Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2023 12:21:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: michealj]
Haven’t seen it discussed yet and they are some pretty big changes, which I’m guessing are to address the pierced primer issues with 6.5 Creedmoor.

Firing pin tip O.D. new on the left.

Firing pin travel limit change for shorter bolt. Grooves at the base of the firing pin.

Smaller diameter firing pin hole. Both bolts are new, but the newest one (on the left) has definitely been test fired.

New bolt is about 1/8” shorter.

Extractor pin is retained with a roll pin. New bolt on top.

Interesting that it’s actually retained.

Both new bolts are MPI stamped, my original is not, and the new one is stamped HP. I’m assuming for high pressure tested.

They are not interchangeable, they only work as a set.

I have both 308 and 6.5 barrels, once I get some free time and it stops snowing I will get to the range for testing. I’ve put several hundred rounds of 6.5 through my rifle and I haven’t had any pierced primers, but they are pretty close with hot hand loads.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting. I think that is the fix a lot of people were proposing when the 6.5 issues started popping up.

Did you ever shoot factory ammo out of your 6.5 barrel?
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#2]
A few boxes of Hornady 140gr.  ELD-M and 140gr. HPBT from Magtech.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By michealj:
A few boxes of Hornady 140gr.  ELD-M and 140gr. HPBT from Magtech.
View Quote

Good to know. I have a theory about most of the pierced primers coming from factory ammo loaded with bolt guns in mind. Most of the people shooting hand loads or the Hornady stuff seem to be unaffected.

It looks like the new bolt firing pin combo will be a good fix.  

Hopefully this will spur FN into producing more barrel assemblies. The dried up pretty fast, especially the 6.5s.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#4]
When I sent my 20S CM in for popping primers, they sent it back with new FP and bolt. Seems to have corrected the issue. Ammo exhibiting the issue was Nossler 140gr.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top