Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2020 1:43:01 AM EDT
I really don't have any time for prototyping these days, but I grabbed this pistol a month ago for this reason, so just needed to get it done.  

100% 17-4 H900, 1.25 x 6.5", 8.7 ounces with booster assembly.  Haven't metered it yet, just put a few through it out back, but my ears liken it to a suppressed .22 pistol running hyper velocity ammo.  Comfortable to naked ears, quieter than your typical 9mm 147 gr. sub loads suppressed, but a bit snappier than 158 gr stuff like Fiocchi.  Gun cycled well as long as I maintained a firm grip.  Honestly, my biggest concern with this gun was case head ruptures, but the cases show no evidence of early breech opening.

Welding was tricky.  The blast chamber is .030" wall, but the rest of the baffle skirts are just .020" wall.  

The booster is a little unique in this critter, and it's one area that I plan to refine.  But I did this prototype build with no drawings, and it came out quite well considering.

Time will tell if the pistol itself can handle the extra strain of running suppressed.  I'll do my best to keep this updated!
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 1:46:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow that’s pretty cool!
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 1:49:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 2:18:22 AM EDT
[#3]
gorgeous. I need to do some form 1s
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 7:14:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 7:23:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I need one
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 7:23:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Very nice as always.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Your work is fantastic. I enjoy seeing all the projects coming out of your shop.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your work is fantastic. I enjoy seeing all the projects coming out of your shop.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:04:03 AM EDT
[#9]
If I can ever get any more 5.7 ammo in, I intend to test the snot out of this.  I'm hoping to be able to get away with the piston also being the barrel extension without modification to the slide, but it's really thin and pretty small diameter with .413 OD to match the barrel and 3/8-28 threads, so that's what I want to see go the distance before the design goes prime time.

Would be nice if Ruger would just put out a threaded barrel, but working with what we can get for now!
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought those were fixed barrel? Why the booster?
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#11]
That’s a fantastic weight for that size and materials with a booster.  I wonder how that design would do bored to 9mm?

Seems like most of the FN 5.7 suppressors are boosterless.  Does the Ruger use a tilt breech lock mechanism?  IIRC the FiveseveN is some kind of retarded blowback.  

I’ve heard the round suppressed on PS90s and AR57s, but not on a pistol yet.  Other than ammo expense it’s a fun little round.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a delayed blowback, and the barrel does reciprocate.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That’s a fantastic weight for that size and materials with a booster.  I wonder how that design would do bored to 9mm?

Seems like most of the FN 5.7 suppressors are boosterless.  Does the Ruger use a tilt breech lock mechanism?  IIRC the FiveseveN is some kind of retarded blowback.  

I’ve heard the round suppressed on PS90s and AR57s, but not on a pistol yet.  Other than ammo expense it’s a fun little round.
View Quote

I'll probably make a 9mm version at some point, though I usually make pistol cans serviceable.  The 5.7 is all jacketed ammo and all high velocity, so no worries of lead build-up and little concern over carbon.

The Five-seveN is lever delayed blowback.  While they can function with a rigid mounted can, and the Ruger may as well, it's hard on everything to add so much mass when the thing is only designed to cope with a 3 ounce barrel.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#14]
That is so cool. Your works looks great.  

How was the handling with it on?

A modular, serviceable version would be cool so guys could run it long/short or on 22lr-5.7 and clean it out for the dirty rimfire ammo.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A modular, serviceable version would be cool so guys could run it long/short or on 22lr-5.7 and clean it out for the dirty rimfire ammo.
View Quote

It would also be a LOT heavier.

Doing fully welded tubeless critters with high strength materials is the best way to keep weight down without sacrificing durability.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It would also be a LOT heavier.

Doing fully welded tubeless critters with high strength materials is the best way to keep weight down without sacrificing durability.
View Quote

That makes sense.

With a can that light does it feel like a rimfire can on the end of it?
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, interesting. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#18]
That looks awesome!

Quoted:

View Quote

Is it similar to a Beretta 92 action?
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 12:33:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Ran some American Eagle ammo through it today, was noticeably louder to my ears than the FN SS197 I ran yesterday.  

Quoted:

Is it similar to a Beretta 92 action?
View Quote

The Beretta 92 is a locked breech. The Ruger 57 employs lever delayed blowback; you can retract the slide while holding the barrel stationary,  but it takes considerably greater effort than holding the frame and allowing them to move together.  That mechanical advantage is what keeps the breech closed long enough to prevent case ruptures without having to have a very heavy slide.

That's why I chose to build this with a booster rather than strain the system with a rigid mount.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 1:37:31 AM EDT
[#20]
That’s cool.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If I can ever get any more 5.7 ammo in, I intend to test the snot out of this.  
View Quote

I have a couple cases of 5.7 ammo on the shelf.

Give me a shout if you want me to drop some off.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Got a chance to shoot a little yesterday, did a quick video with this.  Definitely having issues with feeding when the gun is level, issues that really weren't present when I was testing in the hole out back of my shop with the weapon angled down at ~ 30°.   I've had this happen before, though in the past it was with Browning type short recoil pistols, the weight of the can keeping the chamber mouth elevated just enough to disrupt feeding when the gun was more or less level.  With the Ruger, it's double feeds or ejecting a spent case and a live round at the same time, like the extra weight keeping the the recoil almost completely on the horizontal axis is causing the rifle-type double feed magazine to try to empty itself.  I'm not sure it's an issue I'll be able to effectively resolve, but I think messing with the feed lips is gonna be the first approach, and perhaps increasing or decreasing magazine spring power.

I did meter it off camera, it's hovering around 131 dBA with the FN SS197.

I apologize for the wind noise, these phones pick up even the slightest breeze like they're gale force winds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRP9u63h55A&feature=youtu.be
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Got a chance to shoot a little yesterday, did a quick video with this.  Definitely having issues with feeding when the gun is level, issues that really weren't present when I was testing in the hole out back of my shop with the weapon angled down at ~ 30°.   I've had this happen before, though in the past it was with Browning type short recoil pistols, the weight of the can keeping the chamber mouth elevated just enough to disrupt feeding when the gun was more or less level.  With the Ruger, it's double feeds or ejecting a spent case and a live round at the same time, like the extra weight keeping the the recoil almost completely on the horizontal axis is causing the rifle-type double feed magazine to try to empty itself.  I'm not sure it's an issue I'll be able to effectively resolve, but I think messing with the feed lips is gonna be the first approach, and perhaps increasing or decreasing magazine spring power.

I did meter it off camera, it's hovering around 131 dBA with the FN SS197.

I apologize for the wind noise, these phones pick up even the slightest breeze like they're gale force winds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRP9u63h55A&feature=youtu.be
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 1:30:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Ruger is coming out with threaded barrels for these. Not sure when, but SilencerShop has had them in for testing.  Once you get into subsonics with 5.7 they're going to favor sub 6oz cans.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 1:43:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ruger is coming out with threaded barrels for these. Not sure when, but SilencerShop has had them in for testing.  Once you get into subsonics with 5.7 they're going to favor sub 6oz cans.
View Quote

Isn't subsonic 5.7 basically a jacketed .22LR?
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 12:50:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not really.  there are 57gr sub expanding all copper 5.7 loads, as well as 55gr M193. Those are going to tumble and penetrate further than most .22lr. :D Certain 55gr FMJ (SMK) has the ability to penetrate IIIA soft and rigid armor too.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 10:27:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

No it’s less reliable than 22lr standard velocity and has a much greater likelihood of squibs due to the empty space with the larger case volume and subsequent inconsistencies in powder burn
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#30]
That is an awesome looking can.  Any chance something similar could be made as a recore.?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top