive Mauser lugs are a little more instilling of confidence.

Cool concept for sure but I wouldn’t want to be the beta tester.  .  

That said I like the modern Savage efforts to push technology.  My hat is off to them.  (Except for ditching the old chief logo, that was a huge brand misstep)
View Quote

Good point! Even roller-locked HK firearms have some wear-in that has to be accounted for with + sized rollers.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I looked it over on their website.  surprisingly no .223 rem caliber offering.   Their predator model has 22-250 and 243 options.

Maybe they didn’t want to compete with that lighter varmint rig they sell with the action and barrel sharing the same piece of steel.  That gun doesn’t excite me either.  Too much the economy gun.

I wish they made a mini 110 action.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:21:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I’m all for new designs in the bolt gun field, and I hope this one works.   That is a lot of pressure held back by a half dozen bearings,  I just hope it works as intended.    You can imagine where that bolt will end up if the system fails.

I do like the direction Sig and Savage have gone using a lockup in a bbl extension.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#22]
If it wasn’t for the accu trigger I’d be all in...I’ll probably get one anyway.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:25:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I like it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Locking using ball bearings?  Gonna wait to see how this works out before buying
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I like that they’re trying new stuff, even if it is ultimately a failure.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Its just a copy of the Heym SR30 design. With some small improvements.

Heym SR30: Straight Pull Ball-Bearing Lock?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Is the Fix not American made?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Oh I'm sure there's a pin r two in there as well...

regardless, I will be watching this closely.  Nice rifle, and definitely a "will buy" after they've been tested real world.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/33552/Savage1-1765032.jpg

Oh I'm sure there's a pin r two in there as well...

I doubt there are pins.

This isn't new as the Desert Tech SRS has used the clamped in method for a long time now.  The bolt locks into the barrel extension so it's not a problem.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Amazing. Switch barrel straight pull at Savage prices?

Would have cost about 4k to get this capability previously.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I like that they’re trying new stuff, even if it is ultimately a failure.
View Quote

You said it better than I could.  It'll end up a footnote in the history books.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Good point! Even roller-locked HK firearms have some wear-in that has to be accounted for with + sized rollers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool concept for sure but I wouldn't want to be the beta tester.  .  

Well, I would imagine if your "locking ring" started to wear and headpace became excessive, you could simply loosen the barrel jam nut, set the barrel back slightly and relock the jam nut.  If there's even .010-.020" of clearance between the bolt face and breech face, that would probably get you past the life of the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:47:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I doubt there are pins.

This isn't new as the Desert Tech SRS has used the clamped in method for a long time now.  The bolt locks into the barrel extension so it's not a problem.
View Quote

The Blaser doesn't really have a receiver. The bolt slides into the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is the Fix a straight pull? Thought it was conventional.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Someone leaked this a little while ago but the videos got yanked before I could watch them. Love new stuff.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I looked it over on their website.  surprisingly no .223 rem caliber offering.   Their predator model has 22-250 and 243 options.

Maybe they didn’t want to compete with that lighter varmint rig they sell with the action and barrel sharing the same piece of steel.  That gun doesn’t excite me either.  Too much the economy gun.

View Quote

A mini 110 would be cool. They do the 25 but I don’t know how it’s constructed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fix is straight pull.  The Sig look alike is conventional.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Very cool!
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#38]
I like my K31 straight-pull rifle.  Accurate, but hard to find the ammo for it.  Also can't mount a big scope.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#39]
For straight pull, why not design it like a charging handle? Pull it back and let 'er rip closed via a spring.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:Fix is straight pull.  The Sig look alike is conventional.
View Quote

The fix is a 45 degree throw.  IIRC the Sig is a 65 degree throw.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t think you’re correct. Neither the Fix or Mini Fix is listed as a straight pull on the Q website and videos of them firing show conventional bolt movement. It says it’s 45 degrees in the descriptions.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#42]
If you have to thumb the button and straight pull back, how is this any faster than, say, a 45 degree turn?

Not hating, just don’t see the benefit.

ETA I’ve shot a straight pull .22 but that’s it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
For straight pull, why not design it like a charging handle? Pull it back and let 'er rip closed via a spring.
View Quote
With no primary extraction you need some inertia developed to pop the case free is my guess.  

Quoted:

The fix is a 45 degree throw.  IIRC the Sig is a 65 degree throw.
View Quote

Quoted:

I don't think you're correct. Neither the Fix or Mini Fix is listed as a straight pull on the Q website and videos of them firing show conventional bolt movement. It says it's 45 degrees in the descriptions.
View Quote

Huh my bad.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
With no primary extraction you need some inertia developed to pop the case free is my guess.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Extraction would happen when the shooter pulled the charging handle back. This is just a thought puzzle for me. What's the reason to manually drive the bolt forward for the feed and chambering? It could be made like a "gas-less" M14.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Extraction would happen when the shooter pulled the charging handle back. This is just a thought puzzle for me. What's the reason to manually drive the bolt forward for the feed and chambering? It could be made like a "gas-less" M14.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I'm not explaining it well.  Because there is no mechanical extraction multiplier, like the cam at the rear of a traditional bolt gun receiver to start extraction, simply pulling a lever like your example of a gasless M14 would, with a lot of chamberings, require a significant amount of force (then compounded by the addition of a spring).

Now, if you further modified the M14 example so the charging handle wasn't fixed, but rode in a slot with some limited amount of travel so that you could start pulling it back with very little resistance and develop some inertia to start extraction, that would probably work just fine.

The examples of AR15s converted to gasless straight pull guns are typically 300 blackout or 5.56 which don't need a lot of primary extraction so they work ok.  But start getting into 22-250 and other higher volume cartridges and the problem becomes greater.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I want one.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would bet if it is successful, a short pull 223 version will be made.
Quoted:
View Quote
A. That would make it harder to pull back. B. Your hand is going to forward again anyways to get back to the trigger. C. You have to package the relatively large spring somewhere.
Quoted:
If you have to thumb the button and straight pull back, how is this any faster than, say, a 45 degree turn?

Not hating, just don’t see the benefit.

ETA I’ve shot a straight pull .22 but that’s it.
View Quote
After the gun has been fired, the bolt is run without pressing the button. The button is only for releasing the bolt without firing. Think pump shotgun slide release.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
A. That would make it harder to pull back. B. Your hand is going to forward again anyways to get back to the trigger. C. You have to package the relatively large spring somewhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll buy that. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'll buy that. Thanks.
View Quote

If that's what you really want, a side charge AR with the gas off would provide it. And let you shoot semi when desired. Can't get that in 300WM though.

I think Savage's gun is an interesting idea, but conventional bolts are ultimately simpler than a straight pull. I definitely wouldn't sell my model 10 to buy this.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#50]
I mean I understand. Don't want to buy the rifle I described. Already have enough of the M14 platforms.

My bolt actions are Remington 700.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top